Big strandberg development...

• Thread starter dudeskin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

underthecurve

Reaction score
Oh my fuck. Should I cancel my S7 Boden order?

When did you put in your order? 7 or 8? There are slight differences in the 8s. Looks like you can't get an IPNP (those were being phased out anyway). The Washbodens will have a wenge neck as oppose to rosewood, and slanted instead of straight.....

InfinityAndThree

Reaction score
Strictly 7 will still be making them I believe. He said they're not stopping any current plans. So this will be in conjunction if I'm not mistaken. He did confirm that Washburn will be producing these new ones, so I'm absolutely stoked. That's my favorite guitar brand by far.

This has me confused. How can strictly 7 still be making them if Washburn are too? Do you mean strictly 7 will just produce the ones they are at the moment, and Washburn will cover all the other new models?

underthecurve

Reaction score
This has me confused. How can strictly 7 still be making them if Washburn are too? Do you mean strictly 7 will just produce the ones they are at the moment, and Washburn will cover all the other new models?

When Ola says this doesn't stop current plans, I think he means he will still make customs. It would make zero sense to have s7 still do production. Given that Allan and Paul used to work for s7 and now are partnered with Ola, methinks Ola is starting to distance himself from s7. Who could blame him?

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
Holy shit. Now I may not have to wait on the abysmally long wait list for a custom order. I want a Boden but the whole S7 thing is just...blegh.

vansinn

Reaction score
so instead of letting people buy into strandberg, he starts a joint venture...i am def confused by all of this :scratch:

Why? It makes perfect sense. Starting up larger scale production isn't all that simple; this way he can let others with production experience take care of the larger market, and keep on making his own ones for more select customers, while still get time for doing more development.

Smart guy Ola is :agreed: He's been working hard to get to this stage, and I wish him and the partners all the best of luck!

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
So if this means S7 is out and Washburn is in, then I'm placing an order the moment they are available.

Fuck that wait list:fawk:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Am I blind? It looks like the Masvidalien can only hold 3 springs. That's not a HUGE deal for me, but it seems strange. I'm used to dropping a 4th spring in my trem systems since I like a good amount of string tension.

When I played the Masvidalien I thought the trem felt quite stiff, and I'm used to 4 or 5 springs in my trems.

And I wouldn't worry about the CL7's pickup rings, as the production model won't have them and I can tell you looks all the better for it. Paul De Maio posted a picture of it on Facebook.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
If these actually hit production level status I'm definitely getting a Varberg 8. I'd love the prices to drop if they make them overseas at a Washburn factory. But Washburn and Ola will both be taking a cut, so I doubt we'd see too much savings.

BlackStar7

Lord Autumnbottom
Reaction score
It sounds like S7 is now officially out? From a picture comment on the AES Facebook page:
"We will be building these production series in alliance with Washburn Guitars USA out of their Chicago custom shop."

This is WAY neat. Approaching a 3k pricetag is kinda ouchy, but it's worth the premium to have Washburn building them instead of S7.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
so instead of letting people buy into strandberg, he starts a joint venture...i am def confused by all of this :scratch:

This is much better. Keeps the Strandberg name more exclusive to extremely high-end.

I hope S7 doesn't make them anymore. I might buy one. As much as I despise Washburn, when U.S. Music bought Parker and the Parker CS guys started building Washburn CS models have been amazing.

Also hope he releases a sixer!

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
Why? It makes perfect sense. Starting up larger scale production isn't all that simple; this way he can let others with production experience take care of the larger market, and keep on making his own ones for more select customers, while still get time for doing more development.

i just dont get the creation of this joint venture,(im referring to the creation of astral, not partnering with washburn, that i get) if this isn't even the company producing the guitars. why would it not be under the strandberg umbrella and just partner with people in that own entity.

LoopQuantum

Reaction score
Well, I hate you SS.org.

I hate you.

Buying a Varberg now. I have had awesome experiences with the Washburn custom shop. When they built my N7, they sent me pictures of necks and bodies to choose from, built mine CRAZY fast, and the customer service was amazing.

So yeah. Buying a Varberg 6.

Dammit.

Damn all of you.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I love that if you pay via PayPal or with a credit card, they expect you to pay the fees...? :rofl: THAT seems uber professional, especially since this is not "Strandberg" acting as a small builder, but supposed to be that of a "joint venture/small company" here. Last time I checked, most businesses roll the transactional fee when they RECEIVE money into what's known as "cost of doing business" ... just sayin'... :lol: ;)

More power to them if that's how they wish to roll, it just really means if you're not paying them via bank wire, the price on the Boden 7 is not $2750, it's actually $2832.50, or for the Boden 8 it's not $2850, it's $2935. :shrug: If they're doing stuff like charging you to pay with a CC/PayPal, does that mean shipping is not included in price listed either? :scratch: Seems a little strange to me personally to run your business that way, but whatever. :lol:

I hope this goes better than the S7-produced Boden stuff did, that's for sure. It would be cool to see production Strandbergs out there free of defects so the lower price/minimal wait actually makes sense if you want one and you're not buying one built by Ola himself. :yesway:

dudeskin

Reaction score
can i just say that i actually have a S7 built Boden 8, and all this crap about peoples opinions on S7 and the involvement they have with the strandberg production series is shit and based (albeit most not all) on hearsay and internet chat. unless you have had a boden from S7 you cannot comment.

in my opinion.

im stoked for this, i personally take a view that this will not be the only thing coming from them and this new venture. specially with mike fortin involved. i see a new line of guitars and amps coming.

underthecurve

Reaction score
can i just say that i actually have a S7 built Boden 8, and all this crap about peoples opinions on S7 and the involvement they have with the strandberg production series is shit and based (albeit most not all) on hearsay and internet chat. unless you have had a boden from S7 you cannot comment.

in my opinion.

im stoked for this, i personally take a view that this will not be the only thing coming from them and this new venture. specially with mike fortin involved. i see a new line of guitars and amps coming.

Well.... I was part of the first boden 8 build, and it came out less than stellar. Instead of bitching on the internet, I voiced my concerns to Ola and s7, and they offered a rebuild. Another forum member here had to have his finish sorted and some fret work.
That you were happy with your build, and myself and a few others weren't %100 satisfied is a testament to s7's poor quality control. They are fully capable of building awesome guitars, just not consistently.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Ola should dump S7, or at least not give them more orders than they can handle. I paid my roughly $1400 deposit for my Boden 7 in Nov and was told Feb completion. In January Jim was asking that it would really help him out if I could pay the final $1400 to help him out. I didnt do it as I dont feel comfortable paying for a custom guitar until its finished. So 3 weeks ago he emails me saying its approaching completion and feel free to send in payment at any time. I didnt do it. Then he kindly says a week later that they are projecting to ship out Mon or Tues of last week, so I send him my final payment and my guitar is now fully paid for. I still dont have my guitar, I still havent received any shipment or updated info, I have emailed Jim twice and gotten no response.

Waiting is OK by me, but Im not OK with paying in full for a guitar before its done and ready to ship. Big lesson learned. Thing is, I only paid cause he had said it was "almost" done and will ship next week. So, next time, "almost" done isnt gonna be the key word for me, its gonna need to be "is" done.

Strictly 7 has proved that they cant keep up. Ola is doing what is necessary and the smart thing for him to do which is expand and get people guitars fast.

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
I love that if you pay via PayPal or with a credit card, they expect you to pay the fees...? :rofl: THAT seems uber professional, especially since this is not "Strandberg" acting as a small builder, but supposed to be that of a "joint venture/small company" here. Last time I checked, most businesses roll the transactional fee when they RECEIVE money into what's known as "cost of doing business" ... just sayin'... :lol: ;)

More power to them if that's how they wish to roll, it just really means if you're not paying them via bank wire, the price on the Boden 7 is not $2750, it's actually $2832.50, or for the Boden 8 it's not $2850, it's $2935. :shrug: If they're doing stuff like charging you to pay with a CC/PayPal, does that mean shipping is not included in price listed either? :scratch: Seems a little strange to me personally to run your business that way, but whatever. :lol:

I hope this goes better than the S7-produced Boden stuff did, that's for sure. It would be cool to see production Strandbergs out there free of defects so the lower price/minimal wait actually makes sense if you want one and you're not buying one built by Ola himself. :yesway:

Yeah, I did find that a bit strange, but doing a bank wire transfer isn't really too much of a hassle. I just don't understand why they wouldn't cover the CC/Paypal fees... :scratch:

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
unless you have had a boden from S7 you cannot comment.

Woah my bad dude, I didn't realize you had to own a given guitar to identify glaring issues with it.

:rofl:

Good on you for having one that is evidently free of defects, but your opinion holds about as much water as the nonsense Letchford was spouting prior to things hitting the fan with S7G. There have been QC issues with S7G's Bodens. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

I'm quite excited by this :agreed: Looking forward to more options coming down the line and maybe ordering a production model! Still not sure how I feel about the Endurneck though... Maybe this'll give Ola an opportunity to get some hands-on marketing going.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
This is a great move, I am much more comfortable buying a production .strandberg* made by Washburn than S7. :yesway:

')