Best pedals for crazy sounds

• Thread starter rug
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
One of my main sources of synth sounds (other than individual pedals) is the Line 6 M series. I have both an M13 and an M9. Synth sounds, reverb/delay combos for ambient sounds (even all effect units being set to the same delay or reverb), built-in looper, either one is an amazing Swiss Army knife of sounds. (I'm partial to swell delay/ducking reverb, for that ambient "Space Station" sound.) Dig through the various M13/M9 and even the HD500/400/300 vids on YouTube for examples of the effects being used for non-obvious sounds.

I use a variety of multi-FX units for synth sounds, but I figured that the Boss GT-10 might be overkill for your purposes, the ME50B might be too big, and the Korg PX5D might be too small.

I like multi-FX units because they let me have the equivalent of my huge "modular synth" pedalboard in a smaller space. For inspiration, I suggest you watch/listen to the various Electro-Harmonix "Effectology" videos, and then figure out what pedals you can substitute for the specific EHX ones used in the video.

Good luck!

:agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
How has Dwarfcraft not come up yet?

Last edited:

nangillala

Reaction score
Maybe you need a Pitchfactor? Really cool pedal.
Another great tip would be the Roger Linn Adrenalinn (III). It's not that expensive used because it's overlooked by many people.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You can do a shitload with organic pedals like this as opposed to digital rigs. I have this combo here, and it's AWESOME.

rug

Reaction score
Dude, I have a serious hard on for the Strymon Time Line. If I hadn't already spent my yearly bonus on an Emperor 6x12 cab I would totally put in an order for one right now.

celticelk

Reaction score
Apart from my Boomerang, the Timeline is the only pedal that's ever seriously tempted me to drop that much cash on a single pedal. Possibly the best single delay unit ever. Fortunately for my wallet, I think an M5 probably has more bang-for-buck as an add-on to my current rig. Not to mention I then have a few hundred bucks to blow on the other gear I need to finish* my board: new volume pedal, another expression pedal, a Pedaltrain Pro, some T1M routing gear....

(*The parameters of "finish" are subject to change at operator discretion....)

rug

Reaction score
I already have an Eventide Time Factor, which I already consider to be the best delay pedal ever, so I have no reservations at all about spending that much on a delay pedal. :D

However, I bet I can get some super awesome sounds looping one pedal and playing the other, and dialing in two completely different delays at the same tempo on both pedals. So far with this thread, I've established that I need to get the Time Line, the POG 2, the Ring Thing, and the MI Pollyanna. That'll only cost $1300, plus I need to buy some BKP Warpigs for my baritone first...it would be really nice if I could just get TWO bonuses this year.

celticelk

Reaction score
Of the pedals that do both "standard" delay and looping, I think the TimeFactor has the deepest implementation of loop features. The movable start and end points, in particular, are genius - on-the-fly nondestructive editing! And since you can clone the onboard switches with an FS300, you can put the whole thing up at a manipulable height and still have easy foot control. If they ever build a looper-only pedal with multiple loops and/or more loop time, I'll be all over that.

Mordecai

Reaction score
i find using a digitech whammy and a MXR carbon copy together can give you some really spacy/dubsteppy tones at times. its a load of fun and i plan on trying to do some of that noise on the next "Gore Orphanage" album.

rug

Reaction score
Man...that WMB sounds really good too. Damn, this thread has caused my list of "need to have pedals" on my pedalboard to really expand. :D

')