Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeeballcore

Reaction score
Probably not the best distorted tone in the world, but when I was 12 or 13, I got this Embodyment record and sat around spinning it constantly, marveling at the precision of the guitar playing and the heaviness of the guitar sound. I don't care for the message of the band anymore, but this still forms the core of my representation of a heavy guitar sound:

Seconding this awesome tone and album. That sound is courtesy of a Marshall Valvestate, as are several other records recorded at Poynter's Palace (CD's from the golden age of Solid-state Records).

My contribution

Especially at 1:39

Hideously under-appreciated band

Probably posted umpteen hundred times, but i love the tone

Another example of Valvestate being awesome

Xplozive

Reaction score
Petrucci's off the Score dvd. Epsecially when he played raise the knife. Damn.. love his tones.
I agree with this. The tone he gets on that whole dvd is amazing. Althought Raise The Knife really is amazing, especially the harmonics he gets out of that intro riff.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
For really great rhythm tone, I loved Levi and Werstler's tone on Daath's "Day of Endless Light"

<3

Rhythms on the Wintersun songs Jari didn't use the Tokai telecaster :wallbash: :lol: on (Death and the Healing springs to mind) were beastly, beefy and badass, and to this day the reason that I think Mesas are the best tube amps (his lead tone is cool but eh nothing special)

Sylosis's new album (Edge of the Earth) has probably the best balance of rhythm and lead tones I've heard in a while, latter-day SYL came pretty close too, and BTBAM are probably the closest I have to ideal thanks to them having beautiful clean tones (Jeff Loomis has cool rhythm tone but by god are his cleans cheesy). Oh, and The Black Dahlia Murder's album Deflorate, also awesome.

Damn, how much do I pimp out Wintersun and Sylosis on these boards :lol:

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
^ Yeah I love Daron's tone for rhytm, but his leads sound so fucking empty D:

I heard this thing yesterday and was pretty impressed by the tone

jsl2h90

Reaction score
The tone of the final solo of the Cacophony song "Go Off!" It's so saturated with distortion but still perfect, i don't even know how to describe it. I've been trying to emulate it for years to no avail.

Samarus

Reaction score
I love Petrucci's on SFAM, Govan's, and AAL's on Weightless!

Selkoid

Reaction score
Rhythm: The Contortionist - Exoplanet

Lead: Paul Wardingham - Assimilate Regenerate, Christian Muenzner - Timewarp/Cosmogenesis

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Ditto to Cacophony! I thought I was the only one that likes Jason's tone. There was another thread on SS.org about worst tone and a bunch of people brought Becker up.

Big fan of Engel's rhythm tone. Heavy but not too distorted.

EVH on Balance and FUCK.

Hendrix on Electric Ladyland, Bold as Love, and live at Woodstock and Monterey.

And I love Gilbert's tone on Fuzz Universe.

wayward

Banned
Reaction score
I'm really loving Michael Keene and Steve Jones' tone on The Faceless' Akeldama album.
Especially their lead sound.

Thor_

Reaction score
For me it's the guitar sound on the last 3 black dahlia albums. It's just so punchy and brutal. :shred:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Rammstein. Reise, Reise and Rosenrot albums. 28 layers of pure 2-channel blackface Dual Recto done. :hbang:

Also gonna throw out there Dino's tone on the first Fear Factory album, Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime, and any Scorpions album released between 1980 - 1993.

')