Bill Lawrence L-500's

• Thread starter j7899
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nah, no response. I'll call tomorrow. ;)

ohmanthisiscool

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
This is the pickup I have been waiting for. I said to myself " I wish they made a dimebucker or bill lawrence for 7 strings" Wish aparrently grated

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
SevenatoR said:
Anybody taking the plunge on these yet? I think I'm gonna...

Yup, this Friday. According to the website the L500 has 4 options, one being the L500xl. If they have it in a 7 string I'm getting 2, one for Dorki and Donni a piece. I'll be sure to post clips before I install the second to compare it to the Blaze.

I just came from GC last Friday to play the Dean Dimebag Signature model which has the 6 string L500xl, just to be sure, and the tone, literally, almost bought tears.

This pickup has a cut through ability that is almost scary, and while you do (or at least I do) have to work on your technique to keep the fast notes from being too squeaky, its so fun to play I look forward to the metronome time.

Short story: the first time I tried to get a Bill Lawrence pickup, I was a little kid, i was jamming to Matthias Jabs, George Lynch, and Demartini, all 3 at one time or another used the Bill Lawrence (thinking Lynch here really, since Matthias and Warren, to my knowledge, still use the pickup). I hadn't even heard of Dimebag yet, although I recognized that sound INSTANTLY when I heard "Cemetary Gates"...., and then heard it again when Bettencourt made the rounds.

They guy at the little mom and pop shop I went too (Guitar Exchange i think), told me that "the Bill Lawrence was not a happening pickup" and tried to suggest something else, like a fool kid, I went with it (it was a pj something or other...piece of shit pickup)...

I denied myself then, I won't be denied now.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
I just called Bill Lawrence myself and spoke to Becky. She said they have a limited number of bridge pickups left and they are $62 to buy.

What confuses me is that Becky said that the pickup does not follow the sizing of the Ibanez or Dimarzio 7 string pickups and it;s the size of a Gibson humbucker ... ? Can anyone comment on this?

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I just called Bill Lawrence myself and spoke to Becky. She said they have a limited number of bridge pickups left and they are $62 to buy.

What confuses me is that Becky said that the pickup does not follow the sizing of the Ibanez or Dimarzio 7 string pickups and it;s the size of a Gibson humbucker ... ? Can anyone comment on this?

Wasn't there another thread about this? I thought the deal was that Bill simply extended the length of the rails to the ends of the regular-sized bobbins, so that they would be long enough to reach all seven strings. They looked pretty crappy from the picture I saw, and of course they wouldn't fit in any regular 7-string pickup rout.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score

Way to bump a YEAR OLD THREAD! :rolleyes: :squint:

They've been released. No one bought them, because they were a lazy, cheap-ass quick fix to the problem. Its a standard, SIX string bobbin with extended rails to cover all seven strings, and a retarded pickup surround you have to install in the guitar so it is centred properly.

Hoping to cash in on seven string players, Bill obviously didn't stop and think that the majority of us are Ibanez players without pikcup surrounds.

And regardless, we don't want a lazy solution to the problem. Pull your finger out. :squint:

This annoyed the hell out of me - done properly, they would have had a large number of sales, I was originally going to buy some.

Not now! :)

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I found another thread on the forum and some stuff on jemsite about the whole episode - shady.

The whole reason I was looking at these is that I have a Jackson JDR-94 and it has a "rails" humbucker on it that I absolutely love and I "believe" is based on a Bill Lawrence L500. So I thought I'd see if I could get one for my Schecter C7 Blackjack. Seeing as it's clearly not going to happen, I expect to be turning up in this part of the forum researching and asking about the Dimarzio D Sonic DP706 and X2N 7.

Thanks for the replies anyway folks.

')