Best way to keep natural maple f/board clean?

• Thread starter Riffmagus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riffmagus

Reaction score
I have some Dr. Duck's Ax Wax - will this be fine to use on the neck on my Agile 828 Pro? It's unfinished, so I figured each time I change strings, I'll run the wax over it to clean it up and get rid of the grime that builds up behind the frets. It certainly states it's a very safe polish for all instrument types - anyone else use it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

matttttYCE

Reaction score
Your Agile should have a finish on it (unless custom ordered with no finish which I didn't even think was possible). Most EVERY maple board you see has a finish on it for some reason. And thus, if you use a wax to clean it, you will just get a bunch of build up on the fretboard, which will transfer to your stings and you don't want that. I'd say just try some Dunlop 65something guitar polish and a soft cotton cloth or nothing but a plain old damp cotton cloth. Then again, if you are absolutely sure yours will not have a finish..the wax might be a good way to go.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I don't think the "Ax Wax" actually contains any wax. It's supposed to be a very finish-friendly cleaner if that's the product I'm thinking of...

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Do not apply stuff meant to clean up unfinished boards. A damp cloth is all you use to clean up a maple board, usually, along with the trusted toothbrush to remove any leftovers by the frets.

Erik Hauri

Lumber -> Guitars
Reaction score
An unfinished maple neck or fretboard is just a bad idea - for this very reason. I know it feels nice, but there are several ways to get a finished neck that still feels great.

')