Best phrasing...your votes!

• Thread starter distressed_romeo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leec

Woopah!
Contributor
Reaction score
Greg Howe, Brett Garsed and Joe Satriani. :bowdown:
Each have their own distinct voice when they play.

Yeah man. Garsed! When he improvises, he's just a phrase-machine!
And Holdsworth, he's another phrase-machine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right now, Mattias Eklundh takes the cake for me. Plenty of "what the fuck" moments but never for the sake of being inaccessible. Holdsworth is untouchable, and I think Jason Becker stands head and shoulders over most of the neo-classical crowd. I'm getting more and more into Santana these days as well, when he's on, he's really on.

Ibanez_Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
Great thread! I'm actually more into anyone that can really phrase well rather than just shred. Some of my favorite players & tracks:

Jeff Beck - 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers...I have a zillion live versions of this and they all have different & interesting stuff going on.

Carlos Santana - The live version of Samba Pa Ti owns.

Gary Moore - The live version of I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow, Empty Rooms, or anything on Corridors of Power. Plus he plays with a giant set of balls.

David Gilmour - I like obscure stuff like the solo on The Fletcher Memorial Home from The Final Cut. A great one that always gets overlooked.

Joe Satriani - The live version of Memories from Dreaming #11.

Pat Metheny - The first Pat Metheny Group album blew my mind as an impressionable snot-nosed metal geek. The song New Chatauqua had a major impact as well.

I'll stop now, but I'll probably remember a few more later.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
EDDIE VAN HALEN
Jon Maclauglin, Holdsworth
Brett Garsed
Nuno Bettencourt
Satch
Vai
Greg Howe
Robbin Ford
Yngwie

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
NOTE: ALL IS IMO!!!!one!!eleven!!
David Gilmour (most emotionally expressive)
Adam Jones (most original/wierd/spaced-out)
Fredrik Thordendal (Heaviest riffing/soloing ever!! Very good use of atonality)
Billy Howerdel (Really original leads, Mer De Noms would suck without him)
Syd Barret (Most spastic/ADD, in a good way)

Tymon

Reaction score
Isn't this turning into another "best guitarist" threads? Anyways, I vote for Scott Henderson hands down. Strange he isn't mentioned yet, not even bij Santi? ;)

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Isn't this turning into another "best guitarist" threads? Anyways, I vote for Scott Henderson hands down. Strange he isn't mentioned yet, not even bij Santi? ;)

Nah, it's just another excuse for us to compare notes on our favourite players. As it's not Harmony Central, we can have threads like this without it degenerating into a bitch-fest!:) People on this board generally have fucking good taste.:yesway:

Henderson rocks BTW...

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
I know he's been mentioned a million times, but I would have to go with Gilmour hands down.

and Kerry King :lol:

Reaction score
Shawn Lane, by far. The guy isn't human. His slow passages are so emotive and his fast are tasteful.

Also gotta say I love Petruccis phrasing. I adore his solo album - really shows off his talent for melody. Very unique in some of the ways he uses fast flurries of notes within songs, not just to fulfill an ego.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
he uses fast flurries of notes within songs, not just to fulfill an ego.

:rolleyes: Everybody's entitled to their opinion... but if he didn't have an "ego to fulfill" he probably wouldn't be changing his image so often, including pumping such mad iron lately... IMHO anyway...

Gilmour is probably close to #1, with tons of cred. to guys like Santana and Eric Johnson....

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
Holdsworth
Garsed
Lane
Gilmour
Page

they create solos (imho) that stick in your head.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
can think of many, but from the older generation, gilmour. check out his solo on dogs about 5:30 into the song. god. btw, animals is such an underrated masterpiece.

Paul Warren

Contributor
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Everybody's entitled to their opinion... but if he didn't have an "ego to fulfill" he probably wouldn't be changing his image so often, including pumping such mad iron lately... IMHO anyway...

I've worked with him for 6 years now - there's no ego. Zippo. I wouldn't normally jump into a discussion like this, but when somebody who is genuinely a decent guy is getting bagged on, it's just worth putting the facts out there.

As far as phrasing goes, my vote goes to Timmons. Pure soul and tastiness. :)

paul

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score

I FORGOT SCOTT!

FUCK

SCOTT HENDERSON IS TRULY ONE OF THE BEST AT PHRASING!

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I agree that Marty Friedman has great phrasing. He's always been one of my favs. I totally forgot to list him. :agreed:

MetalMike

IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD
Contributor
Reaction score
Did anyone mention Jason Becker? His slower playing seems to be overlooked constantly.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score

Gilmour is probably close to #1, with tons of cred. to guys like Santana and Eric Johnson....

The dimarzio add does look a little fruity but i don't think that has anything to do with Ego. At least its not as fruity as Vai's Ad.:lol: He looks like my step mom with an axe!

And.... levelhead86 there is nothing wrong with Pumping Iron. :hbang: More power to John P for staying healthy. Its easy to get a gutt when you are a touring musician. I saw him back in Berklee doing a clinic in 94 he was sporting a gutt. So I am happy he is getting fit that is a good thing. Means he will probably live longer. 3 things will do that (gutt reinforcement) to you....Marriage, Beer, and Junk food on the road.
I got married and started doing more shows I gained like 40 lbs...

DOH!

So hey More power to JP.

Santiago Dobles

')