Best custom shop for a seven string?

• Thread starter joates2384
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rhoads18

Reaction score
+1

You really do have to do your homework prior to ordering from a custom luthier. Consider your specs, how much you're willing to spend, the luthier's reputation, customer reviews...

I've dreamt about my custom many a time in a snooze-inducing Physics lesson, and I'm pretty that it'd be a built best suited to Mike Sherman or ONI. Due to the fact that it'd have fanned frets (24" - 28"), a high grade quilted maple top dyed purple with a glossy clear coat and Bare Knuckle Nailbombs, it makes sense that I'd ask either of these two luthiers to build it. Hufschmid/Blackmachine guitars, while I'm pretty sure are outstanding in their own right, are not about this vibe.

Yeah, I think I'd go for Oni too. Originally it was Hufschmid for me, but after sending him 2 emails he told me to stop emailing him and give him a call to figure every little detail out. That's all and well, but I live in Canada, so $50 on a phone call for a theoretical guitar just wasn't the way to go.

Talking to Dan (the Oni luthier), he sure knows his stuff. Heck, after talking to him, I was looking at being able to have a fan-fretted 8-string with a built-in preamp and a Floyd Rose style tremolo made for me. Also, the guy made a separate trip to a machinist to get the specs for a locking 8-string nut. He's also sent me close to a thousand emails about every conceivable aspect to getting a custom guitar built exactly how I want it.

Talk about service

')