Bioshock Infinite

• Thread starter vampiregenocide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
So... fucking... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! AAAAARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH *splodes everywhere*

God damn it's good.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mendez

Reaction score
Just bought it for my brother, I will play it when he's off at school though. Saw a bit of the gameplay and so far it looked great, I really like that the main character talks and has his own personality already. Getting a lil tired of the silent hero.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Will wait until cheaper. If I hadn't already had the bonus games from Steam pre-order I would have hit it up early.

Reaction score
When it drops to about 40-35 range, I'll scoop it. The graphics look crisp, the gun play looks tight. The setting in a few clips reminded of the Vegas Strip in Fallout: New Vegas, except much more defined. Game looks sick so far and it's getting extremely high praise.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm about an hour into it and it feels different from 1/2 but still in the Bioshock family. The music is hilarious as its all barbershop quartets and the environments look great. Requires some suspension of disbelief moreso than the originals what with the logistics of a floating city in the early 1900s but its a video game, who cares

wankerness

Reaction score
Finished Bioshock Infinite. The gameplay is fun and I loved it until the last 25 minutes or so when it really got annoying with the ridiculous plot. The first one had too much unskippable dialogue by the end but it was nothing compared to the last 25 minutes of this game. I will give it points for audacity but it's sort of like something that would have been created by the writers of LOST.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION FOR THOSE WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT SPOILERS:

Your character and the main villain are the same person in different multiverses. The entire game is spent learning about this concept and it leads up to a finale where you get drowned at the moment of your baptism (one of the only CONSTANTS in the multiverse) by several different versions of your daughter, Elizabeth and thus both your character in the game and the bad guy never exist. So, yeah, I'm sure it's going to receive tons of rage from people that don't fully understand the game's plot and go "WTF WUT ABOUT DA UNIVERSES WHERE HE DOESN'T EVEN GET BAPTIZED" and then plenty more MEHs from people like me who are just like "oh jesus why does it have to be so complicated?!"

Gameplaywise, not much to complain about. They did away with the first aid kits and syringes from the original and kept the dual wielding powers/weapons from 2, now combat's a little more interesting cause you have to actually watch your health. Your only real means of healing other than picking stuff up is hoping your companion feeds you a health pack right before you die, but that tends to only happen once a "battle" (the game's set up with you having to fight off around 20 guys at a time usually that all sort of attack together as opposed to 1/2 where it was just random dudes all over the levels). She can also port in a bunch of health packs in some fights, but these "nodes" for stuff she can teleport in are all preordained and many combat areas don't have them. Oh, and there's some item you can get that heals you if you do a melee finisher on a guy to kill them, but the further you get into the game the less frequently you really get the chance to do those.

The plasmids are now called vigors and they bothered to try and come up with mostly new ones, the only ones that really felt like they had been done before were the hypnotize one and the standard electro-bolt. The lifting one (bronco?) and the one that can pull 3 enemies to you from great range when upgraded (leviathan I think it was called) and then the upgraded version of the fire grenades were what I used most of the time. The charge one probably has potential but I never really screwed around with it, same with the shield one. I have heard that on xbox you are stuck setting two of them to favorites and having to pause the game to select others, on PC all of them are hotkeyed with the numbers, so if you're on console it sounds like it might be a pain in the ass.

There are way too many guns considering how little variety they have. They're all pretty bland and function about how you'd expect. I mainly used the shotgun, machine gun, and "volley gun" with the sniper where applicable. Only being able to carry 2 ala Duke Nukem Forever was somewhat annoying, but at least you still keep all the ammo. That made me not really test out half the weapons late in the game since the early weapons were all fully upgraded by that point and it was too risky to go into combat without two weapons you know aren't terrible.

Enemies are blander than they are in the original IMO, but since you're fighting lots of them at once you don't really notice cause combat is so frenetic. The last battle in particular is great. I like the way you can jump onto the rails during the fight and then really quickly line up an aerial attack and instantly kill weak enemies, it sorta reminds me of the combat in Batman: Arkham City in that regard.

So yeah. Good game, but I went out of my way to explore everything I could find and still finished it in about 11 hours so it's kinda short for a 60 dollar game. I don't regret buying it, though. Very beautiful graphics on PC and it came with bioshock 1, XCOM and Civ 5 all for 46 bucks so hey. :p

wankerness

Reaction score
Well, the reviews are pouring in. After 40 reviews, it has a score of 96 on Metacritic, which is pretty damn glowing.

