Best practice for reamping with Scarlett 18i8

goregrinder

Reaction score
What are your experiences reamping with the 18i8? More specifically, how do you find the quality of sending your DI signal from one of the monitor outs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I haven't got one or used one, but the quality should be perfect - afterall, you use it to listen to your monitors :)
The only loss of quality will be from an additional digital>analogue and analogue>digital conversion. Probably inaudible to most people and without a super high end monitor system.

Here's best practice for any setup:
Guitar>Interface DI input. Set level appropriately, record a track. Keep level knob and fader where it is

Track>Interface line output>DI box>Interface DI input again, with exactly the same volume setting. Create another track.

The goal is to have the new track recording at exactly the same level as the original, insuring your reamp DI is the same hotness as what comes directly out of your guitar.
You then know how you need to adjust the DAW output level of the DI signal to result in the same original input. On my setup I have to turn my DI output down -6dB for the input to be the same level. If I reamped with everything equal, my reamps would have more gain.

goregrinder

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks. That's what most other forums I've read say to do. I just wasn't sure if taking the signal from an L or R out from the outputs reserved for monitor speakers and sending it to the reamp box was dodgy or bad good practice.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Ideally, you'll want to put a proper Reamp box (not quite the same as a DI) between your monitor output and your amp input. I don't remember the science-y bits, but a monitor/line signal is not the same as a real guitar signal, so the reamp box does whatever transformation is needed for the amp to see a signal that looks like it really comes from an instrument.

jerm

Reaction score
You can use the Line Outs our if you're reamping with a Kemper/AXE FX you can use the SPDIF input/out of each the Scarlett and the axefx/kemper which is extremely easy to setup.