Best Thrash Metal Pedal

• Thread starter reptillion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll say it again, just like Budda :

If you have a great amp, pedals up front are useless. Sorry, but a Raven amp ain't gonna cut it, so save yourself some trouble and just buy a better amp.

if you have a great amp, pedals still have their use: a different flavour. im pretty sure that some tones that are amazing happen to be a clean amp with a dirtbox of some sort out front - and that clean amp + distortion pedal would be the only way to get that tone.

so i wouldnt say they're usless, just not needed unless you want that type of distortion - which can sound quite good.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I still think they're useless if you have a great amp.

Do you know anybody that uses a disto pedal in the clean channel of a VHT, a Mesa, A Diezel or an Engl? If so, that's a waste.

Beside boosts, do you seriously think there is beyond 2% of pro guitar players that use a distorsion pedal as their main tone? I still think it's a bandaid for a poor amp. Anyway, just my opinion.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
pretty sure buddy from Muse doesnt get allll his sounds from his amp - then again, muse isnt a band i know much about :lol:

i know its not common to use a distortion pedal in front of a clean amp - the amps you listed arent normally used for cleans. there's guys who run fender twins/devilles and run distortion pedals into 'em for the dirty sounds.

i dont think a distortion pedal is useless - as darren, aaron, brian, scott, and art can attest - my TSovChaos into my JSX clean channel provides a pretty ballin' crunch sound that the amp just naturally wont produce.

it all depends on the application :)

that said i dont need any other pedals then my TSovChaos cuz it does everything i need it to - boost and awesome crunch.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
pretty sure buddy from Muse doesnt get allll his sounds from his amp - then again, muse isnt a band i know much about :lol:

i know its not common to use a distortion pedal in front of a clean amp - the amps you listed arent normally used for cleans. there's guys who run fender twins/devilles and run distortion pedals into 'em for the dirty sounds.

i dont think a distortion pedal is useless - as darren, aaron, brian, scott, and art can attest - my TSovChaos into my JSX clean channel provides a pretty ballin' crunch sound that the amp just naturally wont produce.

it all depends on the application :)

that said i dont need any other pedals then my TSovChaos cuz it does everything i need it to - boost and awesome crunch.

FWIW, I don't consider a TS a distorsion pedal. To me, it's like a "boost" / an "overdrive". As an example, a Metal Muff or a Boss Metal Zone are distorsion pedals to me.

And as far as putting a pedal before a clean channel... I do the same with my Bloody Murder trough my VHT. But that's not using it for (death metal) distorsion. It just gives your clean channel an added crunch and that's it. Anyway... To each their own. :shrug:

If someone feels like putting a 200$ disto pedal in front of a 200$ amp, more power to them. That's the situation the OP is in, and to me, it's a waste of money.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i think we're agreed that a distortion pedal in front of a good amp has its uses, death metal/metal not being one of them...

and buddy needs to get a new amp.

ya dig it? lol

Panterica

Banned
Reaction score
get a better amp.

as long as your amp is only half-decent, you're going to struggle (and spend needless money) to get a tone you find "decent".

get a better amp. and its not all about gain :rolleyes:

:agreed:

sell your shit, save your 250 and buy a 5150 or something.
you'll thank me in the long run

if you have a great amp, pedals still have their use: a different flavour. im pretty sure that some tones that are amazing happen to be a clean amp with a dirtbox of some sort out front - and that clean amp + distortion pedal would be the only way to get that tone.

so i wouldnt say they're usless, just not needed unless you want that type of distortion - which can sound quite good.

an added tool, flavour was a good word :agreed:
I argue anyone who says to buy an amp and just run pedals through it for your tones. they can have their daisy chain 250 square foot pedal board all day long, they're still gonna hate themselves when they hear my Engl :banana:

Spinedriver

Reaction score
The only problem with getting a 5150 is that if the OP is only playing in a basement/bedroom, a 100 watt tube amp is way too big.

I agree with others that perhaps something like a Marshall 8080 (combo version of the 8100) or maybe a Randall RG75 would be a bit more adequate.

Otherwise, if all you want to spend is $100 or so, the Uber Metal is quite possibly one of the heaviest pedals out there. AMT has the Du Hast and a couple of others that are pretty heavy too.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Surely the best thing our friend can do here is get on ebay and get a second hand Boss Metal Zone MT-2? If you can't get a decent thrash sound out of that then you aren't trying hard enough.

