Best used guitar under $400

• Thread starter Max_Molina_Luthier
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Max_Molina_Luthier

Reaction score
I recently got a Jackson Dr3 (ash body) from guitar center and even though it feels good and sounds massive even with the stock pups it going back do to the condition of the neck.
Basically there is too much fret wear to get a fret leveling.

So once I get my money back I'm out looking for another guitar.

Requirements:
MIJ!
Not Black (unless ash body)
Trem equipped (like Floyds and the parker trem)
2 Hum
NOT IBANEZ

Prefer (does not HAVE to be:
Bolt on
22 frets
Maple or Ebony Fretboard
(If inline headstock) Reverse Headstock

I have been looking to get a JACKSON mostly as I like this one but feel I can find a better condition guitar for the same amount.

I already know of the Jackson Dk2s and there professional series's but are there any other Jackson's or guitars in general I should keep my eyes out for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
there's also the old dkmg and dxmg. both made in japan (except for one year of production i think). the dxmg can only be found in black tho, while the dkmg has an arched top and can be found in a couple of different colors (metallic blue and green, black, I think even flamed red)

Max_Molina_Luthier

Reaction score
Well the problem I'm coming to with the guitar is well
it would need a re-fret which I'm fine with but it would cost around 230 bucks which is fair but I could get a new neck for that kind of money (obviously not at supped up one). And if I were to go for the new neck I wouldn't feel right as it wouldn't be a dr3 anymore just a parts dinky.

The reason I made this thread was to see if there were any other options for the price that I paid for this as I can get a full refund thanks again.
ps not looking for EMGs. must be passive

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Is there any reason you want to avoid Ibanez? You can probably find you an old Roadstar, which aren't like modern Ibbys.

And this is a bit out of left field, but maybe an old Aria? They're usually very cheap, but are MiJ.

Max_Molina_Luthier

Reaction score
Ibanez's are ok but I don't like there neck profile as they feel too flat to me. If I were to get a n Ibanez it would need to be a premium at LEAST which are newish so used ones are not so readily available and prestige's at great deals are hard if not possible to find.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Which is why I recommended the Roadstars.
They're more like Fender necks than Ibanez Wizards.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
Really, anything under $400 is pretty suspect - just make sure it's what you'd like to experiment with.

I got a Schecter Damien as a first 8 for cheap as hell and love the thing. It's all in your homework.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Jackson Professional from the 90s. There are still some floating around, and the guys who built them are now Caparison.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well the problem I'm coming to with the guitar is well
it would need a re-fret which I'm fine with but it would cost around 230 bucks which is fair but I could get a new neck for that kind of money (obviously not at supped up one). And if I were to go for the new neck I wouldn't feel right as it wouldn't be a dr3 anymore just a parts dinky.

The reason I made this thread was to see if there were any other options for the price that I paid for this as I can get a full refund thanks again.
ps not looking for EMGs. must be passive

A proper re-fret from an experienced tech or luthier will make the guitar play better than ever before. It's an upgrade that will last a very long time and take the guitar to another level.

What new neck are you getting for $230? Even a bog standard, unfinished, fret-work-needing Warmoth neck is still about $200 delivered and will require another $100 or so of work to get functional.

If you like the DR3, just get it fixed up. Unless you like playing fretwork roulette. :lol:

Ibanez's are ok but I don't like there neck profile as they feel too flat to me. If I were to get a n Ibanez it would need to be a premium at LEAST which are newish so used ones are not so readily available and prestige's at great deals are hard if not possible to find.

The older MIJ Ibanez stuff is better than most Premium, and tons of Prestige stuff out there.

Stuff to look for:
-Anything with an Ultra neck
-Pre-87' Roadstar and RG models
-Blazer Series
-Proline Series

All can be found for within your price range or really really close, many are H-H with trems, the necks are thicker and rounder than newer Ibanez models and they're all well made in Japan.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
MIJ Jacksons FTW!

I got my DKMG in mint condition with a case for $380, and see that model and the DK2M go anywhere from $300-500 all the time.

I've wanted a snow white DK2M since I was like 13 and would still pick one up if I had the spare cash.

Latest posts

')