Beyonce, Super Bowl performance

• Thread starter ILuvPillows
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ILuvPillows

Baby seal will destr
Reaction score
I realise that many of you may not be interested in anything that doesn't contain at least one example of a diminished scale, with this in mind think wisely as to whether you wish to enter this thread.

On to business. Having just watched Beyonce's performance at the Super Bowl, I am blown away by how fantastic her shows have become. Along with her performance at last years Glastonbury she's definitely one of the top performers in our current time.

Beyonce Half Time Show Performance 2013 - Super Bowl XVLII - (HD) [FULL] - YouTube!

Anyone else impressed by the return of grand showmanship?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jehu12141987

Reaction score
I think the key term here is "Show". If you love twirling and dancing and shaking that thang, then this was by far a great show.

As far as performance goes... my vote for next year's Super Bowl halftime gig goes to the Foo Fighters, who would obnoxiously/proudly announce that they played/sand every ounce of their performance.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Anyone else impressed by the return of grand showmanship?

Yes, it is very impressive. Last month I took my girlfriend and her much younger sister to see Justin Bieber (put the pitchforks away) and I left astounded at the production value. It was extremely impressive to see all of the effort that went into it and I spent the majority of the time just trying to watch all the peons behind the scenes working all of the sets and stuff. It was intriguing, to say the very least. You could tell that a lot of hard work by some extremely talented people go into the production of these shows. As someone who considered being a drama major, I really really appreciated the sets and it's easy to see that these people really did earn their pay with these kinds of things.

And a side note. When Justice Beaver introduced his band, his guitarist has MAD chops. Sadly, no one cared except me. :noway:

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
I think the key term here is "Show". If you love twirling and dancing and shaking that thang, then this was by far a great show.
Considering the performer and the primary demographic watching the Super Bowl, I'd say that makes the show a grand success :lol: She's got a fantastic voice, but let's be honest - she was there to shake what she's got in as little clothing as the FCC would allow.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Yes, it is very impressive. Last month I took my girlfriend and her much younger sister to see Justin Bieber (put the pitchforks away) and I left astounded at the production value. It was extremely impressive to see all of the effort that went into it and I spent the majority of the time just trying to watch all the peons behind the scenes working all of the sets and stuff. It was intriguing, to say the very least. You could tell that a lot of hard work by some extremely talented people go into the production of these shows. As someone who considered being a drama major, I really really appreciated the sets and it's easy to see that these people really did earn their pay with these kinds of things.

And a side note. When Justice Beaver introduced his band, his guitarist has MAD chops. Sadly, no one cared except me. :noway:

These are the things that are lacking in rock/metal today. Showmanship died with hair bands.

bannyd

Reaction score
every time I play shows - i make it a point to be completely out of breath and exhausted by the end of it

its at that moment where i know i've given it my all for everyone in the crowd

i'll never let that part of me die

Krullnar

Reaction score

As far as performance goes... my vote for next year's Super Bowl halftime gig goes to the Foo Fighters, who would obnoxiously/proudly announce that they played/sand every ounce of their performance.

I caught a Foo Fighters concert on Palladium a few years ago. It was a wall of undiscernible noise, like a Dinosaur Jr. show from the early '90s... not fit for human consumption. I was stunned at how bad it was. Actually that's why I kept watching, it was fascinating.

Zei

Reaction score

I saw Lady Gaga a couple years back and my god it was the best show I've ever been to. The production and everything was amazing. I could even tell she was singing (breaths and stuff from the mic).

Lady Gaga's guitarist was so good, too. She had metal versions of her songs during the show and he took a solo a lot of the time... and my god, I felt like I was in the 80's with the shredders :shred:

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
People can knock Beyonce all day long for being "pop" or whatever but she and her band perform tighter and more realistic than a huge portion of what is considered awesome in the rock/metal circuit these days. While still doing all the "show" elements. If you have seen her live (not just talking about last nights performance) she always has fantastic full band arrangements of her songs and her band members are top notch. I think it's pretty refreshing in a pop scene that is dominated with rehashed tracks and a two decade long auto tune addiction.

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
I caught a Foo Fighters concert on Palladium a few years ago. It was a wall of undiscernible noise, like a Dinosaur Jr. show from the early '90s... not fit for human consumption. I was stunned at how bad it was. Actually that's why I kept watching, it was fascinating.

