Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Lead:
I'd say Gary Moore's on "The Loner" live

Mikael Akerfeldt's lead tone on live shows

Rythm:
Killswitch Engage in "Alive Or Just Breathing?" Fender Strat with EMG single coils all the way, amazing tone:

Unearth in their "The Oncoming Storm" album. Brutal.

Machine Head in "Through The Ashes Of Empires"
holy shit!

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've always loved the Tommy Victor's tone on Prong's Cleansing. I also love the tone on Handsome's 1997 self titled album.

Handsome~

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Speaking of Amott, the tone on Carcass' Necroticism has always been one of my favorites as well. :agreed:

Makelele

Reaction score
I really like the tone on Opeth's Lamentations DVD. Especially on "Master's Apprentices". Porcupine Tree also has really awesome tone on both studio albums and on the live dvd.

I also like Devin Townsend's tone on most his stuff.

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
Scott Ian had a killer rhythm tone on some of the early Anthrax albums (check out "I am the law").

Eric Peterson/Alex Skolnick on "The Legacy".

For lead - Brian May on "Killer Queen" has a really lyrical/vocal quality.

Gilbucci

Dude..for real?
Reaction score
Petrucci's tone on ToT and Systematic Chaos (The Dark Eternal Night and Constant Motion especially) and Loomis' tone on This Godless Endeavour.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
The lead tone on tools parabola, during the second lead run. Its like back and forth between super saturated singing tone, which blooms into sawtooth waves, and back again

Reaction score
Soilwork's tone on Chainheart Machine and Predator's Portrait = :metal:
I really love the lead tones on those records, too.

I also really like Behemoth's tone on Zos Kia Cvltvs and Demigod. Their tone on The Apostasy is great too, but overall too muddy for my taste.

Also, Petrucci's lead tone smokes, and I really like his rhythm tone when he downtunes/uses a 7.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Say what you want about the band, but Slipknot's tone on Iowa is pretty cool. It's not how I would have dialed in the VHT (I believe Mick used a Pittbull on that), but it sounds great.

I also really love Machine Head's tone on their last 2 albums, as well as on "The More Things Change...". Also a big fan of Behemoth's Mesa tone on "Demigod" as well.

In terms of classic rock guitar tone, it does not get any better than Queen or Blue Oyster Cult IMO.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
adam jones, tom morello, dimebags, wes borlands, and jerry cantrell's distorted tones always tickled my pickle!

kristallin

punk'd
Reaction score
Here's one that no one has mentioned here: Martin Barre on Jethro Tull's Bursting Out album - that tone just screams classic British rock. Very underrated guitarist, too.

FortePenance

Reaction score
Hmm, actually I think my favourite distorted tone would have to be something like brown sound except slightly more high gain. Probably like the intro of About to Crash by DT.

')