Best Staggered Height Locking Tuners for Strat

• Thread starter tedtan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
I'm considering replacing the standard tuners on my strat with staggered height locking tuners, partly for convenience and partly to eliminate the string tree.

What are the best staggered height locking tuners for a strat these days?

Bearitone

Reaction score
Hipshot is the only thing that comes to mind

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The usual suspects come to mind.

In addition to Hipshot there's the Fender/Schaller option. You can get them cheap on Stratosphere if that's a concern.

Gotoh used to make a set, but I think they're discontinued.

GraphTech also makes them in staggered and locking. The Ratio are really cool, very high quality, but expensive.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've got Fenders on my Strats which are totally fine, but the best I've ever used are the Gotoh 510 thumbscrews, which I installed on my Suhr Modern 7. I don't know if they're available in the States, IIRC I imported them from a Japanese company.

https://g-gotoh.com/international/traditional-type-locking-tuner.html

Looks like Stew-Mac has them, though I don't know how competitive their prices are, $60 or so for a set of 6 in line tuners. You might find them for less elsewhere.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I love the Gotoh HAMP (?) tuners for Kluson style, and the Hipshots feel great for a modern style.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I have a set of Gotoh SG381 locking tuners on my Tele that are staggered height. Great tuners, super smooth and stable. I also have a 7 string set of the same tuners on my 7621

tedtan

Reaction score
Thanks! Guys.

I’ve always liked the (non-locking) Gotoh 510 tuners I have on a couple of acoustic guitars, so that looks like a good option.

For Drew and any others who have tried both, how do the Fender/Schaller locking tuners compare to the Gotoh 510s?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks! Guys.

I’ve always liked the (non-locking) Gotoh 510 tuners I have on a couple of acoustic guitars, so that looks like a good option.

For Drew and any others who have tried both, how do the Fender/Schaller locking tuners compare to the Gotoh 510s?

Quality is comparable between Gotoh and Schaller. Feature set is nearly identical.

I'd probably go by the easiest to install, unless there's an aesthetic preference you have with available button styles.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks! Guys.

Both are great. The Gotohs look and feel a little nicer, IMO, and have a higher machine ratio (I think they're 20:1), if that matters to you, but I happily use both.

tedtan

Reaction score
Thanks, Drew.

The Fenders are a drop in replacement, and I may go that route just for convenience, so it's good to hear that there isn't a significant difference in quality between the two.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I just bought a set of the staggered locking Gotoh tuners last week so they're still available.

Latest posts