Better to send an invoice or just give your PP email when selling gear?

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m super skittish about selling gear online because of buyer scams. Is there any difference, in terms of seller protection, between sending a person an invoice vs just giving them my PayPal email address? I’ve bought both ways, but haven’t sold via PayPal in a while.

Or, is reverb better? I’ve just seen a lot about PayPal money getting frozen - especially for people who don’t routinely sell stuff. Not sure if reverb is the same way or what.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I take it the gear in question is listed locally?

Can always consign it.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
If you want buyer protection, use regular paypal, not friends and family. If you want seller protection, same thing, but paypal won't payout til you ship the item with tracking, AND it's delivered.

Reverb pays out day of shipping provided you've got a high enough feedback score and provide shipping. They also take a much bigger cut of your profit though. Plus side is they usually have good discounts on shipping labels.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I always avoid giving my PP to anyone on the internet.

OH you mean PayPal. Then, I have no real advice. But still, I've always avoided shipping anything out if it's of any real value, 'cause I don't trust internet strangers to not pull a fast one. Local sale only when it's an option.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
paypal won't payout til you ship the item with tracking, AND it's delivered.
And hassle their customer service for a week or two.

Something came up with reverb and I can't even post new listings because a page comes up saying something is wrong with my PayPal account. So I asked reverb and they said talk to PayPal. So I talked to PayPal and they said they checked my account thoroughly and nothing is wrong. Now reverb is just ignoring my emails for about a week and a half now.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Came here for the penis...jokes. Left satisfied. :cool:

But really, @Hollowway, there's always risk. Even PayPal and Reverb have no problem screwing sellers, so your best bet is to probably go outside them and use your bank. I don't know who you bank with, but most have some sort of preferred money sending app/facility. For example I use USAA and they're all about Zelle, which is like Venmo but they sort push it in a somewhat annoying way.

I've used it and it's stupid simple and my bank has my back. Took like three clicks to setup, but I can see a buyer not being comfortable if they've never used it before.

Which, sort of gets to the issue: if the buyer doesn't want to use your preferred payment system you're pretty much SOL unless you're selling something special.

For the record, I have PayPal and use seldom, only if I have to. Same with Reverb. I've never been burned but I've heard enough horror stories from both sides.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score

But really, @Hollowway, there's always risk. Even PayPal and Reverb have no problem screwing sellers, so your best bet is to probably go outside them and use your bank. I don't know who you bank with, but most have some sort of preferred money sending app/facility. For example I use USAA and they're all about Zelle, which is like Venmo but they sort push it in a somewhat annoying way.

I've used it and it's stupid simple and my bank has my back. Took like three clicks to setup, but I can see a buyer not being comfortable if they've never used it before.

Which, sort of gets to the issue: if the buyer doesn't want to use your preferred payment system you're pretty much SOL unless you're selling something special.

For the record, I have PayPal and use seldom, only if I have to. Same with Reverb. I've never been burned but I've heard enough horror stories from both sides.
It's like every third or fourth thing I sell on reverb with PayPal there is a problem where it takes weeks or months to get paid. I'm so sick of it. If you're a big retail shop with a reverb store then it's probably not such a big deal. But for just regular people buying and selling junk it's become a royal pain in the ass to sell. I sold a catalinbread dls with a power supply. The tracking stopped after leaving Poland which usually happens. Buyer gets impatient and throws a fit. I have to refund and eat all the fees. Two days later I check the tracking and the package was delivered and signed for.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's like every third or fourth thing I sell on reverb with PayPal there is a problem where it takes weeks or months to get paid. I'm so sick of it. If you're a big retail shop with a reverb store then it's probably not such a big deal. But for just regular people buying and selling junk it's become a royal pain in the ass to sell. I sold a catalinbread dls with a power supply. The tracking stopped after leaving Poland which usually happens. Buyer gets impatient and throws a fit. I have to refund and eat all the fees. Two days later I check the tracking and the package was delivered and signed for.

Yeah, I try to avoid international unless it's a very experienced buyer/seller or someone I've worked with before. Just too much bullshit.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Yeah, I'd prefer another method, but buyers like the "buyer protection" that reverb and PayPal offer, so that's what makes it tough. I totally get it - I also prefer that protection - but I'm also worried about seller protection, and as @Alsvartr said, PayPal has a reputation of hanging on to the funds for a super long time.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd prefer another method, but buyers like the "buyer protection" that reverb and PayPal offer, so that's what makes it tough. I totally get it - I also prefer that protection - but I'm also worried about seller protection, and as @Alsvartr said, PayPal has a reputation of hanging on to the funds for a super long time.

You assume risk either way. There is no one option that works for everyone, one side has to concede protection for the other. Who gives up what depends on which party is more desperate to make the sale, the buyer or seller.