Best Distorted Tone You've Ever Heard???

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hunter75

Reaction score
His metal zone is actually modified, I can't remember the name of the guy but their equipment on KILL is posted on there, The Wretched Spawn was just Mesa Boogie and nothing else although jack used alot more stuff, on part of the extra wretched spawn dvd you get to hear pat using the mesa alone with no producing and it sounded fucking insane most probably THE best death metal tone ever...and as for my favourite tones it has to be the lead tone off Whitesnake Crying in the Rain with John Sykesand for rhythm it just has to be anything done by Pat or Dino :hbang:

No, not at all. Metal Zones sound like shit normally. I'm saying Pat O'Brien goes guitar-->Metal Zone-->Triple Rectifier. He uses the Metal Zone as a 'clean boost' to give the Triple Rec more tightness, he's not using the distortion of the Metal Zone at all. 90% of pro metal bands do something similar, but just not with a Metal Zone as there are better sounding pedals to use as boosts out there.

All I was saying is the tone you're hearing in that clip is 100% from Neil Kernon's monitors, after the amp has been mic'd, processed, mixed, eq'd, etc. However, I've seen them live with the Triple Recs and they sound even better than that. When you're standing far away from a cranked Triple Rec, man they sound fucking amazing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Jon Schaffer's live tone with his Larry's. Fuck it sounded awesome and so huge.

Andy Timmons on Groove Or Die

Queensryche when they play live.

deguello666

Reaction score
I don't think anyone has mentioned Satch (or is that too obvious?)
Billy Gibbons, Martin Barre (crest of a knave album)...

Sad but true has a CRUSHING sound!!!

But i'll always have a place for Dimebag, even his crappiest tone live is up there

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
His metal zone is actually modified, I can't remember the name of the guy but their equipment on KILL is posted on there, The Wretched Spawn was just Mesa Boogie and nothing else although jack used alot more stuff, on part of the extra wretched spawn dvd you get to hear pat using the mesa alone with no producing and it sounded fucking insane most probably THE best death metal tone ever...and as for my favourite tones it has to be the lead tone off Whitesnake Crying in the Rain with John Sykesand for rhythm it just has to be anything done by Pat or Dino :hbang:

Keeley mods MT2's, maybe that was it.

Kill me for bringing on the soft shit, but the Distortion tones of Closing Time by Semisonic are pretty tasty. Rat through Marshal, I believe.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
When I first heard this album, I thought that was the heaviest guitar sound ever. I love it to this day. It's Handsome, the members of Quicksand and Helmet. :metal:

handsome-handsome.jpg

Kakaka

I am with Jesus!
Reaction score
This is a close example: Petey Graves has thrown a new vid on youtube.com, and there you can hear Nolly with his new Black Machine through Framus Cobra plus two other guitars through ENGL's Invader and Powerball.
I can't really tell where the ultra-tight-mamoth-heavy sound comes from, but I dug the background song tone a lot.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
My favorites are probably Sodom's M-16 album (was done with Engls -- Bernemann rules!) and Eric Peterson's on The Gathering/First Strike Still Deadly.

kristallin

punk'd
Reaction score
After going on a bender today and listening to Ommadawn on repeat all morning I have to add Mike Oldfield's lead tone, I've always had a soft spot for it.

JerkyChid

Beef jerky kid
Reaction score
Hevy Devy, Richard Z Kruspe, Jesper Stromblad, Mark Morton, Jon Schaffer, Jaymz Pappa Het (James Hetfield), and Reverand Billy F. Gibbons.

Fionn

Reaction score
Wow what a post 16 pages strong! Just a few albums (bands) i can think of that haven't been mentioned. I do feel that Slayers Divine Intervention and God Hates Us All are supreme tones, can't believe I said that about a Marshall! JP rocks of course ToT is sick. Oh Lamb of God, love that tone! Biomechanical tone on Empires is sick too! Well Brutal! Ah Hatebreed tone on Perseverance! Arch Enemy=sick! Sikths Death of a Dead Day! Ziltoids tone is sweet too!

Lead well, Guthrie Govan is defo top! Gilbert up there too, May = smooth! Vai's Blue Powder! Even thou its a Zoom (I think), Satch Boogie is sick! Romeros Paradise Lost tone! I actually really like the Messhuggah lead tone too! Check out an album by bassist Brian Bromberg called Metal, its one crazy Piccolo Bass (shredded!) tone!

Ahh the list is end less, but one more before I go, the tones on the Roadrunner 25th Anniversary album are well brutal! All of em!!!

Holy shit forgot Gilberts tone, guess thats mainly in the fingers but still clean as fook!

Last edited:

PeteyG

Big Bear
Reaction score
This is a close example: Petey Graves has thrown a new vid on youtube.com, and there you can hear Nolly with his new Black Machine through Framus Cobra plus two other guitars through ENGL's Invader and Powerball.
I can't really tell where the ultra-tight-mamoth-heavy sound comes from, but I dug the background song tone a lot.

Haha, that's just my recording tone, which is sounds completely created by Garageband, the sound from the practice (which was way loud) was just indecipherable, and so I had to over dub the song itself. But thanks, hehe, it really means alot that you like it.

There'll soon be recordings with all of us playing out specific parts through our specific setups once we've got some more full songs on the go too (and maybe with vocals and all :cheers:)

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I don't think i've ever heard a massive ROAR anything like John Sykes' tones on the Whitesnake (1987) album. Those guitar sounds still get me off.

FYP666

Kick The Gates Open
Reaction score
Well, this must one of the sweetest sounds produced ever: :yesway:

Okokok now seriously:lol:

All That Remains' guitarists Oli and Mike has sweet tones on This Darkened Heart and The Fall Of Ideals. The guitars just sound... What ever metals should sound! Anyway, All That Remains - Not Alone: :metal:

Also Meshuggah's new ObZen albums guitars sound great, especially Bleed: :bowdown:

And Paul Gilbert never sounds bad! :yesway:

Latest posts

')