best heads to pair up with Mesa oversized 4x12?

• Thread starter Hayd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hayd

Reaction score
i had the randall thrasher and evh stealth and i wasnt too fond with the sound of my oversized cab with those heads. what heads match well with that cab? my randall T2 sounds pretty good with this cab. what other heads match well?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
5150, recto, uberschall, JCM800, stiletto, mark series, etc.

Really, find an amp you like and demo it with your cab to see if it's a good pairing. What someone else may hate about a triple rec with that cab may be what you like about it.

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
What he said ^

Mark series. The big low end fills out the mid range heavy nature of the Mark series. :metal: Same with the stilleto series. Those through an OS cab were redonk.

Hayd

Reaction score
what about the 5150? i had that amp at one time, loved the tone but was never fully satisfied using an orange cab with it

Genome

Reaction score
A boosted 5150 through an oversized Mesa cab is a classic metal tone. Although, if you didn't like the EVH Stealth through it, then you probably won't be fond of a real 5150 either?

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
Already mentioned, but the Dual Recto sounds pretty mighty through it. I used to have a late 90's "Traditional" Mesa Cab as well as a mid-2000's "Recto OS" and I have to say, side-by-side they're pretty similar sounding. The OS has a touch more low end, but not as much of a difference as you might think. Together with my Dual Recto they were godly.

I know it's not the same as using the real amps, bu I'm using the OS with my Axe FX 2 rig and it sounds killer. I go for a high gain sound with lots of articulation and note clarity (playing tech-y death metal) and the OS does a great job. My main sound is built around the Recto model, but I've had good results with several other models as well.

My drummer has an Orange 4x12 and I have to say that it sounds good, but I'm not 100% in love with it. Has a bit of a fuzzier/wooly sound than my Mesa when I use the same exact patches. Part of the issue may be that the the Orange is 16ohm and I'm not getting as much volume out of my Matrix, so I have to push the preamp harder...

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
The OS Recto cab was just what my Peavey Ultra needed. My Randall RM100 and B52 at100 also crush with it. So far I think it's just overly "Presenced" amps (I won't say bright cause JCM800) like the EVH 5153 line don't quite jive. But throw a couple Greenbacks or other speakers up top and it would be a whole different story.

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
I actually like all of my amps through 4x12 Recto Cabs!!(granted, they’re 21
years old and different wattage ratings than newer ones. 280w and 360w)
The Recto cabs give the non-Boogie amps a nice low end thump they don’t have through standard sized 4x12 cabs.
Amps;
Mesa Triple Rectifier
Rivera m100
Ampeg/Lee Jackson VL1002
Peavey 5150(script)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Aren't you going about this kind of backwards? Find a head you like the response and feel of, and then find a cab that brings out what you like about that head.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
When I had a chance to connect my Mesa Mark v25 into the OS cab I was blown away. I mean the tone it was pumping was godly. Ok maybe I am over exaggerating but the tone was seriously amazing.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
When I had a chance to connect my Mesa Mark v25 into the OS cab I was blown away. I mean the tone it was pumping was godly. Ok maybe I am over exaggerating but the tone was seriously amazing.

The good news is this is what happens when most amps (combos or heads) are plugged into 412's and turned up :yesway:.

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
A boosted 5150 through an oversized Mesa cab is a classic metal tone.

After getting an old 5150 last year, and playing it through one of my Recto cabs,
I totally understand why it’s such a revered amp among the metal tone chasers.
I use a Rockett/Holdsworth OD for the boost;
ferocious.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
The good news is this is what happens when most amps (combos or heads) are plugged into 412's and turned up :yesway:.

For some reason I thought the OP was asking for lunchbox sized amp recommendations. So yeah, you are correct lol

DarthV

Reaction score
The OS Recto cab was just what my Peavey Ultra needed. My Randall RM100 and B52 at100 also crush with it. So far I think it's just overly "Presenced" amps (I won't say bright cause JCM800) like the EVH 5153 line don't quite jive. But throw a couple Greenbacks or other speakers up top and it would be a whole different story.

Don't have the OS cab, but loved my old 6505 through the recto 4x12. My 5150III sounds better with the matching cab than it does through my mesa 2x12.

WestOfSeven

Reaction score
5150 with a Mesa os4x12 kills everything. I'd put a well set up and tweaked 5150/Mesa set up against anything.

Other than that a dual channel triple rectifier. My stealth never sounded right with the Mesa os sounded better with the standard cab.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
JP2C!!!

I hate stepping on toes but I have to add my .02 about this cab with an Uberschall. It sounds horrible to me and I strongly disagree with the comment saying this cab works with that amp. (Maybe another Revision like Blue or something? IDK). When people say that this cab is "boomy" it is probably because they had a Uber going through it.

At the practice spot there is a Bogner Rev 2, Peavey 6505+ a couple cheap SS heads and a JP2C. I have Mills 4x12, 2x12, Earcandy 2x12, Avatar, B52 and Mesa cabs and I have probably tried almost every combination possible with those.

The OS Mesa sounded very bad with most of these amps and especially with Uber, I cannot stress that enough. Th BOOM is real, I could have my Bass literally on zero and it was still boomy. I honestly used to laugh at that cab because it sounded so bad but recently I have been using it with the JP2C and it sounds so good. I have a new respect for the cab now.

Some of the most amazing tones I am getting with that combo so that is my vote.

JP2C + Buxom Boost and OS Mesa 412.

Hayd

Reaction score
JP2C!!!

I hate stepping on toes but I have to add my .02 about this cab with an Uberschall. It sounds horrible to me and I strongly disagree with the comment saying this cab works with that amp. (Maybe another Revision like Blue or something? IDK). When people say that this cab is "boomy" it is probably because they had a Uber going through it.

At the practice spot there is a Bogner Rev 2, Peavey 6505+ a couple cheap SS heads and a JP2C. I have Mills 4x12, 2x12, Earcandy 2x12, Avatar, B52 and Mesa cabs and I have probably tried almost every combination possible with those.

The OS Mesa sounded very bad with most of these amps and especially with Uber, I cannot stress that enough. Th BOOM is real, I could have my Bass literally on zero and it was still boomy. I honestly used to laugh at that cab because it sounded so bad but recently I have been using it with the JP2C and it sounds so good. I have a new respect for the cab now.

Some of the most amazing tones I am getting with that combo so that is my vote.

JP2C + Buxom Boost and OS Mesa 412.

can the JP2C do death metal?

')