Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
Generally, Warren Haynes. There's just something incredibly *right* about his distorted sound. I'm also a fan of Tom Morello's and Sonny Sharrock's Marshall tones.

skoatdestroy

Reaction score
for me the rhythm tone goes hands down to vogg of decapitated off of organic hallucinosis its just fucking brutal as for lead tone john petrucci for sure

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
anyone know any specifics on the Carcass - Heartwork tone?

I've heard that its basically 5150 and Marshall Guv'nor. Also read that Steer used a marshall 10 watt mini stack for some stuff (??)

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
For me it's the guitar sound on the last 3 black dahlia albums. It's just so punchy and brutal.
I agree. Especially on Ritual, both the rhythm and lead tones are some of my favorites in metal.

Whenever I think of Brian's rhythm tone, the adjective that most comes to mind is "beefy."

Outside of metal, I like Govan's tones the best. He just finds the sweet spot with warmth and crunch, plus the really beautiful, smooth and glassy neck pickup work.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
My fav rhythm tone of all time has to be Killswitch's End Of Heartache album. Fav lead tones are The Faceless' Planetary Duality, and Born Of Osiris' The Discovery.

Although I gotta admit, Ryan Knight's lead tone on Deflorate is tasty as fuck.

The best live tone I've ever heard is Born of Osiris with Periphery coming in a close 2nd. I also saw Tesseract recently and their tone is ridiculously good

Thor_

Reaction score
I agree. Especially on Ritual, both the rhythm and lead tones are some of my favorites in metal.

Whenever I think of Brian's rhythm tone, the adjective that most comes to mind is "beefy."

Outside of metal, I like Govan's tones the best. He just finds the sweet spot with warmth and crunch, plus the really beautiful, smooth and glassy neck pickup work.

I personally like the rhythm tone on Deflorate the most, for whatever reason. Unfortunately for me, I think they mix 3 amps together to get the sound they use. I may be wrong--in fact, I hope I'm actually wrong on that, because I'd like to copy their tone. :lol:

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
I personally like the rhythm tone on Deflorate the most, for whatever reason. Unfortunately for me, I think they mix 3 amps together to get the sound they use. I may be wrong--in fact, I hope I'm actually wrong on that, because I'd like to copy their tone. :lol:
I thought Ryan had posted here a while back that it was all 6505's with Maxons. Maybe I'm remembering wrong and he was talking about their live rig, but I could swear it was a thread about their studio setup. :scratch:

Edit: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/116877-black-dahlia-murder-amps.html
Nevermind, 5150 rhythm, uberschall for leads

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the band, but Bullet For My Valentine's distorted tone on The Poison was awesome, in my opinion.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the band, but Bullet For My Valentine's distorted tone on The Poison was awesome, in my opinion.

Yeah. I'm liking them less and less but they always have an amazing sound. Really thick and crunchy. They do have some really cool riffs and some good, well-written songs, but it just isn't my thang any more.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
It may be sloppy, dirty, and rough around the edges, but I'm still in love with Red Fang's tone.

Kyuss should probably be mentioned in any serious discussion regarding distortion.

And Disma sounds positively tectonic.

')