Best practise for 7s

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
dont go over the top with Necrophagist n stuff, that's just being technical for the sake of it, it's not music.

Necrophagist made me go "wow that kicked ass" even before I could listen to a Death Metal song without laughing at the vocals.

Necrophagist = pwn.

jamesboyd

Lord Boyd
Reaction score
Necrophagist made me go "wow that kicked ass" even before I could listen to a Death Metal song without laughing at the vocals.

Necrophagist = pwn.

Totally, and the more you listen/learn some of the riffs you think "what the fuck, this is so good it's retarded"

Super musical is a term I'd apply to necrophagist...................... the future of death metal imo, can't wait for the new album :shred:

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh for fucks sake i knew i'd get loads of shit like this. I'm sick to death of people listening to music just because it's technical, is all i meant. It's an elitist stupid attitude and u'll never amount to any sort of musicianship. I'm not saying that's what you guys are doing, so dont take offence, i'm just saying. I see too many kids trying to shred as fast as possible because it's fashionable, but they've skipped the basics and have no phrasing or dynamic. They talk about all these super tech bands because it's the way to be at the moment. Ask these kids to play a simple blues passage and they'll be like "...... huh?".
and how the fuck can u say Unearth aren't technical? jesus christ man, the word "technical" doesn't mean the world's finest, does it! They play at an advanced level, not the MOST advanced, u have to admit. sure you and i may have the ability to play their songs, that doesnt fuckin mean they're not technical. It's good, no nonsense metal, they're not trying to be anything they're not, it's totally honest, unpretencious music that does exactly what it says on the tin. let's just leave it at that.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Oh for fucks sake i knew i'd get loads of shit like this. I'm sick to death of people listening to music just because it's technical, is all i meant. It's an elitist stupid attitude and u'll never amount to any sort of musicianship. I'm not saying that's what you guys are doing, so dont take offence, i'm just saying. I see too many kids trying to shred as fast as possible because it's fashionable, but they've skipped the basics and have no phrasing or dynamic. They talk about all these super tech bands because it's the way to be at the moment. Ask these kids to play a simple blues passage and they'll be like "...... huh?".
and how the fuck can u say Unearth aren't technical? jesus christ man, the word "technical" doesn't mean the world's finest, does it! They play at an advanced level, not the MOST advanced, u have to admit. sure you and i may have the ability to play their songs, that doesnt fuckin mean they're not technical. It's good, no nonsense metal, they're not trying to be anything they're not, it's totally honest, unpretencious music that does exactly what it says on the tin. let's just leave it at that.

:agreed: I essentially agree with what you're saying, but the original poster did ask for technical bands. Necrophagist, in my opinion, is a great band, but so is Unearth. However, Necrophagist isn't a sevenstring band (at least not yet).

"Technical" is very subjective. I'd recommend Scar Symmetry and Mercenary, which are both death metal bands that play on standard tuned sevens. But you'd probably get a lot of people who say, "Hey! They aren't technical!" Well, I think they are.

D

Desecrated

Oh for fucks sake i knew i'd get loads of shit like this. I'm sick to death of people listening to music just because it's technical, is all i meant. It's an elitist stupid attitude and u'll never amount to any sort of musicianship.
Yeah like Stravinsky and such musicians that tried are there life to make more advanced music, *irony*

I'm not saying that's what you guys are doing, so dont take offence, i'm just saying. I see too many kids trying to shred as fast as possible because it's fashionable, but they've skipped the basics and have no phrasing or dynamic. They talk about all these super tech bands because it's the way to be at the moment. Ask these kids to play a simple blues passage and they'll be like "...... huh?".

I can play both blues and meshuggah, I'm betting most kids can to, and if not they will learn as they grow older.

I've never listen to them.

D

Desecrated

"I can play both blues and meshuggah, I'm betting most kids can to, and if not they will learn as they grow older."

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh gee thanks for pointing that out.
You've missed my point entirely, is all. I dont want this to spiral into a rant but all I'm trying to say is that it's not very musical to just be as technical as can be. That's not what music is, it's about the quality in the music, you shouldn't care about the technical content of a song, and you shouldn't use technical ability to measure the quality of a song/band/genre. Stravinksy and the like were pushing the boundaries, being innovative yet creative, it was tune-full and masterfully written. He didn't sit there thinking "right.. this is utter nonsense and doesn't flow what so ever, but my god it's demanding on the fingers, therefore it MUST be good!". Technicallity has it's place in music, sure, we can't all live off the philosophy of 'less is more' and trying to remain simplistic. But if you approach the musical canvas with the idea that whatever you write has to be mindblowing at 250bpm then you've got the wrong idea

Again, this is just in MY experience. and i'm not referring to you.
Fuck off i'm eating cheese cake.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score

What if technicality is what they enjoy? Is that the whole point of playing music; to do something you enjoy? To have fun? Why should they say, "Oh, I need to play blues. I don't really have much interest in it, but that's what's 'musical' to other people, so I need to do it." I say play what you want to play and enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it down the road, play something else then.

