Best job/way of earning money to have while in a touring band?

• Thread starter Cynic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
i'm having trouble finding one that is pretty flexible, but i need the cash so it can go towards the band. we have a short weekend tour in about a month, and a twenty day tour in january. what can i do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know of a few long standing touring act who have members that are house painters. Skilled labor is always good, as it's typically always in demand.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
cab driver. from what I've been told by local yellow cab operators, it doesn't take much more than a clean driving record and the will to pickup fares. you can set your own schedule and then clock out when you're done. just drive enough to earn the cab lease plus whatever your cut is for the day, and that's that. fuel's on you, which you write off come tax time and maintenance is on the cab company.

some guys drive year round, while others I've spoken to do it semi-annually for a little extra cash. in a nutshell, you call the shots. honestly I've thought about it so much that I should try it for the experience.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
how about a contortionist? :lol:

:idea:

images

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
guitar lessons would be the best, find a music store nearby where you can set up and kids can easily drop by.

Dr Muerte21

Death From Above
Reaction score
best buy, they have a thing for when you are in a band they will give you time off to play. Not sure they still have it though.

Eclipse

Reaction score
I would think it would be hard to keep students while being in a full-time touring band. :/

Pedantic

(Djent pun)
Reaction score
I don't know from experience, but I think if you could learn programing you could just freelance and work on tour on the way to shows.

MontaraMike

F Sharp
Reaction score
I don't know how successful these guys are but there are a lot of people giving guitar lessons over Skype. You would only need a net connection and a webcam

JDinSC

Reaction score
Some music stores, even big boxes, provide performance/tour graces. For example, I have 6 weeks of leave a year that I get to keep my insurance and my position is protected while I go on tour. While that may not sound like alot, for a management position in retail, it's a ton. At lower level positions, the grace is alot more.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hate to be cynical here (heh, couldn't resist), but a solid/stable income and the flexibility to take time off whenever you want rarely go hand in hand.

What's your background? Prior work experience? college education? Interests? I think finding a job that fits you and THEN worrying about flexibility is a better approach than finding a job that's flexible and then figuring out if you'd be any good at it.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
I had a friend that worked at target and he would go on short tours ranging for a week to three weeks long sporadically and they would always give him time off

')