Between The Buried And Me

• Thread starter beefshoes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alaska is still my favorite... perfect mix of their older style and newer style. I like pretty much everything they've ever done though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

continental

Reaction score
Alaska is my favorite album of theirs...but it also seems to get the most hate. don't understand why.
They also re-released Alaska without the vocals, which is pretty awesome.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
I think BTBAM is trying TOO hard to be a Prog band. I thought Colors was a great record and the progressive elements introduced didn't seem overdone. Even the polka breakdown fitted very well but there were just so many things on The Great Misdirect that really frustrated me. If Swim To The Moon ended 7 minutes earlier it would have been a great song but they dragged it on way too long.

I still think their most consistent material is to be found on their first 3 albums....The Silent Circus being my personal favorite.

Basically this. I don't like The Great Misdirect much, it's an incoherent amalgamation of ideas. Some of the transitions on the album make me think, "Really? You couldn't think of any other way to connect those two completely different parts other than shoving them together?" I'm just not interested in hearing a band force their way through genres within a song. I actually really dig Mirrors though; coincidentally, all the sections of the song are seamless.

boni

Reaction score
I can remember myself listening to the first BTBAM album and I would never guess that they were going to progress so much and become so famous

pineappleman

Why can I not sleep?
Reaction score
Basically this. I don't like The Great Misdirect much, it's an incoherent amalgamation of ideas. Some of the transitions on the album make me think, "Really? You couldn't think of any other way to connect those two completely different parts other than shoving them together?" I'm just not interested in hearing a band force their way through genres within a song. I actually really dig Mirrors though; coincidentally, all the sections of the song are seamless.
I think that's the reason why I like Colors and Alaska so much more than TGM. That and the intense Dream Theater influence eclipsing their more hardcore influences. That being said, I still absolutely love TGM because it's still BTBAM.

MistaMarko

www.markmichell.com
Reaction score
Colors was a good mix of hardcore and prog, TGM was a good mix of prog and prog. Although I certainly love TGM, I think their pre-Colors and maybe a little bit of Colors sound suited them best. Silent Circus was horrible, Alaska was decent, Colors was good.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
Colors was a good mix of hardcore and prog, TGM was a good mix of prog and prog. Although I certainly love TGM, I think their pre-Colors and maybe a little bit of Colors sound suited them best. Silent Circus was horrible, Alaska was decent, Colors was good.

"their pre-Colors and maybe a little bit of Colors sound suited them best"

if that's the case then why in the world would you say TSC is horrible and Alaska, decent? you just completely contradicted yourself. learn2english

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
I (unsurprisingly) like the latest album the best, but all their stuff is really decent. The covers album was the only one that left me flat. A few songs were really killer, but too many just didn't get the BTBAM spin on them and just sounded like facsimiles.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I was not a big fan of TGM until probably the third full listen, now I like it more than Colors. Fantastic album :metal:

MistaMarko

www.markmichell.com
Reaction score
"their pre-Colors and maybe a little bit of Colors sound suited them best"

if that's the case then why in the world would you say TSC is horrible and Alaska, decent? you just completely contradicted yourself. learn2english

By pre-Colors, I meant the album before Colors. learn2read

cypher858

Reaction score
Mordecai is awesome
Alaska is awesome
Backwards marathon is awesome
Informal gluttony is awesome
Disease Injury Madness is awesome

BTBAM is awesome
end of discussion

Arterial

Dreamer
Reaction score
Mordecai is awesome
Alaska is awesome
Backwards marathon is awesome
Informal gluttony is awesome
Disease Injury Madness is awesome

BTBAM is awesome
end of discussion
i can agree with all of that, but no end of discussion, me love btbam thread :p

and hey, no love for selkies? selkies tbh is one of the best songs by them.

')