BEST MODERN SHRED ALBUMS AND GUITARRIST

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
That Antony Xander dude has quite some speed in his licks. Not heard him before but aside from velocity its not really anything outstanding imo. Rick Graham is a beast with some great feeling/musicallity and Marshall ofc doesn't need an intro - mad chops and a really cool tone (he's also on the forum as well so he might sign in).

The one thing I will say is that apart from the absolute monsters that have been referrenced in the thread so far there are a lot of guitarists with some technique, some knowledge, but it seems to me that there's a distinct lack of identity from 90% of them. Whatever happened to the ability to come up with unique sequences, or bend a note so that it doesn't sound like your atypical whole tone bend whilst playing it safe within a scale?

Or come up with interesting rhythms and chord progressions for that matter!

Perhaps I'm just jaded with a lot of "shred" music but in many cases if you look beyond the initial "wow" factor there's not a lot of actual music happening - just a lot of notes.

Yes, you may now flame me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Andy McKee is floopin' excellent - definately worth checking if you have even a passing interest in acoustic playing :)

vgguru39

Reaction score
derryl gabel is also worth a mention.

scott mishoe has his moments

zeb from aeon is talented i suppose

Tj helmeric is amazing. he plays with brett garsed.

I think george bellas sucks but someone might enjoy him. I hate his tone.

Necrophagist shreds (but i'm sure everyone here already knew that)

Richie kotzen is good.

Not really shred... and not really new but there are always the fusion guys like Al di meola, Frank Gambale, and allan holdsworth. Holdsworth and Gambale released an album a while back called truth in shredding that is absolutely fantastic.

lauriemonk

Reaction score
Wow some new names to me.. thanks for posting the videos.

I try and keep up to date Truth In Shredding

The better players tend to have higher number of posts... there are loads of great players and it's getting difficult to be different.

This guy is new to me, Alex Hutchings:

')