Best Digital Audio Interface (Focusrite vs Behringer vs Audient)

Vinny554

Reaction score
UPDATE:
So...I’m both really confused and flustered now at this point. If any of you could help that’d be great.

I took the dive into the Audient iD14. Babyface was still a good $400 more and had no luck finding a used one, but I’ve listened to some audio demos of the iD14 vs Scarlett and the Audient seemed like the way to go.

So I ran my guitar into the DI...AND IT’S CLIPPING LIKE SERIOUSLY? On hard strums and palm muted chugging, it hits the unholy red and I have no clue why.

Yes, I ensured the +10db setting isn’t on.
Yes, the gain knob is turned all the way down.

Audient support is nonexistent and I’m literally going to lose my mind. Ive tried this with 2 different guitars, both Humbucker passive pickups and the same result. I’ve tried different guitar cables, and I’ve tried using the wall power (maybe a load issue?).

So upset because I bought this legitimately for the purpose of not having DI clipping.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Damn that's a shame to hear. A design issue just like the Focusrite - prioritizing plenty of gain on tap and forgetting that metal players with twice the pickup output exist.
At this point I'd probably fork 100 for a used Radial DI to run infront then xlr into Audient mic pre. This will be an incredibly nice setup. I'm surprised this is the first time I've heard of this issue with Audient - are your pickups extra hot ? Potentially backing pickups off will help enough, if it's not something you've already dialed to your preference.

Vinny554

Reaction score
Damn that's a shame to hear. A design issue just like the Focusrite - prioritizing plenty of gain on tap and forgetting that metal players with twice the pickup output exist.
At this point I'd probably fork 100 for a used Radial DI to run infront then xlr into Audient mic pre. This will be an incredibly nice setup. I'm surprised this is the first time I've heard of this issue with Audient - are your pickups extra hot ? Potentially backing pickups off will help enough, if it's not something you've already dialed to your preference.

Dude this is what is mind blowing to me. I have not found a single other thread on the internet of someone having this issue. I’d imagine my guitars are not extra hot. I have an Ibanez RG7 with DiMarsio D’Activators and a bone stock PRS SE SVN setup. Hard to believe it’s the guitars.

Last edited:

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/articles/202395129-iD14-Getting-Audio-In-and-Out-Mixer-Basics

You probably missed something simple during setup. It’s very unlikely that the signal is actually clipping. Running a trim/gain plugin first, to reduce track volume, will likely allow for clean playback without distortion at the previously “clipped” transients.

Check your setup though. There has to be an input level on the id14 that can be adjusted. Make sure the clock source is your DAW etc.

Reactions: fps

Vinny554

Reaction score
https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/articles/202395129-iD14-Getting-Audio-In-and-Out-Mixer-Basics

You probably missed something simple during setup. It’s very unlikely that the signal is actually clipping. Running a trim/gain plugin first, to reduce track volume, will likely allow for clean playback without distortion at the previously “clipped” transients.

Check your setup though. There has to be an input level on the id14 that can be adjusted. Make sure the clock source is your DAW etc.

I don’t think I missed anything. The clipping is shown on the actual iD software as well, not just in Logic.

Gain is all the way down on the Line 1 knob.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
If the gain is all the way down then there should be no signal showing; unless I’m misunderstanding something.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
If the gain is all the way down then there should be no signal showing; unless I’m misunderstanding something.

The interface controls are usually increase only - not decrease. Some are being designed with the lowest input gain being enough to take heavy guitar up to digital 0dB, sadly. This was a very known issue with Focusrite but first I've heard of it with Audient

Reaction score
Not sure where you heard that Focusrite preamps are bad. The Gen 2 Scarlett interfaces had an issue with DI guitar and bass signal clipping the preamp, but that's been fixed in Gen 3, but for Mic Pres, you'd be hard pressed to find better at the price point. I'm still running an older Gen 1 Scarlett 8i6 and honestly, I feel no need to upgrade to anything else.

I've also heard nothing but good things about the Steinberg interfaces if you feel like taking a look at those too.

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
Happy with my Scarlett. For the money, it's a pretty decent buy. Definitely in the tier of affordable interfaces like the Behringer and Audient models you mentioned. RME is obviously an upgrade and obviously not in the same tier. Really shouldn't be comparing them at all to what's mentioned in the title (Focusrite vs Behringer vs Audient). If you wanna talk serious interfaces like the RME then you need to be comparing Focusrite's Clarett line, Audient iD44, UAD Apollo's, etc.

Jbutts

Reaction score
I recently picked up the Presonus Audio Box USB 96 from Sam Ash for $89.99. Zero complaints, but the best part is that it comes with Presonus: Studio One Recording software.

raytsh

Contributor
Reaction score
I had issues with always clipping when I tried a Scarlett 2i2 and I now use an old Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 (the silver one). I'm very happy with the performance.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
That's unfortunate.

As an RME Babyface Pro user I can say I've dealt with a total of zero issues after upgrading to it from my presonus firestudio. If you're on Windows I think a quality usb interface is the best choice for stability / long-term support. RME also has their drivers in order. I just reformatted and getting my audio and daw back up and functioning was an absolute breeze.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
^^ I've had my eye on it, but the price is still too restrictive. 600 Euros is my whole rig minus the guitar.

skmanga

Reaction score
Has anyone here had success with the Steinberg ur22mk2 for guitar recording and vsts?

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Has anyone here had success with the Steinberg ur22mk2 for guitar recording and vsts?
Its pretty good, could use some more headroom, but no complaints regarding regarding reliability

skmanga

Reaction score
Its pretty good, could use some more headroom, but no complaints regarding regarding reliability

Ive read mixed reviews with some saying its good for guitar with its high z input, and some saying its not and wish it had a pad.

With guitar as my main instrument i want to make sure any interface i get is fully capable in that regard

chopeth

Reaction score
I use it with TH3-U and the results are very good, total reliability, obviusly high z input for metal and also great cleans. I'm thinking of buing another unit for my other place.

Latest posts

')