Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
Even though I'm a metal fan through and through, I have to say Breaking Benjamin always seem to have some seriously thick guitar tones.

I've always like Nevermore's sound, ESPECIALLY when it was Loomis/Broderick. Loomis gets some sick tones on his solo album as well.

It's hard to pick an overall best, but if I had to sound like someone the rest of my life, Jeff Loomis would be hard to beat. He also has good taste in guitars.

lookralphsbak

Reaction score
Triptykon

This tone is evil, dark, and heavy... Clench your butt cheeks because Satan will sodomize you while you're listening.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Rammstein tone
System of a down tone
Dream theater's tone In Images and Words
Train of thought, and Systematic chaos
James LaBrie solo album with marco Stofgli, best 7 string tone ever :D

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
I seem to remember a track Vai recorded for Inteview with a Vampire that had a really cool rhythm guitar tone, sounded vaguely marshally but crystal clear and smooth at the same time. I heard it once maybe 6 years ago though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Die to live?

And for me, it's probably something like Alter Bridge-Blackbird for a fat rhythm tone
For a really heavy, death metal-ish sound, I always really liked these walls shall be your grave by brutality.

For leads, I really like too wide of a variety to even say.. I love Brett Garsed's solo album tone, as well as Holdsworth's tone around 16 men of tain. Andy Timmons always has amazing tone, and Guthrie Govan's tone is always fantastic. I also love most 80's hotrod marshall/soldano lead tones like such as reb beach, but eddie van halen around VH1 will probably always be my favorite.

Dunloper

Reaction score
The best tone I've ever heard is MY TONE. Yeah right. :squint:

Between the Buried and Me. Their alaska tones were absolutely phenominal. The crunchiness had a perfect blend when it came to it's bite. The cleans were so rich and melodic and at times jazzy. Colors tone also was amazing, just like silent circus..and..everything else Paul Waggoner has ever done haha.

But yeah. Between the Buried and Me, Best distorted tone in my opinion.

I have to agree with you on this one. Only complaint I have is their low end seems a little muddy. Other than that their tones really stands out.

Also I really like the tone on planetary duality. But some of my friends' opinions are different about that. Apparently the guitars sound too compressed? Not for me haha.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
As I Lay Dying- The Powerless Rise
Born Of Osiris- The Discovery, The New Reign, A Higher Place
Veil Of Maya- [id], The Common Man's Collapse
Scale The Summit- The Collective
Protest The Hero- Kezia
Periphery- Periphery, other Bulb stuff
Children Of Bodom- Are You Dead Yet, Blooddrunk, Relentless Reckless Forever.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
I personally love imperfect tone, as gritty and hellish as it may be. It has a certain masculinity to it.

Haters gonna hate...

evolusean13

Reaction score
hmm. this is a hard question if you're asking "of all time". i wouldnt even know where to start looking. ive been through so many musical phases but really stayed heavy throughout. AT THE MOMENT it would have to be #1 with Emmure's Speaker of the Dead and #2 Rings of Saturn's Embryonic Anomaly. i was surprised with rings of saturn's tone considering they paid for it themselves and all that pre-label stuff. dudes have got some serious gear though. but Emmure's tone is just so heavy. they're both in drop A so big up to the both of them.

Monk

Reaction score
After searching for almost 20 years, I have 2 favorites:

My Les Paul Custom (PAF pickups) --> Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb

My Ibanez JEM7V (Evolution pickups) --> Line 6 Toneport GX (L6 Big Bottom panned hard left; Diamondplate panned hard-right)

:hbang:

JakSchitt

Tonehound
Reaction score

This for rhythm. The whole album is awesome sounding but this song stands out for me.

Joels lead tone is so good...

Blind Theory

Reaction score
Pretty much anything that After the Burial does...I want to make sweet love to their guitar tone on the albums and live for that matter. It is really trebley but awesome at the same time...I don't know how to explain the way I perceive it.:shred:

Latest posts

')