Best tube 1x12 combo for heavy music.

• Thread starter hand amputation
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hand amputation

Reaction score
Looking for a good tube 1x12 combo for recording. Want to be able to get heavy tones a-la 5150 or JCM with a Tube Screamer out in front of it. Looking to spend at or around $800.

Styles include Djent, Death Metal, Thrash, and Industrial.

What, in your experience, has been the best sounding amp for this?

Thanks in advance!

runbirdman

Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy
Reaction score
I like the DSL in that price range. If you can swing a 2x12 the older MIA 5150 combos are top notch because I think there's been some issues with the newer 5150 1x12's effects loop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hand amputation

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. Looks like the 6505+ 112 is the clear winner here!

I got a killer deal on a DSL40CR 1x12, so I'm gonna try it for a while and flip it if I can't get what I'm looking for out of it.

Thanks again!

LCW

Reaction score
Looking for a good tube 1x12 combo for recording. Want to be able to get heavy tones a-la 5150 or JCM with a Tube Screamer out in front of it. Looking to spend at or around $800.

Styles include Djent, Death Metal, Thrash, and Industrial.

What, in your experience, has been the best sounding amp for this?

Thanks in advance!

Wouldn't recommend a 5150 III combo. I had a 5150 III 50w head that sounded good through a Mesa 2x12, but the combo version of those amps just sounded bad IMO... not sure if the speaker choice they use, or the speaker/amp interaction of such a high gain combo doesn't work well.

DSL40CR are pretty legit and work great with pedals like tubescreamers and RATs. Would probably get a noise gate, as it's noise on OD2 of the drive side.

hand amputation

Reaction score
Wouldn't recommend a 5150 III combo. I had a 5150 III 50w head that sounded good through a Mesa 2x12, but the combo version of those amps just sounded bad IMO... not sure if the speaker choice they use, or the speaker/amp interaction of such a high gain combo doesn't work well.

DSL40CR are pretty legit and work great with pedals like tubescreamers and RATs. Would probably get a noise gate, as it's noise on OD2 of the drive side.

Thanks for the tip on the noise gate!

Latest posts