Best DRM free music download store?

• Thread starter Zepp88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
In relation to my latest blog post, I'm on the hunt for the best stores to download music from, preferably full albums.

So, what's the best DRM free music store out there? Is iTunes fully DRM free yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
Well, I assume you mean a store like iTunes which will provide major-label artists, right?

If not, and you want music in whatever the crap format you want, you could go to Magnatune: license music and MP3 download.

However, this is its own label, and offers only the artists signed to it. But it offers a pretty good variety (just this side of batshit insane), you can set the price of the downloads (minimum of $5, but can offer more), can choose the format, and it's DRM free.

Oh, and you can listen to entire tracks of every album, from every artist, without paying, signing up, or registering.

Try it before you buy it in pretty neat practice.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to find a store like iTunes, not a store locked to one label. And, IIRC iTunes downloads come with album artwork and such right?

I'm just afraid to buy anything from iTunes, I don't want to get screwed with DRM.

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
Yeah, you can download the album art, I think.

I'm no expert; I prefer the physical CD myself, though I usually rip them onto my computer, listen to them there or on my MP3 player, and stack the CD's in a corner :lol:

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm running out of room honestly, and I'm finding it pointless to have a bunch of CDs sitting on a shelf untouched.

It would be cool if bands would do a NIN style package with the artwork in high res.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Have you looked at Amazon? I believe their store downloads pure MP3.

friday11

Reaction score
I prefer to pay for music, too. In my opinion it's better cause you've something in your hands, if you'll buy a CD. Sometimes this is just like an synthesis of the arts...well I need the booklet and all this shit to get close to the music...

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer to pay for music, too. In my opinion it's better cause you've something in your hands, if you'll buy a CD. Sometimes this is just like an synthesis of the arts...well I need the booklet and all this shit to get close to the music...

I agree, but, having said that, i simply dont have the money to buy all 900 albums i have sitting in my itunes right now......

')