Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Mine.

Because the main one I have dialed in is everything i've wanted in a tone..

Thickness, but still relatively tight, punchy, throaty mids, but not honky, cutting/biting high end, but not too harsh.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I've probably said this already but it's Pat O'brien's tone on 'Evisceration Plague'. 'The Wretched Spawn' has an equally awesome tone.

tjrlogan

Reaction score
The frist time I heard Dino Cazares' machine gun riffing on Fear Factory's Demanufacture I was blown away. Years later...I still love it. He's probably not the most technical player, but it definitely helped me bridge the gap from poppy rock/metal to the heavier stuff - hence it will always be special to me.

Panacea224

Reaction score
My favorite has to be Jeff Loomis on DHIADW and Obsidian Conspiracy.

Other favorites would be Metallica on And Justice for all, Lamb of God, Petrucci, Trivium on Shogun, and Arch Enemy.

Sikthness

Reaction score
For pure heaviness, without a doubt Ion Dissonance's tone on Solace. No band has even come close to approaching the scathing and corrosive guitar tone on that CD.

rjnix_0329

Reaction score
For really great rhythm tone, I loved Levi and Werstler's tone on Daath's "Day of Endless Light" and the tone on Becoming the Archetype's Dichotomy record, though that was probably as much Devin Townsend's production as it was their tone. Speaking of Devin, the swirly, dreamy, distorted tone he uses when he starts playing his big arpeggios is kind of hard to beat!

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
for pure aggression and brutality......I'm goin with anything of Misery Index's Heirs to Thievery cd.:shred: I like the tones Stephen has on the newest Deftones cd as well. My favorite tones actually comes from Overkill's Horrorscope.:bowdown:

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score

^ Marshall DSL 100, boosted.

Holy fucking fuck.

That's a superb tone. I'm used to Grave sounding really muddy and undefined, which always put me off (though to be fair it was probably the production that did that and not their playing) but that, that is fucking amazing.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Ty Tabor on any album, or Petrucci on six degrees. Really love the sounds he gets out of his Mesa's, and not a big fan of all these new bands with blaring mids and whatnot.

Curt

Reaction score
I already posted but this one also does it for me:

[Youtubevid]edVbz_uXJd0[/Youtubevid]

Everytime I watch this, I have Cornford GAS. I just simply cannot get that lead tone out of my mesa...

Curt

Reaction score
Ty Tabor on any album, or Petrucci on six degrees. Really love the sounds he gets out of his Mesa's, and not a big fan of all these new bands with blaring mids and whatnot.

I love using a good bit of mids. but I am not really a fan of the way a lot of bands now have this overly honky sound to their riffing because they crank the mids on mid heavy amps...

I have mine turned up a fair bit, but that's on a recto...

Lagtastic

Five Align
Reaction score
The Eyes of Medusa - Symphony X. There's just something special about that tone...

Also the rhythm guitar tone on the Master Puppets album for old school stuff.

tribalfusion

Reaction score
Allan Holdsworth on so many recordings and Scott Henderson also on so many but especially the self titled Tribal Tech album

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
I've probably said this already but it's Pat O'brien's tone on 'Evisceration Plague'. 'The Wretched Spawn' has an equally awesome tone.

My fave Cannibal tone has be Gallery of Suicide tone. Its warm and dark and fits the atmosphere on that album

I also love the tone of Immolation on the Harnessing Ruin album

datalore

awkward soul
Reaction score
Probably not the best distorted tone in the world, but when I was 12 or 13, I got this Embodyment record and sat around spinning it constantly, marveling at the precision of the guitar playing and the heaviness of the guitar sound. I don't care for the message of the band anymore, but this still forms the core of my representation of a heavy guitar sound:

Other very important distorted guitar sounds to me:
-Nuno Bettencourt on Waiting for the Punchline
-John Petrucci on SDOIT
-Gordie Johnson's big fuzzy Garnet Herzog sound
-Devin Townsend's many distorted sounds
-Kurt Ballou's many distorted sounds
-The guitar sounds on the Cursed records
-The guitar sounds on Bloodbath's Resurrection Through Carnage

Reaction score
The Ocean on Aeolian,Meshuggah on last albums,War From A Harlots Mouth on MMX,Converge,Cult Of Luna,Ion Dissonance.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I have lots of favorite different kinds of distortion.

I also like Gojira's tone on From Mars to Sirius.

')