Bill Nye Booed in Waco for pointing out Moon reflects the Sun

• Thread starter Samer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I think anyone who thinks they know what happens after we die is arrogant.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Good point JJ

I can respect peoples faith but I can't stand them going around saying it's fact.

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
All this is from a poor understanding of hebrew and a sorry translation of the bible in english.

The bible refers to the sun and moon as m'orah "luminary objects". This means that they both show light. It doesnt matter one bit whether its created or reflected light. The word only means that it is a lighted body no matter the origin of said light. Its only through the english word "light" that we get this impression that the bible implies that the moon creates its own light.

I find the whole controversy laughable. Bill needs to learn his hebrew and the audience should have not over-reacted. Being a science guy though, you think he would have done empirical research into what he was going to speak on. Probably didnt even cross his mind to look up the verse in the original. The bible wasnt written in english.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
I find the whole controversy laughable. Bill needs to learn his hebrew and the audience should have not over-reacted. Being a science guy though, you think he would have done empirical research into what he was going to speak on. Probably didnt even cross his mind to look up the verse in the original. The bible wasnt written in english.

i don't think Bill even realized what he had said. i mean, speaking for myself, until now i never even knew that the bible said anything about the moon, or it being a light source, or whatever. scientists tend to not bother "researching" from the bible. it's just not a good, solid source of information. period.

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
i don't think Bill even realized what he had said. i mean, speaking for myself, until now i never even knew that the bible said anything about the moon, or it being a light source, or whatever. scientists tend to not bother "researching" from the bible. it's just not a good, solid source of information. period.

Yeah he may not have. Im just going by what the article said. For anyone who wasnt there its just speculation if he meant it the way the people took it.

Well if a scientist is going to quote any book, he should know what he's talking about and what the book says specifically. Especially if it might possibly be a point of contention. That was my only point. Knowing Hebrew as I do it was just easy to conclude that probably Bill nor earlier posters knew the bible does not say that the moon "emits" light. Though the english translation might give that implication.

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score
I think anyone who thinks they know what happens after we die is arrogant.

Good point JJ

I can respect peoples faith but I can't stand them going around saying it's fact.
:agreed:

I'm totally with you here. Belief can be a good think, but absolute certainty about things which cannot be verified is, well, insane.

')