Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noob_pwn

Reaction score
my favourite rhythm is the black dahlia murder's tone on nocturnal.
BMTH's tone on suicide season is pretty godly as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gangaman

Reaction score
I would say dime`s tone ,VoM ,meshuggah (pretty much all they have done) ,and the one that i havent see a lot on this thread BULB!

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
After much deliberation, absolute favorite tone has to be eric johnsons cliffs of dover tone.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Oh, it definitely sounds fantastic, I just don't think it fits their music quite as well. :cool:

A bit OT, but the clean tone on that album, especially on that song is great.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
Meshuggah's tone (rhythm, lead, and clean!) on the NONE EP is mindblowing. the perfect blend of tight lows, bristling highs, and enough mids for maximum clarity. fuck yeah.

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
Rhythm: Meshuggah's Catch 33 tone.(does anyone know any details about that tone other than it being line6 stuff?) Beneath The Massacre's tone on Dystopia.

Lead: Fredrik's tone on the Alive DVD solos. Simply unique.

DjunkDjunk

Reaction score
Lessee...

Bulb's tones on the Periphery Disc are pretty exceptional. I want to hear him live, though.
Meshuggah-obZen, also the "Alive" DVD. They're using the Axe FX's now.
Pin and Dan Weller on "Death of a Dead Day"...not teh brOOtalZ, but very cool, nonetheless. Clarity and definition is not lost on me these days.

Check out Nevermore's Politics Of Ecstacy. Pat O'Brien's mid 90's Mesa Boogie Rig.
I don't know what Loomis was using, but I believe the bulk of the rhythms are Pat's rig.
Tight, focused, saturated. Fantastic.

guitareben

Reaction score
Jeff Loomis from Zero Order Phase.

I gotta agree with you there, Jeff Loomis's rhythm tone there is monstrous, defo my favourite metal tone. His lead tone is also really good to, but not the best.

My favourite tone would probably Steve Vai's tone. I just can't get enough of his smooth slick tone :D. His tone in where wild things are (his live DVD) was incredible, specifically in Now we Run and Building the Church, and as for his studio tone, Its all amazing (except flex-able heheh).

Antimatter

Reaction score
Steven Wilson has some really interesting tones in his guitarwork with PT. A lot of them sound really manufactured and mechanical, which kind of fits the dark, bleak mood of the music. Hatesong live was really good.

Also the best lead tone ever is Vai. No contest. :hbang:

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
i think my favorite tone of all times would be from Chimaira's - Inside The Horror ... i think that tone along with Flaw's - Medicate gets me freakin pumped!!

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
The tone that sticks out for me is Killswitch Engages tone on 'End of Heartache'. Especially 'Breathe life'. I also love the arch enemy tone on 'Doomsday Machine' album.

You can't go wrong with anything Andy Sneap has been a part of really.

I agree, also with My Curse, they just really had a fuckin tight yet huge sound.... loved it!

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Rhythm: Meshuggah's Catch 33 tone.(does anyone know any details about that tone other than it being line6 stuff?).

Well, they're Vetta II's direct to board, and from what a few people on here who've spotted their settings backstage, it's the Screamer stomp model into the Big Bottom amp model. Not sure about the cab/mic settings. Its not tough to get pretty much on the mark with an XT or later POD with the metal pack, really.

Keep in mind that a big part of their sound is the bass tone which fills in a lot more space than you'd think. If you take a listen to the interview where they're demoing songs, you can get a pretty good idea of how thin the actual guitar tone is, and what role in the bottom and the upper mids the distorted bass plays. :cool:

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Axe/Fx, as the "artificial" nature of the POD was a bit of the magic, IMHO (this is also the Porcupine Tree thing as well, as Wilson switches back and forth between the Bad Cats for the organic, softer sounds, and the POD/Variax for the heavier stuff) as the Fractal has more of an "realistic" sound and feel to it.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Manson's tone on "mOBSCENE" is pretty fucking awesome IMO. Really "metallic" sort of grind which is nice as.

And of course old faithful...

The opening for Ministry's "No Glory" is fucking insane too. I have a thing for high end ;)

ALL of Poweman 5000's stuff has insane guitar/bass mixing too, so while it's probably not my favorite "tone" it's up there as my favorite mixes

Ill Nino have pretty slick tone as well, god damn saturated which is awesome

They may be pretty lae now, but Linkin Park had some pretty fucking awesome tone going...

Stonesour had a couple of pretty amazing tone moments for me too.

Kidneythieves too...

That's all I can think of... Did I mention I like nu-metal tone a whole lot? :lol:

EDIT: Thought of more...

Breaking Benjamin's tone on Phobia (specifically "Evil Angel")

Disturbed on "Stupify"

Mushroomhead on most of XIII, but specifically on Becoming Cold

:ugh: That will do...

')