Best passive pickups? (with links)

Enjoikav

Reaction score
So all I've got left to acquire is some pickups for my setup,
i play a schecter a-7 with a mahogany body (if it matters),
and i play a little bit of djent, kinda hardcore metal, whatever you want to call it really. Here's some links to my bands videos/music
YouTube - SeaOfWolvesBand's Channel
Sea of Wolves | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

i prefer passives, and i honestly don't have the money for bareknuckles, so what else is out there?

i also play a madison divinity II through a marshall 1960a so my amps not a problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
All honesty? Save up for bareknuckles. You won't regret it at all.
But If you really want pickups that isn't price hefty, go for DiMarzio d-activators.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in the bridge and a SH-2 in the neck

:agreed: That's a pretty good starting combo for that guitar.

After that, I'd recommend Wolfetone. Not as pricey as Bareknuckles, and Wolfe's a godlike winder.

Caveat - the only DiMarzio pickup I've ever liked was the Super II, so...

SW Davion

Reaction score
For what it's worth..
I put a Dimarzio X2N7 in my Mahogany bodied Ibanez 7 (K7).
Sounds Great. Every bit as loud as an active, but HUGE passive tones..

Nice and tight sounding with mammoth bottom end. I simply turned down the bass knob on the amp and the tone is incredible.

Enjoikav

Reaction score
hmm...
i between the SD SH-5 and the D-activator..
thanks for the opinions, i'm going to watch a whole bunch of videos about 'em! ha

mountainjam

Reaction score
You get what you pay for. Ide save for the bkp's.

orakle

djentleman
Reaction score
i really really suggest you to save some more and buy BKPs you wont regret it at all

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
I would also advise to save up for some BKP's. Aftermaths would kill in a mahogany body...

But if u really cant, I'd say go for Dimarzio D-Activators. They work great in Mahogany

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
There are great pickups from SD, Dimarzio and BKP, as long as you do your homework and try hard to find the pickups that directly suit your needs, you cannot go wrong with any of the above. Each kind of have their own character and sort of 'signature' in the sound, don't worry about BKP's, they are not the be all and end all, their 'signature' is being a bit more open and having slightly more clarity amongst the high gain. This may not even be what you are looking for.

mountainjam

Reaction score
^Ive gotta disagree sir, I've tried all of the popular brands, bkp is the end all be all. The clarity at high gain is a lot more than "slightly" over the rest.

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
:agreed: That's a pretty good starting combo for that guitar.

After that, I'd recommend Wolfetone. Not as pricey as Bareknuckles, and Wolfe's a godlike winder.

Caveat - the only DiMarzio pickup I've ever liked was the Super II, so...

Second the Wolfetones. My teacher at National Guitar Workshop a couple of years ago, Shawn Purcell (who is a killer jazz player), had a pair of Wolfetones in his Heritage semihollow, and they're seriously the best pickups I've ever heard.

I don't know if WCR does seven-string pickups, but they're really good, too.

There are a lot of small pickup companies in the US that aren't anywhere near as expensive as BKs are (probably due to tariffs or something), and they do some great work.

Enjoikav

Reaction score
man..
i'll try to save up for a BKP, i'm thinking a warpig personally?
if i get tired of waiting ill probably try out a dimarzio d-activator or something..

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
mahogany + JB = nice low end and overall good sound imo

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
All honesty? Save up for bareknuckles. You won't regret it at all.
But If you really want pickups that isn't price hefty, go for DiMarzio d-activators.

Seconded :agreed:

But I say you go with BKP Painkillers, if you want to Djent. That's what I plan on using, once I actually manage to get an Agile 828. But D-Activators are pretty damn good. I was blown away when I played them. So, if BKPs are out of the picture, go with the D-Activators. You will not be disappointed.

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
Honestly man, BKP. Save up and get yourself a set, you won't regret it. If you want something other than BKP (Which I don't see why you would... :p ) Check out some DiMarzios.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
What about Lundgren?
If it's good enough for Frederik Thordendal...
I would also look at the DiMarzio D-Sonic or Evolution. Both are tight, just depends on what you're looking for. Evo will be a bit crunchier and brighter, the D-Sonic will be a bit more versatile and have a better "chug," but it has a bit less clarity in the low end than the Evolutions. Neither will get muddy, even in mahogany.
I assure you, all of these can djent.

')