Best Pups for metal prs 7 se ,

• Thread starter js75
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Darren James

Reaction score
The thing is that everyone has a different opinion on what the best tone is. I'd check to see what the guys are using who you like the tone of best. You may be surprised as to what they are using rather then just going with the flavour of the day.

js75

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.Barenuckles are not cheap.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
We're gonna need a bit more information to give the best suggestion.

What amp/cab are you using? What pedals, etc. and what pickups do you already like/use? What are you looking for more or less of? Some bands whose sounds you enjoy?

js75

Reaction score
Ok here we go.Guitar prs se 7,Cab ,building a 2x12 myself solid pine,closed back with some swamp thangs.Looking to get a small tube amp peavey 6505 mh or dark terror.will a set up like this get me a good modern metal tone.I just play in my basement and annoy my wife.Point me in the right direction.Pups and amp sugestions please

jerm

Reaction score
You could get Dimarzios. Just as good as the Bareknuckles, just less elite-metal-super-fanboy-djent-tone.

Bridge: Crunch lab, Illuminators, Ionizers, D-Activator, PAF
Neck: Liquifire, Blaze, Ionizer, Illuminator, PAF

Jujex

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.Barenuckles are not cheap.

Name a few bands that you enjoy and we can help you better, I have almost all the main brands on my different guitars and I can help.

andyjanson

Reaction score
You could get Dimarzios. Just as good as the Bareknuckles, just less elite-metal-super-fanboy-djent-tone.

Yea Dimarzios are great and I think this is accurate, but the backlash any BKP recommendation gets these days is so irritating :noplease: A few years back everyone was all about them, now if you so much as mention them you get labelled a djent fanboy/misha wannabe/whatever. Fact is they're just bloody good pickups. So are Dimarzios. So are Duncans. They're just another option out there if you have the cash. People are just so determined to prove that they're not a djenthead these days :lol:

js75

Reaction score
Anyone like some of the seymour duncan stuff.(Black winter,nazgul,invaders).My boy has a schecter custom s(sustaniac and invader)it sounds killer.runs it through the orange cr120 ss head and a orange 4x12 cab.Looking for some killer low end for my prs 7.As for amp peavey or orange?(6505mh or Dark terror)

andyjanson

Reaction score
Well you say you're after a good modern metal tone. I own a dark terror and whilst it's a great amp, it's definately not modern voiced at all, it's much more of an 80's metal or stoner type amp. If you want that tight, focused sound the peavey is the better choice really. As for the Duncan's I know for a fact that there are people on this forum that have Pegasus/sentient sets in their SE7s, perhaps they might chime in?

Darren James

Reaction score
I load most of my guitars with a Seymour Duncan Jb in the bridge. For me, it's the ultimate pickup as it has a lot of clarity and the right amount of tightness. plus, it's anything but muddy and is very versatile.

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
I just feel like we should be a little more courteous and not assume everyone has $350 to drop on guitar pickups. Honestly I think the Seymour Duncan Pegasus would sound awesome in that PRS.

Now, by all means, if you have the money for BKP.. 1 set wouldn't hurt ;)

I have a guitar with Juggs on the way, so I will know for myself soon. I don't care if people call me a Misha fanboy, that dude knows his gear.

js75

Reaction score
Watched the eminence speaker shootout on here.The tone he has going is probably what I'm looking for,or something similar.You guys have definatley given me alot to think about.Keep it coming.S.d> black winter??

Reaction score
It really depends on what kind of music you're playing.
I've used the Seymour Duncan Pegasus/Sentient combo and they did a good job of straddling the middle of the road between clean and high gain sounds.
But once I replaced them with the Bareknuckle Juggernauts, my high gain tone was instantly perfected (for me, at least).
They both sounded great- but I would use them for different applications.

bzhan1

Banned
Reaction score
Are bareknuckles actually worth 3x the price of normal pickups or are you just paying for the name and UK labor? I mean from the youtube comparisons they don't sound noticeably different, I think there was one where the EMGs actually sounded better

js75

Reaction score
Would it be worth changing out my bridge pickup with a Nailbomb and leaving the stock neck pick up in.I pretty much play rythme anyway.

Darren James

Reaction score
I actually didn't mind the neck pickup in my SE 7 so I left it and just changed out the bridge. I had no issues or complaints just make sure you wite it properly if you do so. That said, I put a Jb in mine and not a BKP.

Latest posts

')