Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

graciouspatty

Reaction score
Just listen to Opeth's "Baying of the Hounds". As soon as the song starts, you're immediately hit with the thickest wall of guitars you've ever heard

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-METALIEN-

Reaction score
i´d say Meshuggah Obzen.
And if anyone knows Fuzz(not around anymore)
they had a killer tone, too.
But i like my tone, too ;)

Duke318

Reaction score
Pretty much any chimaira album...

Earth Crisis, to the death album, FJA modded 5150

Nonpoint's tone.

astaroth

Reaction score
For me the thickest great sounding distortion I've really liked was from Nile's Annihilation of the Wicked album.

Defsan

Reaction score
Michael Romeo's tone on Divine Wings of Tragedy sounds very heavy, especially for power chords and chugging.
But yeah, overall Petrucci has the best tone for me, and perhaps Cannibal Corpse, in their "overly technical" era, like Gore Obsessed and The Wretched Spawn.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
I can't really get into Infinity, not to say it's because of the tone but I got into Devin and SYL really late in their careers so it's so weird to hear that kind of stuff and think it's the same guy from SYL

However, this has a killer tone as well :

Dude, you've got unlock you're brain from that mindset... you'll miss out on so much stuff if post-Alien SYL is your benchmark for what Devin does... because i changes from album to album (even the ones under the SYL moniker)! :nono: Terria is one thing... Ocean Machine is another... the first SYL record is very different yet (even though it was written at the same time), The Hummer is something else entirely. He's been moving around from the outset of his career, which is why things like Ki and Ziltoid should never come as a surprise to anyone. :cool:

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
For me, I have a close call between two tones. I think Patrik Jensen from The Haunted has the best distorted tone, specifically on rEVOLVEr, where he used a Peavey 5150 and either an ESP Viper Urban Camo or his custom ESP EX Urban Camo. IMO, fucking amazing tone.
(For the record, the tone on The Dead Eye is fucking killer too, but rEVOLVEr's seems to stand out to me more)

the tone from that album is one of my favs as well :tmm:

other than that i like older As I Lay Dying tones...nice middy punch to them. I think they were using Dual Rec if im not mistaken with Ibby's

AbstractAsylum

Thoroughbred of Sin
Reaction score
The leads on Planetary Duality.

The rhythm tone on the song Dead Heart in a Dead World.

The solo to Alien Hip Hop by Planet X.

dclayton1388

Reaction score
Between the Buried and Me. Their alaska tones were absolutely phenominal. The crunchiness had a perfect blend when it came to it's bite. The cleans were so rich and melodic and at times jazzy. Colors tone also was amazing, just like silent circus..and..everything else Paul Waggoner has ever done haha.

But yeah. Between the Buried and Me, Best distorted tone in my opinion.

Murmel

Reaction score
I never really find one tone that I like so much that it becomes my favourite forever. I jump between different tones.
Right now, I'm really into the tone of guitarist Miya from the Japanese band Mucc. I eeked like a little girl when I saw them live, because I hadn't heard any of their 7-string songs, and there he is, with a seven :D

They're probably my favourite band atm. They play different styles. From metal, rock, alternative, funk and probably some more. I love how they incorporate all of this into their writing. It makes for some really awesome variety.

TheSilentWater

is a nerd.
Reaction score
It may not be my favourite, but Porcupine Tree's tone on Anesthetize, specifically the part in the instrumental of the second section that alternates between 21/16 and 23/16 (at 9.34) is really smooth but also reasonably fuzzy sounding, whilst retaining clarity... If that makes sense... AFAIK, PRS into a Bad Cat amplifier, but they might not have been using Bad Cats back then.

[P.S. Yes, I am a bit of a PT fanboy.]

revclay

Reaction score
Here are some of my favorites.

Jesu - Silver
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Boris - Heavy Rocks
Katatonia - Night is the New Day
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Tool - Lateralus

Reaction score
Gary Holt - Exodus
Mille/Sami - Kreator ("Enemy of God" had awesome distortion)
Fredrik Thordendal - Meshuggah
Ryan Waste - Municipal Waste
Devin Townsend
Paul/Dustie - Between the Buried and Me
Kurt Ballou - Converge (specifically "Jane Doe")
DL - The Acacia Strain (the first time I heard "The Dead Walk", I thought I was going to kill someone)

There are other honorable mentions as well, but these stick out for me.

Polyformic

Reaction score
In Flames - Soundtrack To Your Escape has the best rythm tone IMO.
Also a lot of nu-metal and industrial-metal has good tone. For leads, I love Darkest Hour.

')