Reaction score
You dont need anything new just because it has one extra string. Treat it like a guitar man, do what it is u do on a 6 string just be mindful of the extra one. If u want a suggestion as to what to jam along to i highly recommend Unearth. It's technical but it's soulful and groovy too. Good ol thrash, dont go over the top with Necrophagist n stuff, that's just being technical for the sake of it, it's not music.

Dude... That was a VERY immature post... Its almost "negatively reppable" but I wont because I have yet to neg rep someone. But dont say stuff like: "that's just being technical for the sake of it, it's not music." :squint: It shows that you DONT know what you are talking about.

jamesboyd

Lord Boyd
Reaction score
necrophagist is definately musical, and to get on the whole 'there's to much technique, not enough blues licks/emotion bandwagon is retarded.................................

have a listen to some classical man.........chopin, rach etc....................

the piano ideas/licks put *any* metal to shame as far as harmony and chops go.......................................... I quess they all should take a leaf from the 'unearth' metalcore book though? :nuts:

To the original poster.............start with what you like to play.........the tuning of a band doesn't make much of a diff imo (you can always transpose in powertab or record your own backing)...............find albums in E standard, and then some on a seven or in B standard if you really don't want to retune :yesway:

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
You're getting a lot of shit for what you said because you specifically mentioned Necrophagist as an example of technical, but unmusical, bands, which is in my opinion (and the opinion of just about everybody else here it seems), totally wrong. Nobody is disagreeing with you over the fact that making something as complex and fast as you can doesn't mean it's going to sound good, they're just saying that Necrophagist is awesome.

FoxZero

Zero Imperfections
Reaction score
Haha you want technical 7-string stuff, I'm suprised no one mentioned Bulb! Or did someone and I just missed it? I kinda skimmed through this...

Anyways here's some technical stuff I like, some of it already mentioned.

Nevermore, Fear Factory, Asesino, old Meshuggah (Chaosphere rules!), Divine Hearsay (yup I like Dino lol), Korn (just kidding!), Sanctuary, and all the other stuff mentioned.

A little off topic but I thought dream theater did use 7s since Myung uses a six string bass. His basses are so beautiful! I'd have to say my favorite instrument next to a 7-string guitar is a six-string bass. I love mine to death!

MAXEDON

Reaction score
they do i said dream theater for 7 and a couple people said necrophagist but they use 6 strings in d standard

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
If you're into death metal ,just get the amazing slow downer and play your music thru it.
all of my guitars are tuned to Standard 440, but I jam to Arch Enemy (drop it
1/2 a step), Nevermore (raise it 1/2 a step) etc, all on my 7 which is tuned to B
Someone else had mentionded Guitar Pro :hbang: you can transpose anything with that soft ware.
Tonight I transposed "The Psalm of Lydia" with it to see how I would play it on my 7 instead of Drop D on my 6. (it's actually a lot easier on the 6 :lol: )
Very cool software :agreed:

WillingWell

Reaction score
A bit off topic but pertaining to what the guy up there said.

I've been playing for probably three years and I can play faster (and not regular jackoff fast, I mean like sit down six hours a day with the metronome work your ass off fast) than most people who've been playing a lot longer than me, I get lighthearted challenges at the music store I work at every now and then to show off because on an unrelated note, I did dominate a recent multi-band show with some well placed shreddage. This paragraph sounded totally egotistical, but here's a followup:

I did it with the Vai philosophy in mind. Practice technical ability to use it to more fluently express yourself on guitar. Yes, I can do guitar wankery that sounds like widdly widdly widdly bloooooloooooloooo and I'm sure plenty of other people here can, but I don't because that's not music. That's just what I said, pure guitar wankery, mindless playing.

That being said, it's still cool to be able to play the shit out of a guitar. :fawk: :shred:

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I think thst the best practice is going to guitar teacher :yesway:

Latest posts

')