Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalmonster

Reaction score
iron maiden's tone is pure sex too . kiko loureio's tone is hot as hell too .

mastodon tone , on march of the fire ants \m/ nile tone also . fuckin' brutal \m/ but not too tight and i hate looseness when talking about MY tone ... love when everything is tight and clear-sounding even with huge bass and ungodly distorted \m/

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
i dunno if this has already been mentioned (too many pages to trawl through!) but dimebag's tone on Far Beyond Driven is heavier than the earth times two. it just slices your face off, it's razor sharp, ultra scooped, dark as fuck, and just sick. the intro to 'slaughtered' is just pure brutality.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
i didnt realize i had posted here twice, but i'll post a 3rd time. Sodom, M-16 \m/

metalmonster

Reaction score
my tone is not bad too ...

heavy as FUCK \m/ (tried bi-amplification with my lil' vox with the HM-2 and my randall side by side ... not a lot of gain , a brutal playing and that's it ! pure meshuggah-like awesomeness ... )

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
i know im gonna get mocked for this, but ive always loved Mark Tremonti's (Foremerly of Creed) distorted tone in the song "What If". That song and that tone was the reason i even started playing guitar!

metalmonster

Reaction score
huh yeah

i love is stephen carpenter's tone too . and mershuggah tone . i believe i also love tesseract's sound to death (these guys rock \m/ )

i love the sound of a 5150 boosted with TS9 w/ some good ibanez in front (love laney amps too) ... the sound of all brit' amp (they all share the same sound and feel but each has his own sound ... love that ... between the richness of an orange to the classic warm and a little fuzzy marshall tone to the warm crunch of a vox ... )

dime's tone ? that why i have a randall at home :D

plus it was a good , lively and cheap tube amp . love his sound , really nice , needs an eq a 4x12 and to be modified into a amp head to really sound at it best and to look better lol (yah , some tweed head case should look nice with a custom engraved metal plate saying "RANDALL" ...)
i think i can do awesome things with that lil' fucker ... plus it has a bit of USA-highgain flavour , handles the lows well ... one thing , the sound should be tighter but with better pickups and an eq and a 4x12 ... ) i'll make it run with a laney into a stereo 4x12 with swamp thang from hell (300w each side should be sufficient for two 50w heads lol) ... this will seriously kick balls \m/

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
Opeth on MAYH (SGs, Jackson RR1, Gibson LP -> 5150, Powerball, and there is a Boss HM-2 some where on that album)
Marty Friedman and Jason Becker in Cacophony "Speed Metal Symphony"
Paul Gilbert when he is doing the Racer X thing (look it up on his website, always Ibnez though)
Frank Zappa, you pick it, it rules. Carvin amps mostly, and what ever gutiar he could mod the hell out of.
Camel. Sweet sweet leads
Mountain because Leslie West rules
John Scofield on Uberjam
SRV is a DUH
Ulver on Bergtatt
My Dying Bride on The Dreadful Hours
Ephel Duath on RePhormula

Wow I have a lot

metalmonster

Reaction score
yeah ^-^

gojira sounds good because they're french . french metalheads sound better and lourder and fuck harder :scream:

the good ol' carcass one is awesome too . (on heartwork ... aaah ... so much unheartly fatness ... )

hum ...

what cab opeth uses with their laneys ?

yaw , HM-2 was used by opeth oO :D
[i'd love to have a laney VH100R and an ENGL blackmore on an orange cab ... huuuh ... pure awesomeness ... )

The Trooper

Disposable Hero
Reaction score
I like lots of different tones actually. I liked:

Metallica's on MOP, TBE, and Load (three distinctly different sounds). Lots of IIC+, Triaxis, ADA MP-1, etc...scattered out there.

Iced Earth on Alive in Athens, EMG 81 loaded guitars into Larry amps.

Alice in Chains Dirt, a mix of a Bogner Fish, Mesa Recto, and Rockman.

UGH

Reaction score
Chris Poland's tone on "Row Of Crows" from Return To Metalopolis. PRS into what, I'm not sure, I'd have to check. Crystal clear crunch. And I don't even like PRS'.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
ANIMALS AS LEADERS

I've also always loves bulb's tone in the video of him playing Icarus Lives with a JP7 through an ENGL Invader 150 and an Orange cab it just sounds so "pillowy" (I geuss thats the word) and thick. I get like a giddy school girl whenever I watch that video.

Last edited:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score

Kind of a cheesy ballad, but shimmery cleans and an absolutely fluid, singing lead tone.

John Sykes had his sounds completely pegged on that album.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
sepherus, you actually like the tone on Speed Metal Symphony? Some of the worst mixing I have ever heard.

awesomeaustin

hates neck pickups.
Contributor
Reaction score
for rhythm: Unearth's The Oncoming Storm-favorite tone EVER!!!!
VHT Pitbull UL i think
Ibby S series with EMG's, I heard somewhere that they used an EMG 60 6 string in the bridge of their 7 strings, I know Buz uses a Maxon OD808

for lead: Mikael Akerfeldt's tone on A Fair Judgment, or the little jazz solo he does in Ghost of Perdition.
Laney, PRS, SD Full Shred's

FYP666

Kick The Gates Open
Reaction score
Petrucci on DT's Train Of Thought was to die for! :yesway:

Also Hevy Devy's SYL stuff like City was 100% Hevy! :agreed:

')