Bill Fitzmaurice XF2x12 Build

espec1000

Reaction score
After searching around for a new cab and trying to decide between all these different brands, I decided to go the 'Do-it-yourself' route and build a Bill Fitzmaurice XF2x12.

If you're not sure who Bill Fitzmaurice is, he's a speaker cabinet builder for music, home theatre, PA, and a bunch of other stuff. This guy is a genius when it comes to building the perfect cab. Here is a breakdown of what the XF 2x12 is all about (taken from the site):

"Electric guitar speakers are intended to be loud, yet most of them share an incongruous common trait: you can’t hear them. To be more exact, you can’t hear the mids and highs unless you’re directly in front of them- and sitting on the floor. That's because guitar cabs have very narrow dispersion in the mid and high frequencies. To compound matters they’re usually placed on the floor just a few feet in back of the player, so those directional frequencies pass around knee level. Even worse, to ‘look right’ beneath an amplifier that’s 20 to 24 inches wide, dual driver cabs place their drivers horizontally. This narrows the horizontal dispersion angle even more, and causes comb filtering in the highs. In an audio engineering course on how not to build a speaker the typical electric guitar cabinet would be around the top of the list.
The simple solution is to vertically array the drivers, which would widen horizontal dispersion, eliminate combing and put the source closer to the player’s ear level, but the resulting tall, thin cabinet would ‘look funny’ with the amplifier overhanging both sides. Guitar players themselves have never had a problem with looking funny, but they do draw the line when it comes to how their gear looks. Enter Plan ‘B’: the cross-firing XF guitar speaker."

Basically the idea is to build a baffled speaker cabinet so the speakers project in towards each other (cross-fire inward) and a rear tilt of 15 degrees for projection.

I'm going to post some picture of the progress and then maybe a little video of me demoing it when I'm done :)

Materials:
1/2 " Baltic Birch: Yes
2 12" Eminence Swamp Thangs (16ohm): Yes
Tools and junk: Yes

Wish me luck!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Good Luck!

Increasingly of late I've been trying to collect plans and examine theories for cabinet construction so I shall definitely be watching your progress with a keen eye to doing something similar - possibly an XF2x12" cabinet wired in stereo for use with a modeller + power amp.

Thanks for the heads-up about Mr Fitzmaurice :)

espec1000

Reaction score
No problem! That's a cool idea about doing the stereo set up. You can't go wrong with going the XF2x12 route. You can purchase the plans from him which include a very well written set of building instructions, even instructions for specific types of tools you may be using. It also comes with viewing software of the cab which lets you look all around it, inside it, you name it. I can't say anything for the sound yet, but based on the frequency charts that he posted, and reviews of other builders, this is going to be one amazing sounding speaker cab! Pictures soon :)

speedyone

Addicted 2 Dat Shred
Reaction score
Hi, I know this thread is old, but I'm bumping to see if anyone else has built/heard an xf 212.

What did you think of the sound?

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Tried that, but his page looks so old-school. I don't know if he still
sells them. That was my initial question. Haven't found anything yet.

There are links to forums and email on his website. You are far more likely to get an answer through either of those than a three year old thread here.

houseall

Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but I'm bumping to see if anyone else has built/heard an xf 212
11.gif

Latest posts

')