Bittersweet "N"GD- JP12- BaliBurst

• Thread starter SomeGuy97
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
Where to begin...Well the first problem was probably that I bought it from Guitar Center.

I completely bought this on a whim. I already had a MINT JP12-7 that I LOVED, but was shocked that I found one in BaliBurst as I assumed those were pretty much all already gone. Someone on the music man forums led me to the Guitar Center in Sugarland, TX. Called them up, confirmed everything, boom- it's mine.
I'm very picky so I asked "is this a floor model that's been sitting there awhile, played to death with all sorts of smudges/knicks/scrapes/etc.?" They assured me "No- in fact we had it in the box for a long time and then just took it out last week again so it's been on 'the floor'/case for less than a week now." I said OK- but just so you know if there are any dents, scrapes, anything wrong with it I am going to send it back. Assured me up and down there was nothing wrong with it. We'll all have a laugh about that later....
Secondly I said- Now I saw a picture of this exact one on the forum and it looks more like a flame, but it's suppose to be a QUILT finish- is it the picture? Was that the wrong guitar? She told me yes- this is DEFINITELY a quilt and you can see it. I said OK, because on the original BFR's Quilts were like $200+ more than the flames so I didn't want to be paying the same amount for a flame. I didn't worry too much because I figured these were special one-offs just for GC from Music Man so they were all quilts anyway- there was never a flame/quilt option.
Guitar Center was running a promotion at the time (still is I think) where you randomly get 10-20% off your purchase. So I thought sweet, I'll get a decent deal- NOPE. Apparently they had this marked as some kind of clearance special so no dice on that. When she told me the price I said that was MORE than what the price was back in April when someone posted the price on the forum. She said yeah...the price went back up at some point after that...and then now down again. :scratch: So they gave me free shipping and rounded the final price down a few bucks. Basically I didn't get any kind of deal- it ended up being more than I had anticipated even with the 'discounts' they were giving me. On to the pictures, then I'll tell you where we're at regarding this guitar.....

Very first thing I noticed out of the box- Ding on the headstock. SWEET. I only looked over this guitar for 3 minutes and found all of this. I haven't even had time yet to spend going over the whole thing or even trying plugging it in:

Flip it over to the back- BOOM- chunk of paint missing all the way down to the wood- matches the front almost perfectly:

I don't know what kind of scrapes/scratches these are on the fretboard- but I couldn't get them off:

And checkout this sweeeeeeeeeeet Quilt finish:

If anyone sees any quilt in there, let me know. The strings were DISGUSTING. They didn't even take the time to restring or clean the guitar...even after they told me they did. They didn't even put any kind of packaging/plastic over the guitar in the case. Just threw it in there and left it to chance. So now they're swearing up and down it was in perfect condition when it left :rolleyes:
They were going to try to offer me "a few bills of in store credit" to which I declined because what am I going to do with in store credit? I work at a music store and don't need hundreds of dollars worth of strings, straps, and misc. crap. I said I wanted either a partial refund because I feel like I was taken, or a GC gift card (something tangible I could sell unlike in store credit), or just a full refund and I'd send the guitar back.
And that's where we're at now. Waiting to hear back from them today. To their credit they are trying to make this better and the girl genuinely seems bummed/disappointed and is working to help me out. But regardless, still a very disappoint "New" Guitar Day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
damn dude, hate to read all that. Sometimes in life, folks suck. Love the color & if you can get enough off of it, I'd keep it.

Meddl

Reaction score
this makes me sad. if i were you i'd send the guitar back... hope you will have a "real" NGD soon. keep your head up, dude! :)

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
That's incredibly shitty man, sorry to hear it. Those are incredibly nice guitars and the way they're treated in-store at these places is such a let down. Played the 6 string version locally and a Cherry Burst BFR, and they were both amazing sans the dried fretboards and grimy/dirty strings.

Get them to give you an incredibly generous partial refund because that's FAR from what they described, or get them to order a brand new one and have it sent straight to you. And you're right, the Quilt models are a couple hundred more expensive than the Flame Maple Tops.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That sucks. :(

But that Bali Blue over flame is still gorgeous.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
:noway:
Send it back. Wether by ignorance or just plain wanton greed, they manage to skip over/withhold flaws you'd asked them to check for. Instead of offering an upfront refund, they're still focused on retaining short-term profit when they should be trying to gain a long term customer.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
The blatantly insufficient packaging, lies about the condition and specs of the guitar and recklessness should warrant a refund, or replacement. But I don't know how easy they are to deal with in that regard. :noway:

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Wow, completely unacceptable. They better at least give you 4-500 back. One for paying the 200 extra cause it was a "quilt" and at least 2-300 for the damages considering that's how much would be knocked off your initial amount i.f you came to re sell it. Or they resend you an accurate guitar.

zhunt1130

Slightly Progessive
Reaction score
Coming from a dude that works at GC, this is the kind of stuff that really irritates me. Most know that employees work off commission. There's a 100% guarantee whoever you dealt with didn't even look the guitar over. That whole thing about it being in the box, no way in hell. That thing was certainly pulled right out of the box when it got there and hung on the wall for every 15 year old who can't play to point at and beat around on a butchered version of Icarus Lives for 2 hrs. I'm glad to say I've never done anything this ridiculous to a customer, especially a 7 string player.

Wanna know how to get back at them? There's an area of the website for customer service complaints, find that and write a report on the person you dealt with(their name should be on your receipts). This will get sent directly to the store manager and will also ping a report to the district manager. When these things come in, people freak, and they take care of the issue. Threaten to return and you'll get whatever you want.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
:hber:I would kill someone! Holy shit that's bad, and to be lied to like that??? WTF are they thinking. Send it back, get your money, and write corporate. That is in terrible shape to be full price and all. What the serious .... dude. Sorry you are dealing with that shit. The flame does look good, and the bali burts color too. But still, I would never accept paying for something I didn't want, plus having it damaged?? Uh uh.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
You bought a floor model from GC and thought it wouldn't be ....ed up somehow? Okay... They are in it to sell product bud, You should have known better than to believe some girl over the phone that most likely knows nothing about guitar to tell you the details about it.

They aren't going to treat you the same way you would get at a mom and pop shop or specialty store. It's a guitar center. Walmart of music.

Be happy you got a rare JP12 with fixable blemishes and epic flame top. I'd shit myself just to have a regular JP7 in flat black! cheer up dudebro.

FallOfHumanity

Reaction score
Duuuuuude... That's brutal. Super sorry to hear that. As much as I love your JP12-7, if you really want it back, we can figure something out. I'd rather you make use of it if this one doesn't work out for you.

')