Biggest/ Thickest 5150?

• Thread starter Rossness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rossness

D A D F# A E
Reaction score
What version of a 5150 is closest to a SLO? We’re talking, big/fat/thick/ oversaturated tones. When I play my 5153 50 watt, it seems to have lots of high end and high end cut. Is there a version that has more low end, and less cutting highs? Something thats big, mean and powerful. Could be EVH or Peavey or something else. Just wondering??

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
A Soldano or a 5150 isn't what comes to my mind when I hear the words thick tone tbh. The 5150 has more gain and saturation than a Soldano lol. Every 5150 variant sounds pretty similar and 5150ish if that makes sense. The older ones are more aggressive tho.

If you want something thick and fat for metal get an Orange Rockerverb or Diezel or a Mesa Recto+a boost. You could also get something Model T or an Ampeg V4 and some pedals cuz those get really thick and gnarly if you dial them in right. Idk what speakers you're using in your cab but a 4x12 with something like EVM12Ls will give you way more low end than something like V30s.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The OG block letter
If you turn down the presence and treble and up the bass on crunch channel. But i wouldnt call it a SLO there either.

OP should try turning off presence and treble and see if thats ballpark. If too dark, add each in gradually.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've played a 6505+ and I've never tried the Stealth, but I currently own a 50w 5153 6l6 and a regular Peavey 5150. The OG definitely has more bottom end and is more lower mid-focused than the EVH, especially on the green channel. Never tried an SLO to refer to, though.

That said, I can still dial in the EVH to be quite close to the Peavey with different-looking settings. The presence comes on a lot faster on the EVH, so I generally keep it around 3 or 4 depending on my treble setting and cabinet. Try to find a balance between the smoothness of lower treble/presence settings and maybe more mids to add back a different type brightness/focus.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah, the OG Peavey 5150 is the biggest sounding. All 5150 variants have kind of gotten tighter and more cutting over time.

That being said, none of them are a SLO.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
The old block and sig Peavey 5150 is the biggest sounding one followed by the EVH 5150III Stealth. The Stealth has that extra bottom end and looser feel that is close to the old 5150.

But I think you are looking for a Mesa Triple Rectifier. :agreed:

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
For more low end, go 100 watt. That's probably why people are suggesting the Peaveys since those are 100.

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
I definitely don't think "big and thick" when it comes to 5150s or Soldano. If I were trying to cop a big and thick sound with something similar preamp wise to 5150 or SLO it would have to be a Rectifier.

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
Resonance knob on a 5150 brings the beef, its why its there.
It does, and I keep mine pretty high at home volume to get more feel from the cab. But I still don't think big and thick, subjective as fuck, but I find them to still be a very cutting sounding amp. Not quite Marshall, but certainly not as big and thick sounding as a Recto or Orange. Two very different sounds, but both really low mid and bass heavy circuits.

We've all beat it to death with tone descriptions, and everyone's opinion is right in their own ways.

Rossness

D A D F# A E
Reaction score
So, right now, I really don’t love my 5153. Im using it as a poweramp in conjunction with a Synergy (syn-2) system. The SLO is my fav Synergy preamp. And when I get the chance to play the actual SLO 100 head, I pretty much dime the gain/bass/mids, I put the treble pretty low and use the presence knob almost like it’s my Treble.

I had heard the 5150 series was originally based of Ed’s Soldano, yet every one I play, the sound seems to get thinner and thinner.

I might be at the point where its time to replace the 5150.

Oh and as previouslly asked, I have 2 cabs. One is a 4x12 EVH cab with the EVH creamback speakers, and the other is a Mesa 2x12 recto cab with V30’s.

Shask

Reaction score
So, right now, I really don’t love my 5153. Im using it as a poweramp in conjunction with a Synergy (syn-2) system. The SLO is my fav Synergy preamp. And when I get the chance to play the actual SLO 100 head, I pretty much dime the gain/bass/mids, I put the treble pretty low and use the presence knob almost like it’s my Treble.

I had heard the 5150 series was originally based of Ed’s Soldano, yet every one I play, the sound seems to get thinner and thinner.

I might be at the point where its time to replace the 5150.

Oh and as previouslly asked, I have 2 cabs. One is a 4x12 EVH cab with the EVH creamback speakers, and the other is a Mesa 2x12 recto cab with V30’s.
Sounds like you would be better off buying something like a Freyette 2/502 or 2/90/2 to go with your Syn-2.

Shask

Reaction score
Sounds like you want a Recto tbh lol

EDIT: But yeah the 5150 was definitely influenced by Ed's love of the SLO but at the same time it's definitely it's own beast. Also if you love the Synergy so much why not just use it with a dedicated power amp?
The 5150 is kind of like a SLO with another tube stage in front of it that acts like a Tubescreamer / Treble Booster. That is why the 5150 has so much more gain than an SLO or Recto.

Necky379

Reaction score
That’s my take as well. The OG version is what you want and it’s all about the cab.
…big/fat/thick/ oversaturated tones….. Is there a version that has more low end,… and less cutting highs? Something thats big, mean and powerful.
Turn the resonance and Pre knob up through a recto cab, don’t be afraid of settings that looked scooped. Both channels have a lot of midrange, with that cab you can turn the mids down and raise Res and Pres knobs. Around 8 on the Pres dial it gets more aggressive and cutting.

The II/+ models are killer but are more focused, the green channel is way tamer for more classic tones and good for fat leads with the gain up.

The 50 watt III’s sound cleaner like the usual eq corrections are baked into the cake. They sound awesome but they’re missing all the extra of the first one. I’ve never tried the other Fender/EVH’s but I really want to try the Stealth versions.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You may try one of those too!

Latest posts

')