Best vibrato

• Thread starter Jongpil Yun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vibrato
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Zakk Wylde :p only jokin, sounds like he's stranglin it!!

Frank Gambale. Very tasteful.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
Lately I've really been amazed by Stephan Forte's vibritao from Adagio. That guy has great technique. Michael Romeo and Marty Friedman also have some of the best vibrato imo.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Any particular songs by these guys to check out ?

For all the maiden and priest stuff, I'm sure that you're already familiar. I would recommend sad wings for priest and number of the beast for maiden.

Perlman has recorded the paganini caprices. Those are good. There are a couple that stand out. Sonnenberg
music02.jpg
recorded the four seasons, which has great recommendations.

For stevie, check out the live at the el macambo dvd. it's sick.

*edit*

Man, what a great thread.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, aside from his vibrato, Friedman's Japanese is damn good.

And when he was doing The Final Countdown in that video, did it remind anyone else of the theme songs from any of the Wild Arms videogames? o_O

Anyways, Friedman's vibrato is definitely good (maybe as good as Vai's), but in my opinion, several times in that video he made it too wide too fast. I've always held that you want to gently work into a very wide vibrato so that it doesn't drown the note you're trying to hit. Well, something like that. It's hard to think of a good way to express exactly what I'm thinking.

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
+1 each for Vai, Gilbert and Malmsteen - all different but all crazily good :yesway:

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Early Clapton
Jeff Beck
Jimi Hendrix
Gary Moore
Billy Gibbons
Michael Shenker
Neal Schon
Steve Lukather
SRV
Frank Zappa
Brad Gillis
Joe Satriani

Those are the guys that make me plug into an inline tuner and practice bending and vibrato with feel and control till it hurts - literally.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I really always liked Mark Tremonti's. He had a way to make his guitar sing.... i still am a huge fan of all his works (creed included)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
How has this thread gone on this far without a nod to Pete Starks?

Malmsteen's vibrato is pretty awesome, too - even if you don't like the guy's music, listen to a track or two again and pay attention to his viibrato. Sure, it's a scalloped board with .008's, but it's great vibrato nonetheless.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Best ever? Wow, I don't know. I've heard way less than .001% of all musicians ever! Of the ones I have heard I could still only guess, but Itzhak Perlman would be a comfortable enough guess for me. He can do whatever he wishes at will, so, that's about where we all hope to be (technically, anyway) I suppose.

')