Considering reptillion's current gear it's the most cost effective way of getting a usable tone out of what (s)he's got. The pedal is so ham-fisted in it's approach it'll even make an SG sound thrash with that mid-scoop.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
The Black 13 (the one that mimicks Anthrax's various tones) pedal is a pretty sweet little box. You're sure to find a useable tone out of that, and than some. I had luck with that in front of my little Fender combo.

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I DONOT believe that you cannot get good death/thrash metal sounds with out amp distortion. Nothing that At The Gates recorded was ever done with amp distortion and I think they sound sick. I know Dissection is black metal but their tone on Storm of Lights Bane was useable for death metal, and they put MT-2s infront of Marshall half stacks.

If you go with the Boss MT-2 you are going to need an EQ end of story, its controls are too narrow banded. Or you could send it to LordOvChaos and have him mod it.

The Krank Distortus Maximus does really sick old school Metalica sounds. I've gotten really good sounds out of it in front of a Roland Micro Cube, 5150, XXX, VHT and my Triple Rectifier. If you want death metal territory,out of it, it will need a slight boost.

I personally wouldn't get a Metal Muff as it still has a very big fuzz pedal sound.

Oddly enough, the Grunge pedal can get really heavy if you really wanna keep your budget down.

A really really good option would be a Tech 21 Sansamp or Tri-A.C. as they sound amazing and are quite versatile.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
A really really good option would be a Tech 21 Sansamp or Tri-A.C. as they sound amazing and are quite versatile.

Also a sound investment for the future when your tastes change!

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
My Marshall can get a pretty hefty distortion, but I prefer to run it clean and have my Line 6 Uber Metal up front, which has the perfect distortion for me which I can't quite quite get out of my amp (its close). I use the built in chorus though.

Its a matter of preference, but I'd get a better amp first.

Btw I have 666 posts :p

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru

mustang-monk

Reaction score
in bradfrod trying to writea dissertation at the l
TBF after 9 months i dont think a great deal of people are gonna be going out and buying fantastic expensive amps, i spent years on a cheap 15w amp and a cheap S/H dist pedal (DOD Heavy Metal) it served its purpose of practising etc. A tube half stack might be overkill.

If youve got the budget for something really good go for it, but i wouldnt be rushing to get all my pennies together.

7StringedBeast

Random Fingers
Reaction score
I love my Hobbertt Simulamp, it's a handmade pedal, almost the same as a Sansamp GT-2 but with a few improvements (circuit improvements, less noise than the original, etc). I will post a pic of my pedalboard as soon as my new case arrives and you will see it (cause the old one got small recently hehehe).

And yes, I use my pedal as main distortion. The Orange Rockerverb 50w that I use to rehearse doesn't sound good for me, but it sounds :metal: when I turn it's gain down and use the Mesa simulation on the pedal.

Oh just found a pic:

Attachments

• simulamp_fundo_amar.jpg
    simulamp_fundo_amar.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 11

reptillion

Reaction score
Just wanna let you guys know I settled on a metal muff a long time ago, but thanks for all the response. I want an 8100, but im not sure if i want to buy that or a 7 string first. So much crap to buy, so much recession. Ill probably end up getting a 7 first, as my amp is enough for now, then get an 8100 and a orange 2x12.

And Chuck Schuldiner is somewhere on my top 5, so the 8100 would be sick.

Surely the best thing our friend can do here is get on ebay and get a second hand Boss Metal Zone MT-2? If you can't get a decent thrash sound out of that then you aren't trying hard enough.

Considering reptillion's current gear it's the most cost effective way of getting a usable tone out of what (s)he's got. The pedal is so ham-fisted in it's approach it'll even make an SG sound thrash with that mid-scoop.

I find this highly offensive:fawk:
SG's fucking rock:shred:
I traded my ibanez for an SG, because the paperneck just didnt do it or early thrash riffing. Plus I dont like strat shape guitars. If i get an 8100 i might get an x2n though, to prove my chuck fanboyism

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
The amp vs. Dist. Pedal debate isn't entirely false. As there are many bad/lackluster/thin/muddy dist. pedals out there, but there are also a few good ones.

This is also reminding me to get a metal muff. Those things sound SICK!! :hbang:

reptillion

Reaction score
That they do, the only problem is I have to bend down on my knees for half an hour and play with a total of 11 knobs to find a good tone.
Any cab recommendations for a 8100 in the future. Im liking orange 2x12, but they seem a bit pricy

')