Best noise gate?

• Thread starter kamisama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    noise gate
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kamisama

Frenzied Downpicker
Reaction score
Trying to decide what to get between the Zuul Plus (apparently it fixes the splitter issue? someone correct me on this) or the II G String. If you have other recs go ahead, but I'd prefer a high quality one that lasts forever

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using a G-String II for like 15 years and works like a charm. Gate before and after the amp. One knob. Just works.

There more modern circuits right now that are supposedly better, but I believe none of them does the dual gate thing. The Deadweald Audio Golem looks great (it even has an isolation transformer inside), but there is a waitlist.

Werecow

Reaction score
I used to use a Decimator (still got it), but upgraded to a Zuul. It locks down quicker when i want it to after palm mutes and any other muting, but still keeps just as long decay for fading notes as the Decimator. I've not even used it in the loop with a key input yet, i just have it in front of the amp.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I also use the G-String II and it does the job perfectly, can't think of any ways to improve it. Since it does pre and post noise gating and analyzes the signal to determine how it affects the signal I get pure clean quiet both when on clean channels and distortion channels and I don't have to turn it off when I switch to a clean channel as a result. With the Decimator I had prior I had to stomp it off when going to a clean channel. It also won't cutoff reverb/delay trails. I believe the Zuul does the same, so you're likely to be golden with either.

DeathByButterslax

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
best gate I’ve used so far is the GUPtech Guul+,
I’ve had
ISP Dec 1, 2 and a g-String
Fortin Zuul
GUPtech Guul OG
High wind phalanx (2nd favourite)

The Guul+ does dual gating, and you can control the input gate a little better with the 2nd control. It’s also a little faster than the Phalanx.

Expensive and ugly hell though

4Eyes

Reaction score
depends on the use - is you want it to get rid of unwanted hiss/noise, then I think most modern takes on gate will do the job, I would favour Decimators, just because I've been using old G-String for ziliion years without issues, friend of mine has old Decimator and works for him just fine in most scenarios.

If you want it for that classic gating effect to get t-t-t-tight ch-ch-ch-chugs, then you either want single gate in front of the amp for the effect, but then you may experiences some hi gain hiss, in which case you maybe want to solve it by dual gate setup (in front of the amp for the effect and in fx loop for complete silence ) or you want something which can track your guitar in front of the amp and gate signal after distortion - G-String comes to my mind again

TTMjeremy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I also use the G-String II and it does the job perfectly, can't think of any ways to improve it. Since it does pre and post noise gating and analyzes the signal to determine how it affects the signal I get pure clean quiet both when on clean channels and distortion channels and I don't have to turn it off when I switch to a clean channel as a result. With the Decimator I had prior I had to stomp it off when going to a clean channel. It also won't cutoff reverb/delay trails. I believe the Zuul does the same, so you're likely to be golden with either.
Good info. I use 2 gates. An MXR in the loop and Decimator in front. Decimator is the only one Ive found to tame the feedback from my dual rec. But it really hurts the sustain on cleans. Kills all feedback though. May have to give the G a try.

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
TC Electronic Sentry is the best one IMO. It replaced the Zuul on my board a few years ago. I would like to try that new one from KMA though

Hybrid_Child

Reaction score
Plenty of good ones out there it seems. Maybe just pick one that has the features you need.

I like the Zuul since it has the Key (trigger) input so I can have it in the loop but trigger it from the raw guitar signal (split out from my tuner).

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I have several Decimator II pedals, a Deci-mate X, a Decimator II G-string, a Horizon Devices Precision Drive with its gate, and my TC Electronic G-major has a pretty good gate section. I had a Rocktron Hush Super C at one point, but sold it while searching for something better.

The absolute best gating I have had has been with two Decimator II pedals that are linked, one right after the buffer, one right after the amp. That link lets the second gate act on the higher dynamic guitar signal (like the G-string or the Zuul), but both gates clamp at the same time.

Second to that is using a Decimator G-string, but using the guitar input for triggering only; it acts just like the key input on the Zuul. Since I have a dual output buffer on that board, there is less cabling and less for the actual main signal to travel. The Decimator input is between the amp's effects loop output and the delay.

The third best I still use is a Decimator II at the front of the chain (right after the buffer, before any boosts) and the TC G-major gating any leftover gain noise after the preamp. Since that one is a MIDI setup, the G-major has different gate threshold levels for each amp sound.

If you want the best gating out of one pedal, my vote goes to the Decimator II G-string.

Werecow

Reaction score
This. I still can't understand how this thing gets overlooked all the time. And it's a BOSS, so of course it'll last forever.
Every time i've tried one it's changed my tone. The one person i know who still uses one, only does so because they've incorporated that change of tone into their overall tone. I don't like doing that.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Every time i've tried one it's changed my tone. The one person i know who still uses one, only does so because they've incorporated that change of tone into their overall tone. I don't like doing that.
I never had that either. I was running mine for 10+ years with a 5150 and a small number of effects; chorus/delay/wah.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
For the Zuul owners, is there a point to getting it over something else if I don't plan on using a splitter? I'm trying to make a compact nano pedalboard with an HX stomp and a few mini utility pedals.

Last edited:

teamSKDM

Reaction score
I dont own a sentry but if I ever needed a gate I would get one for the fact it doesnt just gate noise but can actually target problematic frequencies

')