Best preamp or modeler for Prog, technical death metal, and jazz?

Obscurabeast2002

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If anyone can give me some suggestions to buy a preamp to practice/record with my headphones and laptop that has clean, and heavy tones. My influences are bands like Dark Fortress, Obscura, Spawn of Possession, and various technical death metal, black metal and jazz artists. I need a preamp, modeler, or maybe combo amp that can do both(play through speaker or headset).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Price range?

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Peavey Vypyr, Mooer, Hotone, Fly Rig, POD?

Spinedriver

Reaction score
If you're just looking for amp sims and not a ton of effects, the Mooer Preamp Live isn't a bad way to go. I will say though that you do have to have either a pc/mac or smartphone/tablet in order to edit patches. There's no screen or controls on the unit itself that'll let you change the amp you're using, although there are knobs that will let you edit the parameters just like a normal amp.

If you're looking for reverb, delay, etc... then either a GE200 or perhaps something Line 6 based would be a better choice.

lewis

Reaction score
for the smaller price range, why not pick up a used POD HD ?
they go super cheap now since the Helix range came out

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
What do you mean "if it comes out" ?

Is there word that this clusterfuck of a situation is gonna mess things up or something?

The POD Go was announced at this years NAMM, and given the coronavirus shit, I imagine a lot of stuff planned for release this year is gonna be held up.

mikah912

Reaction score
The POD Go was announced at this years NAMM, and given the coronavirus shit, I imagine a lot of stuff planned for release this year is gonna be held up.

They're already out in the wild, tho. Lots of orders have shipped and a second shipment is hitting retailers this week. Line 6 had their hardware stuff together.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Never tried a GE compared to a POD HD, but I had that combo for a month and I didn't like it. Reminded me how artificial the POD tones can sound.

Different output modes in HD-series are a real tone sucker, because they act as somekind of filters and have less or more low end etc. "Cleanest" of them is studio/direct more but it doesn't really work well with power amps, whole thing is just a mess. With the amp models it's really hard to find a sweet spot with gain, and they tend to have way too much low end. All of these problems are really hard to fix with an EQ. Also of course cab models in these units are terrible in today's standards.

Mooer GE-200, 250 and 300 are way better and don't have any of these frustrating quirks.

Obscurabeast2002

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Different output modes in HD-series are a real tone sucker, because they act as somekind of filters and have less or more low end etc. "Cleanest" of them is studio/direct more but it doesn't really work well with power amps, whole thing is just a mess. With the amp models it's really hard to find a sweet spot with gain, and they tend to have way too much low end. All of these problems are really hard to fix with an EQ. Also of course cab models in these units are terrible in today's standards.

Mooer GE-200, 250 and 300 are way better and don't have any of these frustrating quirks.

So should i just purchase the Mooer GE?

Metropolis

Reaction score
So should i just purchase the Mooer GE?

Why not, GE-200 is just in your price range and sounds good if you know what you're doing. For example Paolo from Hour Of Penance uses one, and Andy Gillion from Mors Principium Est has GE-200 and 250. I got myself also GE-250 a while ago.

You could also take a route on vst-plugins, small audio interface, Reaper for DAW and couple of plugins, you're set. But that might not be what you're looking for in the first place when looking at this thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts