Bias FX 2

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
New BIAS is out, and usual social media guitar demo simu-launch:

Loads of features, but still sounds so bad? Haven't heard Fluff sound so bad in a looong time!

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
ola sounded alright with it, but I still wouldn't waste my money on bias based off the other clips.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Does anyone actually use bias? Seems like it’s always had YouTube hype but it never translated to actual users, past people using the app for practice or because they can’t afford anything better. And even then, half the people using it seem to say “yeah it sounds bad but I use it anyway.”

There was that Bias head that I never saw anyone use, ever, as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Does anyone actually use bias? Seems like it’s always had YouTube hype but it never translated to actual users, past people using the app for practice or because they can’t afford anything better. And even then, half the people using it seem to say “yeah it sounds bad but I use it anyway.”

There was that Bias head that I never saw anyone use, ever, as well.

Everyone is making a commercial about Bias, and afterwards end up not using it in any situation. In my opinion even Ola can't get this thing to sound good.

I was really bummed when Epica started using Bias Heads, don't know if they still do. It was a huge downgrade in terms of tone from Dual Recto or Bogner Uberschall.

cyb

Tune Low Play Slow
Reaction score
Bias was terrible in my experience. They are very good at somehow getting enough money to throw at youtubers to hype their shitty products though.

Elric

Reaction score
I love Bias. It’s not my favorite amp sim but it is up there. I have a number of matches shot from my Axe III that are stellar.... It sounds better than my HX Stomp and Helix Native, IMHO.

People have issues with their marketing and pricing which I can understand but if you know how to work it (the PG workflow is a bit different I think) it’s a great product and this upgrade really is excellent.

Catalyst Collide

Reaction score
Haven't used the new one, didn't like the old one. I feel that it's a bit overpriced. TH3 (or THU) and Fortin NTS get my vote for best on the market.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I ever thought it sounded that bad. The tone matching and tone cloud are great ideas. Presets from other people 70-80% of the time sounded like shit though - way too loud, way too quiet, or some other weirdness for me. But if you did your own tone matches to album guitar stems, or a real amp, then it sounded great.

The problem is their business practice. Obviously they are straight-up paying Youtubers for promotion, but the constant paid add-ons, the lack of support etc. means I won't buy from them again. Especially frustrating when half the presets don't work because you didn't purchase extra expansion packs with whatever pedals or new amps.

Compared to NeuralDSP, who have products which sound *excellent*, and are also constantly releasing free updates with lots of features. They added a whole cab sim section to the Darkglass pedal, even though I'd happily paid for just the pedal more than a year ago. And they just added two new pedals to the Nameless Suite, along with a bunch of presets from Ola, Teemu and others. That's great support and it encourages me to buy from them in future, because I know that whatever I buy will get better. With Positive Grid, I know I'll be nickel-and-dimed for new features.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I liked Bias FX 1 as a replacement for my Line 6 POD Farm. Overall I could get some pretty good tones from FX1 but after I played some other amp sims I found they were more 'authentic/real' sounding than Bias FX.

I think what bothered me the most after comparing to other sims was Bias FX1 had a very unnatural low end attack to my ears.

I think Positive Grid did really well in the mobile market when they first came out, but everything they've been doing since has been lacking in comparison to the competition. It also seems like the mobile (phone) market completely disappeared.

I have yet to play Bias FX2 but I haven't seen anything that will make me want to try it again. FX1 was a resource hog and crashed way too often on me. Now that I've upgraded to Line 6 Helix Native I'm pretty sure Bias FX2 doesn't have a chance.

I would like to take this opportunity to share the only good bias fx 2 demo I've seen, and maybe its just because Lari Basilio is just a killer player that I like it, lol.

trem licking

Reaction score
Bias is the worst amp sim out there by far. HARSH highs and tough to dial in... Doesnt sound real at all haha

alright... I've gotta eat my own words here. Out of curiosity, i downloaded the demo of bias fx2... and holy shit they really did up their game finally! I've spent the last few hours trying out different tones and effects and this is WAY better than what it used to be. From this point on, i feel like i gotta quit hating on positive grid... at least in regards to the bias 2 software. As of now, I'd still recommend TH-U overall as an amp sim but this is now actually a viable option. should be even better once MIDI is implemented.

Catalyst Collide

Reaction score
Interesting - is the demo full featured for a limited time or does it do that annoying cut out every 30 seconds thing? I was just thinking about this the other night - I had heard a couple other demos and figured I would do the same as you did. I'm a TH3 user as well, if it can compare to that the big thing that Bias has in it's favor it community.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
alright... I've gotta eat my own words here. Out of curiosity, i downloaded the demo of bias fx2... and holy shit they really did up their game finally! I've spent the last few hours trying out different tones and effects and this is WAY better than what it used to be. From this point on, i feel like i gotta quit hating on positive grid... at least in regards to the bias 2 software. As of now, I'd still recommend TH-U overall as an amp sim but this is now actually a viable option. should be even better once MIDI is implemented.
You might even say you no longer have a bias

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the high gain tones can be rough and digital sounding. When I need a random tone I don't have all the gear for though, it is a good backup plan to have.

edit: also when i just wanna add some effects to my signal post recording

Last edited:

Catalyst Collide

Reaction score
Just tried to install the demo to see how it's been improved. Downloads and installs fine, but both the plug in and stand alone version get stuck on the loading screen with no interface and no option to do anything but quit. Sent a email to their help desk, but I have low expectations since I'm not a paying customer. I'm on a Mac running Yosemite by the way (logic is my DAW). If anyone stumbles across a fix, let me know. Haven't found one yet.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I really don't hear what everyone is talking about. I watched that Stevie T guy on a YouTube video titled BIAS vs AXE FX 2, so it's the older Bias and it sounds really good, and from what I heard the Axe2 doesn't sound $2,000 better for that tone. Is that video a lie or something then cause it says in the video there was no post processing etc. I don't see what is so shitty about the tone and for a couple hundred bucks certainly sounds better than stuff. What am I missing here?

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Depends if you can get that sound in your own room/setup though. I too was persuaded by bias to run an iPad rig but I never got any gain sounds I was happy with.