Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
IMO, the tone on Nocturnal is the best for me. They took something that wasn't really death metal sounding (like scooped mids, etc.) And made it sound so evil. Their tone is very middy to me, and I had never heard that on a death metal album without it sounding... wrong. Most people equate death metal tone to the whole scooped mids, and tons of gain. Plus the attack of their tone in Nocturnal is sickening.

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
Big fan of the tone on Avenged Sevenfold's "Waking the Fallen" album. Specifically on the song radient eclipse. Its obviously a pretty standard dual rect tone but it sounds absolutely killer and the peak delay just came out cool as hell in some of the parts. I imagine back then it was probably through either a les paul or a schecter c1.

I also enjoy john petrucci's tone in systematic chaos. Im a huge fan of that album and it came out particularly heavy i think.

Thor_

Reaction score
I thought Ryan had posted here a while back that it was all 6505's with Maxons. Maybe I'm remembering wrong and he was talking about their live rig, but I could swear it was a thread about their studio setup. :scratch:

Edit: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/116877-black-dahlia-murder-amps.html
Nevermind, 5150 rhythm, uberschall for leads

Hey, thanks for that! I wanted to believe it was some enigmatic studio tone but I guess it's just another 5150/6505.

Azure

Reaction score
I like the aggressive tone from Chaosphere a lot. Blackwater Park also had some really good distortion (The beginning riff in The Funeral Portrait sounds huge).

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
Big fan of the tone on Avenged Sevenfold's "Waking the Fallen" album. Specifically on the song radient eclipse. Its obviously a pretty standard dual rect tone but it sounds absolutely killer and the peak delay just came out cool as hell in some of the parts. I imagine back then it was probably through either a les paul or a schecter c1.

I also enjoy john petrucci's tone in systematic chaos. Im a huge fan of that album and it came out particularly heavy i think.
or a esp, carvin or even parker

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
lol its pretty funny about a fifth of the tones listed on this thread come through a peavey 6505/5150

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
I like the aggressive tone from Chaosphere a lot. Blackwater Park also had some really good distortion (The beginning riff in The Funeral Portrait sounds huge).

You know i always thought that was a huge riff and it was just the thickest song i have ever heard until i listened to it through my studio headphones and it seems kind of empty when you hear it clearly. Isnt that weird? Still love the riff. Awesome song.

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score

lol Interesting that band is like a 50/50 blend of Pantera and Black Sabbath.

I dig the tone though, can totally hear the tubes, and doesn't sound extremely compressed like every other band nowadays.

Been listening to the new Blotted Science and love Ron's tone

Totally agree :D

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
And Disma sounds positively tectonic.

If agreement were strawberries, you and I'd be drinking a whole lotta smoothies right now.

That whole record is just heavy as balls. I love it!

jsl2h90

Reaction score
^ Ditto to Cacophony! I thought I was the only one that likes Jason's tone. There was another thread on SS.org about worst tone and a bunch of people brought Becker up.

Big fan of Engel's rhythm tone. Heavy but not too distorted.

EVH on Balance and FUCK.

Hendrix on Electric Ladyland, Bold as Love, and live at Woodstock and Monterey.

And I love Gilbert's tone on Fuzz Universe.
Hendrix's tone was brilliant on everything, but if I had to pick a single song I'd go with Peace in Mississippi, even though everyone thinks of the Crash Landing album as an abomination.

Becker's tone was amazing! I think some of those guys might have been on some mind altering drugs to think of him as having the "worst" tone :ugh:

Now that Becker's been repped I've gotta bring up Shawn Lane. I loved his tone on Powers of Ten.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Mick Marrs on any Crue release but especially Dr Feelgood & the Self Titled album with John Corabi on vocals.

And I am sure he been mentioned a million times but worth it again, Sykes on Whitesnake's 1987...

Grimbold

Reaction score
the best distorted tones aren't neccesarily heavy

i've always thought the way jack white uses distortion is really cool

Seventary

Norwegian metalhead
Reaction score
I think Cradle of Filth's distortion on Midian was pretty good. Sort of an organic, vintage sound and heavy as hell. :)

Genome

Reaction score
The Black Album, naturally.

Train of Thought is good but a little bit overdialled for me and they pushed a bit too hard. I preferred BC&SL, a little bit smoother, and my god, those chords at the beginning of Nightmare to Remember.

Starts around 25 seconds.

')