Apparently "the twist" in this game makes the "would you kindly" moment in Bioshock pale by comparison. I'm anxious to know what it is (I still don't).

I'm not really sure what this would be referring to, there weren't really any huge twist moments until the very end of the game IMO. There are plenty of exciting plot developments and whatnot but nothing like that I don't think.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Requires some suspension of disbelief moreso than the originals what with the logistics of a floating city in the early 1900s but its a video game, who cares

I'm still trying to work around this I think. Obviously Rapture wasn't based in reality, but there was something about submerging into an undersea city that felt...oddly plausible. Meanwhile, they haven't been as forthcoming with the history and purpose of Columbia, so I'm still running around wondering, "what the hell is all of this? Why is this here? Where did it come from?" I'm assuming it will all be laid out eventually (I'm only 2 or 3 hours in), but the less prominent backstory combined with how bright and cheerful Columbia appears has formed the basis for a world quite far removed from the dark, macabre atmosphere of Rapture.

These are my very early thoughts so far. Keep in mind I'm an explorer anytime a game allows it, and since Columbia is much larger and more "open" feeling than Rapture was, I'm enjoying checking out nooks and crannies. In the 2 or 3 hours I've spent so far, I'm not far beyond the initial "uprising" that takes place when they catch you at the fair. The last thing I remember doing before saying to myself, "oh fuck, it's 5 am and I have to work tomorrow," was killing the Crow-man-thing and taking his ravenous crows vigor.

It's definitely different from the first two, but I'm completely absorbed so far. The gunplay is fucking top-notch.

My one real hang-up so far: I play on PC, and as beautiful as the graphics are, the technical performance is lacking. I have a beefy ass rig that can run Crysis and BF3 cranked up to max, and while I can turn this up as well, my FPS fluctuates dramatically from 30 to 80 depending on what I'm looking at. On top of that, turning on Vertical Sync (what they call "lock framerate") creates a MASSIVE hit in frames per second. All of this with the Unreal Engine 3, which is pushing the line of becoming downright outdated, as good as it can still look. I mean shit, I can play UT3 with everything maxed out and get a stable 80 fps. This is the first and only game I've played so far where DX11 effects seem to bog down your entire system. :scratch:

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
Started it up this morning, began fiddling with graphics and control settings then had to poop. That's where I am right now, get with the program colon I've been hanging to play this all week.

pink freud

Reaction score
Started it up this morning, began fiddling with graphics and control settings then had to poop. That's where I am right now, get with the program colon I've been hanging to play this all week.

If there isn't a "Posting while pooping" bachelor frog there damn well needs to be.

wankerness

Reaction score
I'm still trying to work around this I think. Obviously Rapture wasn't based in reality, but there was something about submerging into an undersea city that felt...oddly plausible. Meanwhile, they haven't been as forthcoming with the history and purpose of Columbia, so I'm still running around wondering, "what the hell is all of this? Why is this here? Where did it come from?" I'm assuming it will all be laid out eventually (I'm only 2 or 3 hours in), but the less prominent backstory combined with how bright and cheerful Columbia appears has formed the basis for a world quite far removed from the dark, macabre atmosphere of Rapture.

These are my very early thoughts so far. Keep in mind I'm an explorer anytime a game allows it, and since Columbia is much larger and more "open" feeling than Rapture was, I'm enjoying checking out nooks and crannies. In the 2 or 3 hours I've spent so far, I'm not far beyond the initial "uprising" that takes place when they catch you at the fair. The last thing I remember doing before saying to myself, "oh fuck, it's 5 am and I have to work tomorrow," was killing the Crow-man-thing and taking his ravenous crows vigor.

It's definitely different from the first two, but I'm completely absorbed so far. The gunplay is fucking top-notch.

My one real hang-up so far: I play on PC, and as beautiful as the graphics are, the technical performance is lacking. I have a beefy ass rig that can run Crysis and BF3 cranked up to max, and while I can turn this up as well, my FPS fluctuates dramatically from 30 to 80 depending on what I'm looking at. On top of that, turning on Vertical Sync (what they call "lock framerate") creates a MASSIVE hit in frames per second. All of this with the Unreal Engine 3, which is pushing the line of becoming downright outdated, as good as it can still look. I mean shit, I can play UT3 with everything maxed out and get a stable 80 fps. This is the first and only game I've played so far where DX11 effects seem to bog down your entire system. :scratch:

I had Bioshock Infinite on "high," with everything else left to default and the res at 1920x1080, I didn't try past that, I'm not really even sure if I was using DX10 or 11 (I have a pretty new comp and usually use DX11 when available but was in too much of a hurry to play this game to spend time in the options menu). I sorta noticed fluctuations but the only part of the game that was really pretty bad framerate-wise is when you have to fight the zeppelin about halfway through (you have to take a rail around the back of it and then escape after it blows up). The huge open area combined with the gigantic complex object spamming me with missile volleys made my framerate plummet :( Other than that it sounds like something might have been weird with your drivers or something cause i DOUBT my computer's much better than yours! :p

Pav

???
Reaction score
Ahhh good call on the drivers. I thought it was odd, the one moment that killed my framerate was at the absolute beginning of the game. You were dropped off at the lighthouse and when you open the door and first enter, there's a lamp on a small table right in front of you. Looking directly at the lighting effects of the lamp made my framerate plummet from 80 to 20. Looking around large open areas doesn't do much, neither does having numerous people/enemies on screen at once. Turns out there was a driver update three days ago so I'll install that and see how it runs. :D

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Beat it last night on Medium/Normal and ended with 32/50 achievements since I didn't use all of the guns.

Ending = boner city (IMO anyways)

Reaction score
Ahhh good call on the drivers. I thought it was odd, the one moment that killed my framerate was at the absolute beginning of the game. You were dropped off at the lighthouse and when you open the door and first enter, there's a lamp on a small table right in front of you. Looking directly at the lighting effects of the lamp made my framerate plummet from 80 to 20. Looking around large open areas doesn't do much, neither does having numerous people/enemies on screen at once. Turns out there was a driver update three days ago so I'll install that and see how it runs. :D
I downloaded some nVidia drivers before playing the game that supposedly improved the game's performance, but I got those same frame drops you did at the spot you're describing. I found that particularly annoying, but it didn't really bog down the experience overall.

I finished the game yesterday and it's really one of the first times that a game has made me think for so long after finishing it. I had to look online to get an understanding of what happened at the end because the ending as a whole was pretty overwhelming IMO. I think I have a pretty decent understanding of it now. Can't wait for the DLC to see if it advances the plot further or explains the events in more detail.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Just finished it and my brain is full of wtf.
The Luteces are insane - all the "don't pick #77, flip a coin, does he row?" stuff from earlier in the game makes far more sense with the multiverse - you are their plan to un-fuck the cosmos - stuff, but still, argh, multiverse wtf. I need to play it again, now.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I actually loved the Luteces and their ...quirks to be honest. I expected Elizabeth to be their child and all the experiments they were doing affected her genes hence why she could open tears; which is actually never explained now that I think of it.

The one thing that DOES annoy me (or perhaps make me go "Really?" is the idea that right after he gets the notice saying "Don't bet on #77" he pulls it on the first one and sticks with it. Like, he doesn't even remember or think about the note at all and is just like "Yeah, this one seems right."

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
I actually loved the Luteces and their ...quirks to be honest. I expected Elizabeth to be their child and all the experiments they were doing affected her genes hence why she could open tears; which is actually never explained now that I think of it.

The one thing that DOES annoy me (or perhaps make me go "Really?" is the idea that right after he gets the notice saying "Don't bet on #77" he pulls it on the first one and sticks with it. Like, he doesn't even remember or think about the note at all and is just like "Yeah, this one seems right."

I just put this one together now regarding the tear ability. I'm replaying the game on 1999 mode 'cause I'm a sucker for punishment, and I've just got to Monument Island. There's a voxophone you find just before you crash through the ceiling from Rosalind Lutece - it essentially goes "it's not what she is, but what she is not. Some small part of her remains where she is from. Apparently the universe doesn't like that." That small part of her is her little finger, from where Booker tries to grab her back off the Luteces and Comstock (in the ending sequence, circa 1894ish). Being physically in two universes at the same time = PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER?

Orsinium

Reaction score
I also finished it the story, setting, and technical aspects of the game are all stellar but god damn the gameplay gets pretty bland. This game would be the best game ever if they made the enemies more interesting and gave you powers and guns that actually did something. Also return to sender breaks the game so don't use it if you want somewhat of a challenge. Anyways if you are a fan of a great story, graphics, even sound (I was very impressed with the sound in this game the barbershop beach boys at the beginning was great) pick this up but don't expect too much gameplay wise.

EDIT: Also this is just my opinion so don't neg reg me! But there are definitely better shooters out there.

')