I love Foo Fighters first two albums but I have always been amazed how Dave Grohl regresses to shouting every song no matter what live. I haven't seen them in a long time so maybe this has changed but it always used to drive me up a wall.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
How is their show more "realistic"? I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but given my best guess, I find that hard to substantiate when she spends half of the song dancing and not singing or lip synching and just letting the recorded version sing for her.

Gnome7

Reaction score
She was dancing to a backing track, and occasionally singing. I'm sorry but I care about the actual performance of the song, not the dance to it.

Kiwimetal101

'Tread Lightly'
Reaction score
I thought she sounded terrible when she first started but picked it up after a few mins...

I laughed so hard when the firework guitar came out.. I mean seriously...

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I didn't watch the Superbowl.

I'm not surprised that the guys on here are giving Beyonce a hard time. I don't really care about her, but I think it's silly that someone can be disapproving of a pop artist being too showy and not singing enough. It's not metal.

It's not goddamned metal.

It's not. Metal.

It is... Not... Metal...

A lot of instrument-driven genres have this emphasis on virtuosity, and when we see them live, it's to see B.B. King play some fucking guitar, or Yngwie shred, or whoever that trumpet dude with the big lips was back in whenever. In vocally-oriented genres, we become unable to separate the voice from the person as an instrument. We want to see the person, not the voice being operated. Also, without a prop like an instrument, they can't move as much, especially given that excessive movement changes the quality of the voice so drastically.

You go, Beyonce. I bet your performance was awesome, and you're really hot.

I'm from Houston, Beyonce.

You know what that means, Beyonce?

You don't need some Yankee like Jay-Z, Beyonce.....

You know you want that Southern Chocolate, Beyonce....

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
The super harmony with the rest of destiny's child gave me chills. Such a sick halftime show. Way better then the last couple years.

8last

Reaction score
The halftime with beyonce was my cue to leave the room. Just can't get into it. Plus I find her irritating as shit

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
Bob Lefsetz said:
And you wonder why Adele is the biggest musical star in the world.
No dancing, just singing, what a concept!
I wasn’t sure what to do after Beyonce’s appearance, join a gym or masturbate. It was spectacle befitting the game, one could argue strongly it was more dynamic and exciting than the game. You had no desire to check your Twitter feed, all you could do was pay attention.
But how much did this have to do with music?
Who do we blame? Madonna? Who invented a new paradigm and then went for a victory lap wherein she dieted down to nothing and spent hours a day working out? Do you think Adele works out? Ha!
Beyonce made Madge look old. She proudly strutted her luscious thighs, in one fell swoop making a whole swath of America’s women feel good about themselves.
Yes, there was nothing wrong with Beyonce’s appearance.
But what was right?
Do we even care if she lip-synched?
This is pure commerce. Sponsored by Pepsi, as if Ms. Knowles has sipped the sugar water in years. The thought of her drinking Pepsi is akin to believing Alicia Keys uses a BlackBerry!
The show was an assault.
Blame the CD, where subtlety doesn’t sound good. Blame hip-hop, which is laden with attitude. But tonight’s performance was one big step back for music itself.
Then again, the Lumineers are bigger than Alicia Keys, and maybe even than Beyonce. And Mumford & Sons sold more records than both of them.
The major labels still haven’t gotten the memo. They believe if they just throw enough production at the public, people will be overwhelmed.
But what people want most is music. When done right, you need no dancing, no production other than amplification.
If you watched Beyonce tonight and thought about the music, you’re blind.
But credit the NFL. It finally entered the twenty first century.
But if you truly want to triumph at this sporting extravaganza., watch Prince’s performance He knew the music came first. Lead with the tunes, dazzle with your personality. Tonight’s performance had it backwards.
Said it much better than I could have.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
I wasn't that impressed with her SuperBowl Half-time show.

We have all seen better when it has comes to lights and what not (in my opinion at least).

The Who in my opinion had the best light show I have ever seen there... and Prince I really enjoyed when he did the half-time show. It was really, really good.

But regardless... I thought she sounded good singing wise and obviously she can dance very well and etc.

I was really, really hoping that Alicia Keys was going to come back out and belt it out or something.

')