Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
I just would like to hear what all of you have to say on the issue of the best distorted tone you've ever heard. Who was it? What band (if any)? If you know, what kind of amp and guitar was used?

For me, I have a close call between two tones. I think Patrik Jensen from The Haunted has the best distorted tone, specifically on rEVOLVEr, where he used a Peavey 5150 and either an ESP Viper Urban Camo or his custom ESP EX Urban Camo. IMO, fucking amazing tone.
(For the record, the tone on The Dead Eye is fucking killer too, but rEVOLVEr's seems to stand out to me more)

My second place goes to Jeff Loomis from Nevermore, specifically on This Godless Endeavor. I believe he recorded with a Schecter Hellraiser through a Mesa Dual Rectifier and/or Krankenstein.

Bjorn from In Flames is pretty up there on my list too. :tmm:

What do you guys think?

Prime example of the best ever:
The Haunted - "No Compromise"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score
John Petrucci on Dream Theater's Train of Thought. He used his Music Man signature models (and a PRS, I think) through a Mesa/Boogie Roadking. Absolutely immense rhythm tone right there.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I seem to remember a track Vai recorded for Inteview with a Vampire that had a really cool rhythm guitar tone, sounded vaguely marshally but crystal clear and smooth at the same time. I heard it once maybe 6 years ago though, so take this with a grain of salt.

I like a lot of Devin Townsend's Strapping Young Lad tones, on the heavier side of things - Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing has some great metal tones on it. And JP's live tone from his first G3 tour was to DIE for.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Devins tone on CITY
i think he was on the ESPs and Peavey 5150
but not 100%

kristallin

punk'd
Reaction score
Billy Howerdel on the first A Perfect Circle album is definitely one of my faves, besides Vai and Hevy Devy. Plus, the lead line on Maria McKee's "Absolutely Barking Stars" which has that Mick Ronson-esque quality to it, great tone. Played by Ms McKee herself, AFAIK.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Metallica on the Load album.
Best tone i've ever heard.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Jon Schaeffer on "The Blessed and the Damned" album.

Dethklok (Brendan Smalls, et. al.) in "Go Into the Water"

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
thinking about it, Petrucci's tone on Six Degrees had be going :drool: for a while

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score
Billy Howerdel on the first A Perfect Circle album is definitely one of my faves
I have always found that the sound of A Perfect Circle is more about brilliant production and not actual tone, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Everything seems blended together smoothly, making it hard to focus on and analyze the sound of a particular instrument, for me.

MrJack

Paha Arkkitehti
Reaction score
thinking about it, Petrucci's tone on Six Degrees had be going for a while
:yesway:

Also Stam1na's tone. If I remember correctly the latest album was a 5150, Dual Rectifier and a Stiletto for the solos.

And for anybody interested, the 4 subjects in the videos are the band members:
A= Pekka "Pexi" Olkkonen (lead guitar/backing vocals)
B= Kai-Pekka "Kaikka" Kangasmäki (bass/backing vocals)
C= Antti "Hyrde" Hyrynen (vocals/rhythm guitar)
D= Teppo "Kake" Velin (drums)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Rhythm - Tie between LoG, especially on the 'Killadelphia' DVD, and Jeff Loomis, especially the 'This Godless Endeavor' album.

Lead - Hmm. Maybe EVH, circa Van Halen? Perhaps Reb Beach... anytime, really. But his tone on his solo album is particularly bad ass. I also dig Yng's tone on the G3 DVD, and on his Concerto. God. There's many lead guys who's lead tone I dig.

For low gain dirty shit, probably SRV. 'Texas Flood.' Brr. What tone!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i really dont know.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Lead - Brian May, Tom Scholz, David Gilmour. Sustaining, liquidy "singing" stuff > snarl/crunch.

')