Best instructional dvds

• Thread starter Wiz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
(Yes this thread might have been done 1000 times but I swear I looked it up and couldn't find it)

What are in your opinion the best made and most beneficial instructional guitar DVDs out there, for the beginner/average/expert players?

My personal favorites are the Rock discipline for pretty much all three of the categories, the Michael Romeo dvd for experts and again the Michael Angelo Batio star licks for experts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
My favourites so far are Scott Henderson's DVDs. They really cover a wide range of topics, with great improvising tips (phrasing and notes/scales/intervals).

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
'Rock Discipline' and Paul Gilbert's 'Intense Rock 1 and 2' DVDs are excellent for players of all levels, and are ones you're likely to keep revisiting later. Brett Garsed's 'Rock Guitar Improvisation' is also superb from that point of view. Michael Angelo's 'Star Licks' vid, and Rusty Cooley's CFH DVDs are great, but are far more accessible if you've studied the first two titles (especially 'Intense Rock').

For intermediate players (i.e. those with a decent grasp of scale andchord theory) who're interested in jazz, Jimmy Bruno's 'No-nonsense Jazz Guitar' DVD is pretty much essential, as he makes a lot of things that are often presented in an over-complicated way extremely accessible.

For phrasing and improvising, Santiago Dobles' 'Shut Up and Play' DVD is excellent, although you do need to know your scales inside-out to get the most out of it. Larry Carlton's 'Star Licks' DVD also has some great advice about phrasing.

In terms of 'licks' DVDs, I really like Mike Campese's 'Virtuoso Rock Fusion Concepts', Vinnie Vincent's 'Metal Tech' (although I think that one's out of print) and Shawn Lane's REH videos.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
it really depends what level you're at, and what you want to learn.
as far as 'expert' stuff goes, I think thats a relative term. I dont think it gets too much harder and faster than Cooley's Shred Guitar Manifesto.
However, as far as being an 'expert' its also important to study nuances of playing. And for that I think Eric Johnson's Fine Art Of Guitar is really good.
That video goes over everything besides speed that an 'expert' should know.

Of course Paul Gilbert for all categories as well. I find that Michael Angelo's speed kills is a little useless in building technique, and im not really fond of his note choice when he does it.

Another well balanced vid for 'beginner/intermediate' stuff is Petrucci's Rock Discipline.

I want to check out some Shawn Lane stuff myself- anyone seen those?

Luan

Reaction score
rock discipline is the only one that worked for me.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Marty Friedman's Melodic Control vid. He really breaks down his phrasing & explains how he thinks as he plays.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
Rock Discipline and Rusty's stuff are hands down the best I've seen. I'll have to check out Friedman's though.

PS: I hated Eric's Fine Art of Guitar. The guy spent over ten minutes talking about tuning. WTH?

progmetaldan

Reaction score
Rock Discipline by Petrucci is a fantastic one, as are the Intense Rock dvds by Paul Gilbert. I also really like the Brett Garsed one which someone has also already mentioned...

I'm really hanging out for the Ron Jarzombek instructional dvd which he's working on, that should be really interesting, though I suspect only suitable for the more advanced players...

Blackrg

Reaction score
'Rock Discipline' + 100

Lots of stuff to keep using again and again to improve your chops

progmetaldan

Reaction score
'Rock Discipline' + 100

Lots of stuff to keep using again and again to improve your chops

Yeah I think thats why its been so popular, the exercises are actually doable, and useful as opposed to some instructional dvd's which are basically the person showing off their chops... :rolleyes:

But JP's always come across as a really friendly, chilled out guy, and that also comes through on the dvd. :yesway:

TotallyBr00tal

Reaction score
some of the shawn lane stuff is cool. I am really big into Steve Morse recently I think he is the ultimate as far as technical stuff goes some of the things he does is insane, he has the best picking technique. The paul gilbert stuff is great as well. The rock discipline is a good one but JP gets a lot of his ideas from Steve Morse. Steve Morse Rules!

garcia3441

Tone Whore
Contributor
Reaction score
Hands of Steel by John McCarthy

Workout program to develop hand strength and coordination.

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
I like Holdsworth vid, this really changed my way of looking at scales, modes and chords :)

stubhead

Feral Buddha
Reaction score
JP gets a lot of his ideas from Steve Morse.

I noticed this too - when I watched Rock Discipline I kept thinking "I've seen this before..." Still, Petrucci sort of steals the best ideas from four or five other videos and puts them together in the same place.

')