BEST MODERN SHRED ALBUMS AND GUITARRIST

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Austrian guitarist Milan Polak released a really cool instrumental album a few years ago called Guitar Odyssey, which has everything from metal, to fusion to ballad-y kinda stuff, one of my fave instrumental guitar albums:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stuff that's all been mentioned already, but I've personally enjoyed Marc Rizzo's Colossal Myopia, John5's Songs For Sanity and Mattias Eklundh's Freak Guitar: The Road Less Travelled, if you could call that shred.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mikes a cool guy. I teach with him on Wed. The whole "Hess" thing is Toms thing and it hasnt gone anywhere as of late to the best of my knowledge. But Mike also has a female fronted band called Sage. And another band where he plays a double neck Dean (1 6er and 1 7) he hammers on the riffs on one neck and taps the melody on the other neck while singing the vocals thur a talk box. Its pretty cool to watch.
They usually do radio rock covers. Ive seen them a few times, always a good show.

I've seen vids of him doing that.:) He's a really underrated player...kinda like Holdsworth mixed with Friedman with a little neo-classical thrown in.:) Great tone too.

I think Hess is focusing on his instructional stuff at the moment...

EDIT: Here's a vid for those who haven't seen it!:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAIA4wzmgJs

Origins

Not banned
Reaction score
Ooops, sorry I don´t know what happened, it didn´t make a new thread :scratch:

vgguru39

Reaction score
In terms of pure technique check out marshall harrison and anthony xander.

he has some really sick lesson videos and classical covers under the youtube username Rozarsmacco.

Is it just me or has no one mentioned Bumblefoot. THAT DUDES A FREAK. Everything he makes is amazing. I would recommend immeadiatly getting all his albums.

christophe godin

Chimp spanner is sorta similar to Bulb but still has it's own unique vibe. He has a soundclick page where you can get his stuff.

Jeff kollman is good

dave kilminster is worth checkin out.

Anyone who hasn't heard Fredrik thordendal's special defects album needs to do that like RIGHT NOW. That's some very interesting stuff right there.

Johnny Highland and scotty anderson are good if you like lead country/rockabilly type stuff. I don't listen to it much, but the guys are way talented.

Magnus olsson(fusion), oz noy(fusion i guess), Chris arp from the band psyopus (check out the song insects), Dan and pin from sikth, the dudes from spawn of posession... I could ramble on and on about good guitarists.

It's not all instrumental stuff but i think it's all worth checking out from a technical standpoint, and some of these dudes make absolutely awesome music.

vgguru39

Reaction score
no prob. I wish guys like this got more exposure from like mainstream guitar magazines and stuff. I just try and get the names out there. What did you guys think of Marshall Harrison, bumblefoot and the other guys I posted about?

')