Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two..and an odd mix it is. For leads it's Prince's guitar tone, check out songs like Pink Cashmere, Peach and most notably Purple Rain. For rhythm and all around metal chunkery, Fallon Bowman mainly on songs like Choke, Johnny, and Brackish.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo

Reaction score
I don't think i've ever heard a massive ROAR anything like John Sykes' tones on the Whitesnake (1987) album. Those guitar sounds still get me off.

Gotta bump this post :shred: One of my favorite guitar songs ever....plus a little Tawny Kitaen? We have a winner :yesway:

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
For a lighter bluesy sound, it's gotta go to Kenny Wayne Shepherd on "Trouble Is...".

For heavier distortion, I'm really into Behemoth and In Flames as of late.

Chuck Schundiner's chorusy leads stand out to me for some reason (and alas, an 8200 is on the way :lol:).

Reaction score
rhythm - petrucci's tone on "in the presence of enemies", trivium's on crusade, opeth blackwater park era, bloodbath, necrophagist and ihsahns solo stuff

lead - petrucci NO DOUBT, and necrophagist's for the pure clarity!

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought Billy Corgan's tone on "The Everlasting Gaze"was amazing. I also thought the rhythm tone on Machine Head's "Ten Ton Hammer" ruled.

I completely share Shawn's love of the self-titled "Handsome" album... it is absolutely brilliant and has some of the heaviest tones I have heard still to this day... speaking of which Tom Capone's lead tone is consistently amazing with Quicksand as well.

But my rhythm tone idol is still Page Hamilton. His tone is huge :metal:

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
This is tricky because it's hard to differentiate between tone you like and bands you like. I find the best tones turn up on albums that aren't particularly my favourite. Anyway:

The Vision Bleak's 1st & 2nd albums sound great (5150's?)
"Blackwater Park" sounds awesome.
Can't argue with Carcass's "Heartwork" either.
Rammstein always have a great tone too.
Sepultura's "Roots".
The nu-metaller in me likes Vision of Disorder's "From Bliss to Devatation" too.

The best tones are the always the ones which fit the material being played just right.

The Vision Bleaks tone is fucking kickass.

I commend you for being aware of them! :metal:

dream-thief

I Am The Anger
Reaction score
rhythm - petrucci's tone on "in the presence of enemies", trivium's on crusade, opeth blackwater park era, bloodbath, necrophagist and ihsahns solo stuff

lead - petrucci NO DOUBT, and necrophagist's for the pure clarity!

That's pretty much exactly what I would have written :metal:

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
For me its a tossup between Jeff Loomis' tone on "Nevermore - The River Dragon Has Come"
Or Dino Cazares' tone on "Divine Heresy - Soul Decoded (Now and Forever)"

:hbang::metal::hbang::metal::shred::scream:

AVWIII

Pope of Chilitown
Reaction score
I generally like tight, clear, powerful tone. No scoopy muddiness for me.
Neuraxis - The thin line (and this is only basing it off of one song)
Necrophagist - Epitaph
And, oddly enough, Nuno Bettencourt's tone on "waiting for the punchline". I don't even like Extreme, but the tone he got with his Washburns -> boosted vibroverb is awesome!

FredGrass

Serial Chiller
Reaction score
London, Ontario - even the trees here are metal
The perfect metal tone, to me? Unearth - The Oncoming Storm. Every tone on that album speaks volumes to me in its raging voices. These motherfuckers came to London in Feb. '07 and changed my life. At some point during the show everything cut out and it sounded like the bass just slid down the low B from like an F#... coulda been up from the next B, or could have been anywhere for that matter, cause I don't know anything... but that shit rattled all that was left of my soul. Then Kerry King absorbed the remains shortly thereafter.

Also, as simple as it is, the first riff I ever learned on a seven string was the closing breakdown from This Lying World.

AVWIII

Pope of Chilitown
Reaction score
Augury's tone yesterday night was :O:O:O Both were playing 2 channel dual rectos too
Really?! I always wondered what Pat used. He had that weird rack setup and I swear it mainly consisted of a rackmounted mark III w. no actual head cab. I'd love to hear them now!

Seven

Contributor
Reaction score
The intro guitar on GN'R's Black Leather, probably Slash > Les Paul > Marshall.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Two of my all-time favourites are Gary Moore on Still Got The Blues (the song in particular), and Kee Marcello on Europe's Superstitious.

')