Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
John Petrucci on Dream Theater's Train of Thought. He used his Music Man signature models (and a PRS, I think) through a Mesa/Boogie Roadking. Absolutely immense rhythm tone right there.

Yes, definately one of my favourite tones right there. :shred:

at the moment, Stephan Forte from Adagio. his rhythm and lead tone on the "Dominate" album is nearly perfection for me. his rhythm tone isn't overly gainy, but it just has this evil growl to it.

MySpace.com - Adagio - FR - Metal / Gothic / Progressive - www.myspace.com/adagioofficial

Stephen is awesome, also love his lead tone on Underworld, I believe he is currently using his custom LAG 7 guitar with 27 frets ( :bowdown: ) and with a H&K Triamp, or so I've heard...

Another favourite distorted tone of mine is Michael Romeo's on the latest Symphony X album 'Paradise Lost'. Definately his best so far imo, he used his custom Caparison Dellinger with Marshall and ENGL amplification on that one...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dtrax

Reaction score
GnR - Appetite for Destruction

Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time

Faith No More - King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime

Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom

Vai - pretty much all his shit...

Fear Factory - Soul of a New Machine (Dino's modded JCM800... heaviest tone ever IMHO)

Clutch - Spacegrass

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
there are sooo many...the first ones which come to my mind are:

iron maiden - piece of mind (first little solo on revelations...THATS tone!)
slayer - reign in blood
carcass - heartwork
sunn O))) live

and finally:

me + 7420 + diezel herbert

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
The tone from Evergrey on the "Torn" video teaser made me inspired.

And rammstein from Reise, Reise/Rosenrot (they were both recorded primarily at the same time). Spring is a good example of a great tone imo.

The lead tone on tools parabola, during the second lead run. Its like back and forth between super saturated singing tone, which blooms into sawtooth waves, and back again

Uh, I think I remember what you are talking about, but it wasn't on that song. I dont remember the name, but there is a point were its a sweel sustained/feedback bend on the guitar, then a bass swell with a bend (slide actually. I think justin played fretless on most of that album).

Shaman

Reaction score
Here I go:

-Andrew Latimer's (guitar player for Camel) lead tone on Snowgoose
-Carlos Santana's lead tone on just about anything he has done
-Steven Wilson's tone on Fear of a Blank Planet
-Max Cavalera's rhythm tone on Nailbomb's Point Blank
-Jeff Loomis' rhythm tone on all the 7-string albums, especially the remixed EOR
-Carcass' Heartwork
-Machine Head's The More Things Change

...goddamn, there are just too many of them...

Dr. Von Goosewing

Contributor
Reaction score
This is tricky because it's hard to differentiate between tone you like and bands you like. I find the best tones turn up on albums that aren't particularly my favourite. Anyway:

The Vision Bleak's 1st & 2nd albums sound great (5150's?)
"Blackwater Park" sounds awesome.
Can't argue with Carcass's "Heartwork" either.
Rammstein always have a great tone too.
Sepultura's "Roots".
The nu-metaller in me likes Vision of Disorder's "From Bliss to Devatation" too.

The best tones are the always the ones which fit the material being played just right.

wes225

Banned
Reaction score
B.C.Rich V
+
Bb Tuning
+
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
+
Pat O'brien
=
most brutal distorted tone ive ever heard.
the first little bit.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
B.C.Rich V
+
Bb Tuning
+
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
+
Pat O'brien
=
most brutal distorted tone ive ever heard.
the first little bit.

Well what you're hearing is the sound coming through the monitors after Neil Kernon's mixing/eqing and stuff, not what the amp is actually sounding like thru a cab. But yeah his Triple Rec boosted by a Metal Zone sound is pretty brutal. CC sounded absolutely amazing at last year's New England Metal Festival.

wes225

Banned
Reaction score
Well what you're hearing is the sound coming through the monitors after Neil Kernon's mixing/eqing and stuff, not what the amp is actually sounding like thru a cab. But yeah his Triple Rec boosted by a Metal Zone sound is pretty brutal. CC sounded absolutely amazing at last year's New England Metal Festival.
so ur sayin i could get that tone with a 99$ pedal? (heart explodes):hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
so ur sayin i could get that tone with a 99$ pedal? (heart explodes):hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

No, not at all. Metal Zones sound like shit normally. I'm saying Pat O'Brien goes guitar-->Metal Zone-->Triple Rectifier. He uses the Metal Zone as a 'clean boost' to give the Triple Rec more tightness, he's not using the distortion of the Metal Zone at all. 90% of pro metal bands do something similar, but just not with a Metal Zone as there are better sounding pedals to use as boosts out there.

All I was saying is the tone you're hearing in that clip is 100% from Neil Kernon's monitors, after the amp has been mic'd, processed, mixed, eq'd, etc. However, I've seen them live with the Triple Recs and they sound even better than that. When you're standing far away from a cranked Triple Rec, man they sound fucking amazing.

wes225

Banned
Reaction score
. When you're standing far away from a cranked Triple Rec, man they sound fucking amazing.
no shitoki. my GC is a authorized dealer for the. they have an entire room full of mesa's didnt play any:ugh: but i drooled over them for like 15 minutes straight.

how could i get that tone 4 cheap. aka mega uber brutal mesa tone

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
no shitoki. my GC is a authorized dealer for the. they have an entire room full of mesa's didnt play any:ugh: but i drooled over them for like 15 minutes straight.

how could i get that tone 4 cheap. aka mega uber brutal mesa tone

The only way to get it cheap and close, is with a cheaper mesa. The other option is a POD, but still, its not going to get you that close.

The only guaranteed option, is save up and get a Mesa, or something that will take the Metal Zone equally as well.

')