Best speakers for 2x12...

• Thread starter JosephEMG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JosephEMG

Guitarrus
Reaction score
Hey guys, just want to know your opinion for a set of speakers best fit for metal/rock music. Celestion v30s? Celestion g12t-75? Greenbacks? Or a mix of any one of these. Already have a 2x12 cab ready. What do you guys think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Not a big fan of greenbacks sounds to buzzy/bee like for me. I'm voting for v30s.

GizmoJunior

Reaction score
v30's would be a good choice or you could look into pairing a Texas Heat with a Swamp Thang. They balance each other out nicely.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
k100/v30 for celestions is a great combo. v30 with a swampthang would probably work very well also,

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
What amp do you use and what wattage?

It is important to note that the power handling of a 2x12 is 2 multiplied by the power handling of the lowest powered speaker.

So if you use a Greenback (25 watts) and a V30 (60 watts) you only get 2 x 25 watts which = 50 watts power handling. For this reason I wouldn't recommend using a greenback if you have high wattage amp you turn up loud.

Without knowing what amp you have or some ballpark tones you like everyone is just going to be guessing based on their own experiences. Personally, I like 2x12s to have the same speakers on both sides, so I'd go for 2x V30s. :)

JosephEMG

Guitarrus
Reaction score
What amp do you use and what wattage?

It is important to note that the power handling of a 2x12 is 2 multiplied by the power handling of the lowest powered speaker.

So if you use a Greenback (25 watts) and a V30 (60 watts) you only get 2 x 25 watts which = 50 watts power handling. For this reason I wouldn't recommend using a greenback if you have high wattage amp you turn up loud.

Without knowing what amp you have or some ballpark tones you like everyone is just going to be guessing based on their own experiences. Personally, I like 2x12s to have the same speakers on both sides, so I'd go for 2x V30s. :)

I have a Line 6 Spider Valve HD100...so basically it's 100W. I currently have a modern lead and a g12-t75 installed and sometimes in gigs i think it's not loud enough. :ugh:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I had an Avatar Contempory 2X12 a while back and I tried a bunch of combos in it.
I settled on the V30/G12H30, those 2 speakers compliment each other really well.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
G12K-100!! Best speaker ever!! V30 is my second fave but I find they do better in 4x12's or bigger 2x12. Or bigger cabs in general

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
I always recommend these:

Eminence Swamp Thang and Eminence Wizard or Governor. Purely my own tastes, but I find them to have much more 'character' than other speakers. I've yet to hear anything bad about them!

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
K100s are INCREDIBLE speakers. I ran those for a long time. Im back to eminence legend V12s these days, though. I like the high wattage, clarity, and frequency balance that they have.

jrstinkfish

Reaction score
I've got a 2nd Avatar on the way with a couple of V30's in it. Gonna buy a pair of T100's from my friend for a bargain, and have both 2x12's with one T100 and one V30 in each. Should be interesting. Figure if the T100 doesn't work out, can always sell them and grab a couple of K100's for close to the selling price.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I've been digging Eminence Legend V12 / G12K as a combo lately. Anything G12K rocks... I think they are great for both gain and cleans. Legends are excellent speakers and can be found for a little cheaper than most.

sear

Reaction score
Eminence Legend is a very flat balanced speaker that lets you "hear your amp" instead of the speaker. Good choice for basically anything.

Eminence Governor is the most like a V30, with a midrange hump and a bit of honkiness and warmth.

Eminence Swamp Thang is slightly scooped but with a massive low-end/huge bass response (shakes walls etc.) and smooth highs.

GizmoJunior

Reaction score
I always recommend these:

Eminence Swamp Thang and Eminence Wizard or Governor. Purely my own tastes, but I find them to have much more 'character' than other speakers. I've yet to hear anything bad about them!

+1 for recommending the Wizard and Governor. They sound great together. I especially like the Man o' War with the Governor. That combo gives a nice, tight response and definitely works well together. I'm not sure if that's what the OP is looking for though.

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
Green back for its high mid and punch and the k-100 for its bottom punch so you get the best of both and the leads would sound insane

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and in case you guys wanted to get a pair of legend V12s for cheap...you can buy them from avatar for 135 a pair shipped. I just got mine a few months ago from them for that price. I still have yet to find a speaker that works so well in basically every situation.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
i just put in two delta pro 12a's (eminence) given they are heavy but they sound like evm's and are f***ing brutal, very nice low end, tight but will take a lot to break up though

if i had a second choice texas heat/swang thang

third some combo of warehouse guitar speakers, they aren't bad i don't care what anyone says

thanks for your time

Latest posts

')