Best way to begin recording

• Thread starter JoshuaVonFlash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
Hey, guys I've been really wanting to record my own music as I haven't had any luck finding musicians to play with I'll just record all the instruments on my own. What would be the way to begin recording, should I get a rack preamp like a Line 6 Pro X, Eleven Rack, I may be able to get a Fractal but it'll be something like an Axe Fx 1 or a Ultra (Axe Fx ll is a bit over my budget right now) and just connect that to my PC and record direct. Would I need something like qbase for recording. As for recording drums I'm thinking of using rockband drums to record the drum tracks.(have them conected via MIDI?)I'm not very sure how most of this stuff is done so please enlighten me with suggestions and what I'll need.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bcolville

Reaction score
I think the most user friendly way to start recording is with something along the lines of a Pod HD Pro because it is also an interface. You can record guitars and bass how you like to, run a mic for vocals, and use stuff like ezdrummer for drums.

coffinwisdom

Reaction score
If you can comfortably afford an Axe-FX or Kemper then get one. A lot of people still use the Ultra. You will not be disappointed with either.

Otherwise Pod HD is the next best thing for significantly cheaper. I only really have experience with the Pod HD500 which I am very happy with. The editing software it comes with is pretty easy to use and great for working in a DAW environment. It's comparable to Fractal or Kemper sound-wise after a lot of time spent tweaking IMO but it still doesn't quite get there

DVRP

The HUMANCENTiPAD
Reaction score
Does it allow recording of instruments/other instruments along with guitar or would I need Something like Qbase to go with the Line 6's DAW.

Almost any DAW out there will be able to do exactly what you need. I recommend Reaper because its essentially free, and there's not a steep learning curve. But you will also need an interface to connect your instruments to your computer. I use my Pod because it has one built in.

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
I've had great results (in my amateur opinion) using reaper as my DAW, and using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface, and then a program called Guitar Rig 5 for all my guitar tones. For drums I use Superior Drummer.

I have a POD 2.0 but I like the wide array of effects with GR5.

Flemmigan

Snoofin' your gear
Reaction score
I think Im going to get a pod pro, I'll save up this month and will have by next month. So I'll tell you guys how it goes.

I'd strongly suggest going with the POD HD500 instead. Essentially the same thing in a footboard format for $200 less. I have two POD HD Pro's and kick myself over how I could've gotten a wireless receiver too if I'd just gone for the HD500.

autumnhour

Lay Pleiadian
Reaction score
I would suggest a pod ux2 or ux1 honestly for the line in. You can get a ux1 for about 90 bucks nowadays and the tone is pretty good if you mix it well.
Honestly, I'm using a pod ux1 with fl studio and no superior drummer, just map out all my drums and use custom samples
If you're looking for real dynamics with the drums, superior is great, as is drumagog if you have plenty of samples

But I'd suggest pod farm and the ux1.
Heres some recordings I've done with the above mentioned

https://soundcloud.com/laypleiadian/24-minus-three

https://soundcloud.com/laypleiadian/jaeger-ft-anthony-puddu

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I just started with a ux2 and I've been messing with reaper + lepou vsts and impulse loader + god cab impulses + tse 808 vst and I've been getting great results. It sounded awful at first but it's been a work in process and now it sounds fantastic.

autumnhour

Lay Pleiadian
Reaction score
If you end up using podfarm and such, I'd recommend recording with the dry signal.
You can open up podfarm as a plugin in your daw and apply any tone to a dry signal, therefore, you can change the tone at any time
Just found this out a couple weeks ago, even though its common knowledge, and its honestly a game changer

Pezshreds

SSBRO.org Regular
Reaction score
I used a line 6 GX for a good 3-4 years before I bought an interface and axe fx ultra. I loved pod farm haha.

I was using nuendo for years, until I upgraded to pro tools a couple of years ago. I've heard so many good things about Reaper though.
This forum is littered with drum machines you can use. I personally use superior drummer (Like the majority of this forum)

EDIT: (I can't like the above post for some reason :S) +1 to dry signal. Gives you the opportunity to mix/tweak/change whatever you want, whenever you want how you want. So you're not locked in to any tone while recording :)

Given To Fly

Reaction score
A basic recording setup will look something like this:

Audio Interface -> Computer (via USB or Firewire) -> DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) When people talk about DAW's they are generally talking about the program they use to record rather than the entire "workstation." Examples of DAW's are Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer, Reaper, Reason, and others... -> Studio Monitors, Monitor Headphones

This is a standard digital setup. If you want to record using microphones you'll want to give more attention to your audio interface and the microphones themselves.

I started with an Eleven Rack which came with Pro Tools 10 (now comes with both 10/11). After a year, I traded my Eleven Rack so I no longer have a "horse in this race," but I would still recommend it as a great way to start recording because the Eleven Rack itself is a good audio interface + guitar preamp with a lot of I/O. The Eleven Rack taught me a lot about recording and it has useful features that other guitar based interfaces don't, such as being able to reamp using only the Eleven Rack.

That's my :2c: . :wavey:

')