Best V30 pairing in a 2x12 cab

What is the best speaker pairing for a V30 in a 2x12?

• Celestion GH12K100

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Celestion G12H-T75

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Swamp Thang

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to add another cab to setup soon, and I'm set on going custom with Avatar. I play metalcore and all things brutal (Northlane, Architects, Currents, August Burns Red, etc.), and I use a PRS MT15 head with an Ibanez iron label 6 string.

My current cab is a PRS stealth 2x12 with a V30 and Hellatone 25 (sounds like a greenback). Honestly, I love the cab. However, I'd like to keep it at my rehearsal space and get a new cab for my own mini studio.

Anyways, I'm looking to get the oversized contemporary 2x12 cab from Avatar. I know I want a v30 in it, but I'd like to get another different speaker in there as well. I live the mid bump the v30 provides. However, I'd live another speaker that compliments it best for playing brutal chugs and rhythm.

After looking here and other forums, I think it sounds like the three best options would be a G12K100, G12H-T75, or a Swamp Thang.

What do you guys think would be the best pairing for what I described?

Thanks everyone!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnoll

Reaction score
Probably whichever you like best. We don't know your tastes. Things sound different, but there's usually not an objective "best" option.

Listen to speaker demos, try different cabs/speakers, get a feel for what you like, and get that. Don't just get something that people say you should get.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I voted for the Swamp Thang out of those 3 options, but I would also look into the Creamback M and H models if you like the Greenback/V30 pairing in your existing cab. The Creamback is made to be similar to a Greenback, but with much higher power handling and a sensitivity rating closer to the V30.

ms17a

Reaction score
Cool pairing video of a vintage30 with the swamp thang:

Due to this demo I paired these two in my 2X12 vertical closed back victory cab. I like these two a lot, so I voted for them :)...you should also experiment with series vs parallel wiring. Also change the order of the speakers in series wiring. All this effects the sound. It's tweaking between a bit more middy in different colours (series wirings) to more attack (parallel)...

Greetings, Mark

Last edited:

jarledge

Reaction score
i voted for the 100. I have used the 30 and 100 in one of my cabs and felt it had a really big full sound. the 100 giving a lot of low end thump, and evening out the mids of the 30, while neither one have ton of harshness in the high end. The 100s do have a little sharpness in the high end but it rolls off before sounding too thin or shrill.

I do have 30s, and swamp thangs but I haven't tried them side by side in the same cab. I am sure it would work great. I have also used the g12-75 and it is similar to the 100s so again it works pretty well. The 75s don't have as large of a low end response as the swamp thang or the 100.

I'd say if you want real thump in the low end, it would be swamp thang, 100 with 75 being the tightest sounding of the 3.

Eyelessfiend

Reaction score
I actually had a V30/K100 2x12, an Eminence Swamp Thang/V30 combo and a Swamp Thang/Governor. The last combo being in a different 2x12 entirely. The V30/K100 is probably what you'd want. Its a great combo and they compliment each other amazingly. I couldn't gel with the V30 but love the Emi Governor and still have a cab loaded with K100's. Can't really go wrong

laxu

Reaction score
I liked the G12H-100 with a V30. They fit together well.

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Update...

So, I ended up ordering an oversized cabinet through Avatar and pairing the V30 with a Swamp Thang. It's absolutely nuts... My Low end is super tight, full, and mean. I mean, wow. The funny thing is though, my clean channel is where the combination truly shines. Now, my cleans have a Fender like chime! It shimmers so much that I had to check if I left my chorus pedal on!

For any PRS MT 15 owners, get this cab. It's simply mad how great it sounds!

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I should also mention that pairing this cabinet with my other cab was nothing short of glorious. The other cab is a PRS Stealth compact cab with a UK (Mesa voiced) V30 and a Hellatone 25 (broken in Greenback).

Cleans THUMP yet sparkle. Leads are aggressive, tight, full, and absolutely brutal.

Reactions: LCW

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I A/B'd G12K/V30 and Swamp/Gov in the same cabs (Emperor 2x12). G12K/V30 is my favorite combo for high gain. When pushed the V30 speaker breakup and G12K dryness (with solid pushy low end) blend perfectly. The only reason I use Emi Legends over the combo is because I liked the top end for cleans a little more (with Legends in my particular cab overall response is similar/comparable, tight pushy low end, etc, but not as raspy in the mid) .

Swamp/Gov is bigger (more low range extension), louder, more modern sounding. I liked the sound of G12/V30 more but Swamp/Gov had slightly more sledge hammer factor.