Best drop c guitar? Mayones duvelle 6 elite vs Solar vs Aristides 060?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Passtheapathy

Reaction score
I guess the question is more “what’s the ‘best’ metal guitar?” Mayones and Aristides are two of the best money can buy in that sector. At their price point, it’s more about personal preference than real quality differences.

I would go Aristides, but that’s my opinion.

Solar guitars are fine, but honestly shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence as the other two brands.

mogar

Reaction score
In reality, you can play drop-c on literally any production guitar out there right now. So my advice is to just go try out a bunch of stuff and get what speaks to you.

Reaction score
lol yes. The entire premise of this thread is completely preposterous.

I can't fault the OP if they simply didn't know that you can play drop C on just about anything. But if it's the OP's prerogative to buy a high end guitar because he likes or prefers those brands then so be it. One way or another, we just don't know which of those two it is. The premise is not entirely absurd either. As I mentioned, a longer scale guitar will allow for lower tunings with lighter gauge strings.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I can't fault the OP if they simply didn't know that you can play drop C on just about anything.

I can, because I use this site a lot and I know that that user makes a lot of threads asking questions and has already made more than one thread asking about string gauges and has had the same thing explained to him over again several times.

a longer scale guitar will allow for lower tunings with lighter gauge strings.
IMO this is not "better". It's a preference at most, and it also depends what kind of tone you're after. In my experience, long scales and thin strings are going to work against you if you're after any kind of doom, sludge, stoner type sound.

Reaction score
I can, because I use this site a lot and I know that that user makes a lot of threads asking questions and has already made more than one thread asking about string gauges and has had the same thing explained to him over again several times.

Can't comment on this as I don't have much interaction with this user.

IMO this is not "better". It's a preference at most, and it also depends what kind of tone you're after. In my experience, long scales and thin strings are going to work against you if you're after any kind of doom, sludge, stoner type sound.

I agree. It is neither better nor worse, just different and completely up to personal preference. If he's in to doom/sludge/stoner metal, then yeah, lighter gauges are definitely not something to go with since you won't get that "chunk" type of sound.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
My Aristides is pretty happy in Drop C. 25.5 scale length works well. But so would any guitar with a decent setup IMO.

Maybe you can consider the Caparison Adam D "Metal Machine", which IMO is the ultimate Drop C riffing and shred machine

10-52 is a great hybrid string set for that tuning also

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
You mention two top notch instruments, and as such, regardless of what tuning you want to use there, either is a great choice. Personally I prefer Aristides, other people will like the Mayos better, you can't go wrong with either.

Tunings like those are absolutely a non-factor in guitar choice. You can get whatever and make it work, as baritone scales and the like are definitely NOT needed at all.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I would make the argument for a longer or multi scale if you want to keep lighter gauge strings for tremolo picking/chugging but beyond that no specific guitar is absolutely necessary for drop C

Wildebeest

Reaction score
You can only play drop C on short-scale baritone guitars, so be careful.

Solar vs Aristides. Which one are you actually in the market for? These price points are radically different. Whats the point of even comparing them? There aren't any magic drop C guitars. Play enough and you'll figure that out on your own.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I feel like Veji is being genuine, but man the kind of questions he asks have always been like Wood A vs Wood B which is better and other subject matter that is entirely, subjective.